You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Former GN'R Manager Alan Niven Counters Axl's Claims

Bono wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

This is a good article and helps place a few pieces of the puzzle together. However, I would like to know why Niven(and others) waited so long to speak publicly on the matter. This type of information should have come out years ago when it might have had a chance at making a sliver of an impact instead of waiting to the point where pop culture no longer cares and huge chunks of the original fan base have moved on. It would be like dropping the atom bomb on Japan years after World War II ended.

Its cool of Niven to speak out on the subject and luckily he has an outlet interested in printing it, but in my opinion its a case of too little, too late.

It's most definately not a  case of too little too late. Everyone wants Axl to say his piece yet nobody can refute or comment on what Axl has to say a decade after the fact? No way James. The only guy who's waited to long to have his say is Axl himself. he's had a decade to conjur up whatever the hell story he's gonna go with. So he as well as us, should fully expect and want a response from anyone involved with the band from back in the day.  There's no way in hell Axl shoudl get free reign to say anything he wants in 2009 without any fallout or reaction fro those who were there and involved.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
madagas wrote:

"That band, in my opinion, played its last show on April 7, 1990. Farm Aid, Indianapolis.”

I'll START with this....I agree but would have set the date a little further up in time to Nov 1991 when Izzy left.

That's a great line by Niven and understand why he said it(obviously), but I agree with you that the band truly ceased to be GNR the moment that Izzy bailed.

While his departure didn't get a ton of media play, I knew that things would never be the same. Even though Axl and Slash got most of the attention(and Duff as well), Izzy was the real creative spark in the band. The post 91 resume is all anyone needs to see. They became a glorified cover band doing a massive tour when he left.

I don't think it's much of a coincidence that GNR only put out covers after Izzy left.  It really shows how crucial he was to writing material.  And really, listening to AFD, Lies and UYI you can really tell that Izzy was a huge part of the song structures and writing. 

I don't think Farm Aid was the last GNR show either, because they could have carried on without Steven.  But without Izzy it was never the same. 

I was actually surprised to see that Izzy didn't write any of CD. 16  Of course, Paul Huge then basically stepped into Izzy's shoes in a way.  Not entirely of course. 

I wonder how many people would bitch if it was GNR with just Izzy and Axl.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

This is a good article and helps place a few pieces of the puzzle together. However, I would like to know why Niven(and others) waited so long to speak publicly on the matter. This type of information should have come out years ago when it might have had a chance at making a sliver of an impact instead of waiting to the point where pop culture no longer cares and huge chunks of the original fan base have moved on. It would be like dropping the atom bomb on Japan years after World War II ended.

Its cool of Niven to speak out on the subject and luckily he has an outlet interested in printing it, but in my opinion its a case of too little, too late.

I dunno, I respect him for keeping his troubles with Axl "in house" for so long. Axl made some pretty bold allegations with his rant to the fans and I really did wonder if anyone would respond. People were hoping for a Slash retort, but he's had his say in his book and I dont think he will even comment at all further.

Axl painted Niven as an evil doer from the moment he fired him and still continues that song. But yet the one guy who had his head screwed on tight  during that period, Izzy, left GN'R and then hired Niven as his manager for his Ju Ju Hounds thing.
To me that indicates that Axls problem was purely personal rather than from Niven being untrustworthy as a business man.

I guess this will be yet another piece of information that the GN'R "camp" will label lies from a liar.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Elton Rose 16

Its hard to tell what to make of this. I don't think Axl is the victim he sometimes claims to be, but there is now way I'm holding what Niven says as the gospel. I mean, managers are all slippery dicks for the most part. Never met one who wasn't. And they have a history of screwing artists out of money.  And they are all master spin meisters in the PR department.... In a weird way, if what he's saying is true, I'm kind of glad Axl fucked him over..... I'm sure there is a lot more here Niven isn't saying. The band members aren't hurting for money, and they still have a say in things, so I don't really see Axl's take over as a bad thing, really. Not as bad as some bands who are victims of their managers.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Interesting read, although Slash pretty much says in his book that they felt Alan was Axl's guy to control the rest of the band and alan was always pro-Axl and they (he) felt Niven didn't stand for their interests and the manager rather shuned the confrontation with Axl to make the singer 'happy'.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

^mikka slash said that about goldstein, not niven

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I've just checked (although it's a translation, not the original book) and it backs my words.
On the other hand, he describes Goldstein as an Axl-minion, so it seems that Alan was better (for the rest of the band), but even he was more on Axl's side, or if you like it better, wanted to keep peace nad the band alive, and it seemed easier to stick with the bi-polar guy and convince the others to make compromises.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Olorin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I dunno, I respect him for keeping his troubles with Axl "in house" for so long. Axl made some pretty bold allegations with his rant to the fans and I really did wonder if anyone would respond. People were hoping for a Slash retort, but he's had his say in his book and I dont think he will even comment at all further.

Axl painted Niven as an evil doer from the moment he fired him and still continues that song. But yet the one guy who had his head screwed on tight  during that period, Izzy, left GN'R and then hired Niven as his manager for his Ju Ju Hounds thing.
To me that indicates that Axls problem was purely personal rather than from Niven being untrustworthy as a business man.

I guess this will be yet another piece of information that the GN'R "camp" will label lies from a liar.

Oh guaranteed. You'll get Del or Beta running out there with the "disgrunted ex-employees" nonsense.

Sky Dog wrote:

If I say I don't need anyone
I can say these things to you
'Cause
I can turn on any one
Just like I turned on you
I've got a tongue like a razor
A sweet switchblade knife
And I can do you favors
But then you'll do whatever I like

hmmm.....foreshadowing.....

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
madagas wrote:

If I say I don't need anyone
I can say these things to you
'Cause
I can turn on any one
Just like I turned on you
I've got a tongue like a razor
A sweet switchblade knife
And I can do you favors
But then you'll do whatever I like

hmmm.....foreshadowing.....

Not really, considering the fact Bret Michaels is more relevant than Axl Rose at this point.

Board footer