You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: GNR Up for a Juno Award

BLS-Pride wrote:

AC/DC, GUNS N' ROSES, METALLICA Among JUNO AWARDS Nominees - Feb. 3, 2009
AC/DC's "Black Ice", GUNS N' ROSES' "Chinese Democracy" and METALLICA's "Death Magnetic" have been nominated in the "International Album Of The Year" category at this year's Juno Awards, it was announced today (February 3) at a media conference at Toronto's Fairmont Royal York Hotel. Also nominated in the "Recording Engineer Of The Year" category was Mike Fraser for his work on AC/DC's "Rock N' Roll Train" single. The awards show, hosted by comedian Russell Peters, will air on Sunday, March 29 on CTV from General Motors Place in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

The Juno Awards are presented annually to Canadian musical artists and bands to acknowledge their artistic and technical achievements in all aspects of music. New members of the Canadian Music Hall of Fame are also inducted as part of the awards ceremonies.

Winners are currently chosen by members of the Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences or, depending on the award, a panel of experts. In almost all of the main general categories, such as "Album of the Year" or "Artist of the Year", nominees are determined by sales during the qualifying period; in genre-specific categories, they are determined by panel.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Canada seems to know what's up.  I can only imagine the nominees for such an award in the US.  Taylor Swift, Britney Spears, and Beyonce perhaps?  Or is this not overall album?  Is it just rock album?

faldor

faldor wrote:

Here's a little more info on the Juno Awards.  I guess the International Album award is the only NON Canadian award.  Some funny knocks at Nickelback in this writeup.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blog … unced.aspx

The 2009 JUNO Award nominations were announced on Tuesday at a media conference at Toronto's Fairmont Royal York Hotel.

Nickelback leads the awards with five nominations, including Album of the Year and Group of the Year. Sam Roberts trails the group with four nominations including Artist of the Year and Rock Album of the Year. 

Celine Dion is tied with Hedley, earning three JUNO Award nominations.

Other nominees include Michael Bublé and Kardinal Offishall for Single of the Year. Alanis Morissette and Kreesha Turner are both nominated for Pop Album of the Year.

Judging by this year's nominations, they are scraping at the bottom of the barrel for talent. Leading the nominations, this group can have their nickel back since I fail to see how their songs are worth more than that. Besides the claim that their songs all sound the same (which they do), I don't see how and why Nickelback received five nominations, surpassing Celine Dion and other Canadian musicians. But the group fails to be nominated in either pop or rock album categories, which makes me think that Canada has some respect for its pop and rock music.

The nominations for International Album of the Year category lack diversity. AC/DC, Coldplay, Guns N' Roses, Jack Johnson and Metallica are competing to win the non-Canadian award.

Overall, there are no real nail-biters. But the female musicians who are recognized, including Feist, Alanis Morissette and Ivana Santilli represent some of Canada's strongest women in music.

The awards show, hosted by comedian Russell Peters airs on CTV on Sunday, March 29 from General Motors Place in
Vancouver, BC.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Makes sense. Canada is typically more rock than the United States. That's just a  fact. On any given week you are much more lkely to find one or more rock albums in Canada's top five than you are in the States. I'm not surprise by the International nominees

faldor

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:

Makes sense. Canada is typically more rock than the United States. That's just a  fact. On any given week you are much more lkely to find one or more rock albums in Canada's top five than you are in the States. I'm not surprise by the International nominees

I might have to move to Canada

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I know, I agree faldor. Bono should let us crash at his place.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

14 Anytime guys. And dont' forget we have better beer too 19

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Bono wrote:

14 Anytime guys. And dont' forget we have better beer too 19

Fuck yeah! Don't get more rock n' roll than that! 9