You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: New Guitarist for GNR?

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Here's the main issue with bringing in someone new....

The hardcores are the ONLY people who give a shit about this band. Those hardcores are more interested in something resembling the line up that recorded the majority of the record to tour behind it. When you bring in every Tom, Dick, and Harry, it starts the cycle of 'this isn't GNR, its a bunch of no names, blah blah blah' that has dominated the new era since its existence.
Each time someone new is brought in, the fan base dwindles even more. The hardcores have been loyal for years. It reaches a point where they don't even know what they are supporting anymore.

Interesting post james and I'd say that's true...the only problem is....to be fair to Axl...reuniting with the ex members of New Guns doesn't really seem to be an option.

I'd say he could have made a reunion with old gnr work by now if the desire was there (which it clearly isn't from his posts) - but slash and co would have strong reason to rejoin GNR despite whatever bullshit goes down - as rightly or wrongly - the media will always see them as GNR members in some regard...getting back in the band for them might be a tough sell cos of the eventual drama...but it would come with a fat pay check, and a sence of belonging mentally by going back to their old friendships, the joy of the thousands of fans of the old band and acceptance from the press.

This isn't the case with Robin and Bucket. What do they have to gain from being back in GNR? I mean other than the obvious coolness of working with talented dudes like Axl..but they arn't going to be getting the same kind of pay check that an old reunion would, they arn't going to be getting media acceptance (if anything probably more heckling), the fan base is divided stronly between loving them and wanting them gone....I'm just saying...bucket seems like a strange guy who does his own thing anyway, robin is in a big band doing tours of the world with less drama...I'm not sure it would be easy to lure them back to GNR. So we may have to consider...Axl might want to reunite the Chinese lineup - but actually not be able to do it.

So we bring in new people. Now I agree that everytime a newbee comes in it adds to the revolving door and the "this isnt a band" comments...but then again...its nice to see the band doing something, and I think a lot of those comments also come from the periods of apparent inactivity in the media between years of action.

Another thing to consider, is that perhaps finding the 'right' guitarists to fit in would be accepted a lot better than people thing. I'm not saying if this kid is right or not as I havnt really heard more than a few seconds. But I think a lot of the Slash guys hate fink because he plays the old solos in a very different way...and a lot of people love fortus because he doesn't.

There are of course a proportion of people who will never be satisified without the old band. But I do feel...if GNR could assemble an arsenal of guitarists....who were technically beyond reproach in terms of clear overwhelming guitar ability, then hold with that line up for a number of years, tour behind it and put out some music with it...then acceptance could finally come. But thats a lot to ask.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

After watching the amp vid, I can state that this guy isn't GN'R quality.

I don't find anything in Ron's statment that would deny the little guy is in the cards though.

I agree the statement doesn't necessarily mean the kid isn't being considered as a replacement.  Assuming they need a replacement I think he'd have to be under consideration since he's jammed with the band.  I'm sure Ron was just trying to squash the rumors before they began.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Please let this happen...

john5.jpg

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

^^

Yes... But I think that would only happen if Bumblefoot left.

And people need to get it through their heads that GNR is the new King Crimson. There will probably be a different line up on each record.

axlgod
 Rep: 16 

axlgod wrote:

i hope fortus' is out, i mean, that nose is a joke.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

no where.......I still don't get why Tobias would not be involved since he co-wrote 4 songs and played on a bunch of others. He could just play rhythm.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Axl said Paul would still most likely be involved in some capacity, as far as writing and collaborating on songs.  It's been said Paul doesn't like to tour and play in front of large crowds, or something to that effect, that's why there's a need for Richard.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I agree with the above post.

If Axl is looking for another guitarist he should get someone completely unknown although it wouldn't really matter because alot of "fans" would be comparing the guitarist to Slash or Bucket which is a really stupid thing to do.

Board footer