You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Prostitute

James wrote:
Big Gun wrote:

james, it's missing tthe old members

That's not really what I was insinuating. I guess anyone could make that case, but that's not what I was trying to convey with my post.

Good music can be made without Slash. I don't think Slash is a necessary component for Axl to move forward. Just too many hands were in the cookie jar.

Imagine instead of Soundgarden releasing Down on the Upside in 96, they break up and Cornell toys with the ideas for a decade. The finished product would have been diluted beyond recognition. Imagine Cornell allowing Shepard's killer bass tone to be stripped away on Overfloater so Morello could wank all over it instead.

Sometimes less is more.

Big Gun
 Rep: 11 

Big Gun wrote:

i only used what you said just to make my own point - i know you werent trying to say that. you're right, good music can be made without slash, but great gnr music cant be made without slash izzy duff...just my opinion.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Slash and Duff would have made CD horrible.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
misterID wrote:

Slash and Duff would have made CD horrible.

It's kinda a hypothetical question. Slash & Duff would have never played on these songs, but a few. They obviously wouldn't write this kind of music (mostly). Period.
They would have made some songs that suits them a bit, or let's say suits GN'R more GN'Rish. SOD, This I Love, Madagascar, IRS, CITR, TWAT comes to my mind. I think as time went by, they changed their music aims, too, so Scraped or even Sorry wouldn't be out of the question, as some Contraband tracks (Headspace, Big Machine, Superhuman) could have easily made CD with more electronica.

Anyway, they won't team up in the near future, if ever. I can't wait to hear Slash's solo album though.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I don't think Slash and Duff would bring the kind of music to a present day GNR record you guys think they would.  Headspace, Big Machine and Superhuman could have made a 1996 GNR record with Fall To Pieces, but those days are long gone.

And my main point was: most of the best songs on CD were made by current members.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

some of us are still stuck in the 90's thank you very much 16

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I think Slash had a uncanny knack of taking an Axl song and making it more interesting. He could also break up the song and take it some place else for  a while. Prostitute could have used some thing like that, After hearing the "demo" I thought it was lacking, I was sure the album version would have a mindblowing Bucket solo to break up the song.
Axl seems to have a repetitive way of writing music, its transparent on CD, more than half of the songs are the same melody and lyrics repeated over and over. Unfortunatly imo, less than half the songs have a guitar solo that really takes the song to another place.

For me ITW, TWAT, Scraped, Sorry and Maddy have the solos that I consider the best on the album and are most enjoyable.
I think CD, Better and SOD have ok solos, they dont make me want to pick up the guitar though.
For the rest, I think they are just pretty forgetable.

deadsouth
 Rep: 10 

deadsouth wrote:
Neemo wrote:

some of us are still stuck in the 90's thank you very much 16

are you the same Neemo who posts on cd.com?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

^no

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
misterID wrote:

I don't think Slash and Duff would bring the kind of music to a present day GNR record you guys think they would.  Headspace, Big Machine and Superhuman could have made a 1996 GNR record with Fall To Pieces, but those days are long gone.

And my main point was: most of the best songs on CD were made by current members.

We got the 1997-1999 GN'R album with a few songs added, so it wouldn't change much. I don't think that SOD or TIL would be more 'contemporary' than FTP or Messages, as Scraped or IRS doesn't sound more modern than Headspace or Superhuman. Anyway, I enjoy Axl's lyrics and melodies and Slash's energy and natural born talent. Unfortunately I have to enjoy it on different records, but life ain't perfect.

Board footer