You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Prostitute

Olorin wrote:

Sorry if I'm a bit slow and this is old hat, but I think I've just realised the song is Axl writing to the GN'R fans and its not about some chick.  Mabye I noticed before, cant really remember.

I was going to break it down piece by piece but your all bright enough to understand what I mean.

Anyway I think its about the Chinese Democracy saga, his troubled relationship with the fans, how he is feeling and what the future holds.

I'm wondering what he means by "forgive what you have, for what you might lose",
-is it about the album we got? He certainly doesnt seem very interested in the one that came out.

"up and away, its what I got to do" is a little worrying for the immediate future also.

Oh I dunno, I was smoking some chronic the other night and I just tuned right into this song, played it over and over. I was thinking about Axl and the circumstances surrounding this album, its release and the ensuing silence. It just seemed like he was telling a pretty explicit story to us in this song and we missed it.

"Seems like forever and a day...

If my intentions are misunderstood,
Please be kind I´ve done all I should.

I won't ask of you what I would not do.
Oh, I saw the damage in you, my fortunate one, the envy of youth.

Why would they tell me to please those that laugh in my face.
When all of the reasons they've taught us
Fall over themselves to give way

It´s not a question of whether my heart is true
Streamlined I had to pull through
Look for a new beginning on you
Oh I got a message for you
Up and away, it´s what I gotta do
Forgive what you have for what you might lose.

What would you say if I told you that I´m to blame
And what would you do if I had to deny your name
Where would you go if I told you I love you and then walked away
And who should I turn to if not for the ones you would not save

I told you when I found you if there were doubts you should be careful
and unafraid
Now they surround you and all that amounts to is love that you fed by perversion and pain

So if my affections are misunderstood and you decide I´m up to no good
Don´t ask me to enjoy them, just for you

Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame
When you should have turned to the hearts of the ones that you could not save

I told you when I found you all that amounts to is love that you fed by
perversion and pain
"

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Sorry if I'm a bit slow and this is old hat, but I think I've just realised the song is Axl writing to the GN'R fans and its not about some chick.  Mabye I noticed before, cant really remember.

Anyway I think its about the Chinese Democracy saga, his troubled relationship with the fans, how he is feeling and what the future holds.

Absolutely. I understand why this song closes the album (and why Chinese Democracy is the first song). I still hate the tune though, I think it's the weakest song on the album and in the whole GN'R catalogue. The whole song sounds forced, with no idea at all and the horrible drum loop and the even worse Beltrami synth orchestra blows the song into the ridiculous cathegory. Sorry. It sounds like a 12-year old's first try with Fasttracker 2.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread. I don't think we should over-analyze Axl's lyrics since those reflect to his mood at a time. Prostitute's been around for a decade, so it's his 1998-1999 confession letter to the fans. Mail delivery's quite slow these days, isn't it?

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

good call olorin

i don't really like the song so i never considered what is about but reading the lyrics, now, i think you may be right.

i do like the lyrics for the most part as well.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

If that's about the fans then that's really really... weird.

Great song tho...

Brilliant lyrics.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I think it is at any rate, given the current circumstances, the song says a lot to me.

Kind of wishing I never voted it off 14

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Does this mean Axl told me he loves me? 16

Seriously, I had not thought of that.   It does make sense.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

well now you've all figured out its a nice love letter to the fans, maybe he can write another song explaining why it sounds like a demo of a demo.
Just sounds half finished to me..

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

If I had to bash anything about this great song, it's that it's formula seems a bit unbalanced. Depends on your preference. The more rockin' part in the middle is cool.

But just out of pure preference, I would rather heard more a Mother Goose-driven Prostitute, like the outro.

Once again, still a great song tho. Top-tier track on CD, and probably in GNR's Top-20 at least, if not higher.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

This song could've and probably was written before there was a CD saga, or album.  I don't think its about the fans. It has "woman" written all over it to me.

I think its a great song. I have it right next to Estranged.

Board footer