You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The JAMES BOND 007 Thread

AtariLegend wrote:

I just saw it a week later than intended!

As a fan of the older movies (in otherwords not being on the movies were crap until Craig joined bandwagon) I liked it. It does seem more like a traditional Bond movie in parts, that's more though due to the references to older movies that will go over most people's heads.

I'd say just over half of the film is pretty good, but the final 3rd is abit lackluster. I expected a bit more to be honest, although others likely won't care that much.

Fortunately they changed a few things from the leaked script, however on the downside there's a few iffy things to be picky about. The retcons to the previous Craig films although understandable, don't make much sense.

Hidden Text:

The trailer gave away way too much and the "connection" is way too forced and completely unnecessary.

It's still very enjoyable, but it could have been a classic.

Hidden Text:

FYI I'm glad they didn't kill off blofield. Would have been a massive waste to go years and finally have the rights again to immediately kill him off. I wonder if that final scene which I liked means the next film opens with the end of "On Her Majesty's Secret Service".

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The "rebooted" Bond has been straying towards the old formula since Quantum of Solace. Personally I'm pleased at this and not surprised to see it continue in Spectre. Perhaps the most obvious call back to the old movies if we are going by the title.

Hope Craig gets at least another film. I like my Bonds to have at least 5. Gives them time to evolve, own the part. Lazenby, Dalton and Brosnan never felt quite at home in their films. Trying to be Bond instead of actually being it.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Went to see this today. A bit like the reviews I have mixed feelings about Spectre. On the one hand the set pieces and action was excellent, real edge of the seat sequences. On the other I felt it was a fairly lazy story and if I'm honest I think Craig phoned this one in a bit.

There were some obvious deliberate references to older films but at times the film was VERY Roger Moore era and not necessarily in a good way.

Not sure they needed to link up all the Craig era films as one connected plot either. CR and QoS were a linked plot anyway, Spectre could have continued that without needing to crowbar in Skyfall as well.

Hidden Text:

The timeline continuation from Skyfall was fine, I just don't see why Silva suddenly had to be a member of Spectre for no apparent reason. Neither do I see why Blofeld and Bond had to have some past connection, it felt there for the sake of it, I thought the old man (Monthomery) from Skyfall had raised him anyway, not Blofelds Dad?

That being said I enjoyed it in the cinema and I'm probably being over critical due to the gems the Craig era has mostly served up so far. I'd say this falls below CR and Skyfall but is better than QoS.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Saw it Friday. Was good, not great. Felt like a setup for another movie at the end.

The good:

-massive opening sequence
-boring craig. I like how it is routine for Bond.
-waltz was a good blofeld, could be great for a sequel as is.
-henchman was decent mix between menace and cheese
-the humor
-the homages
-bond girl

The bad

-story falls apart half way through
-anti climatic

AtariLegend wrote:

Actor Sir Roger Moore, best known for playing James Bond, has died aged 89, his family has announced.

He played the famous spy in seven Bond films including Live and Let Die and A View to a Kill.
Sir Roger's family confirmed the news on Twitter, saying he had died after "a short but brave battle with cancer".
The statement, from his children, read: "Thank you Pops for being you, and being so very special to so many people."
"With the heaviest of hearts, we must share the awful news that our father, Sir Roger Moore, passed away today. We are all devastated," they said in a Twitter post.

The actor took the character of James Bond in a more humorous direction than his predecessor Sean Connery.

Sir Roger's Bond was calm and suave - a smooth operator who could seemingly get himself out of a tricky situation with ease.
The veteran star, who died in Switzerland, will have a private funeral in Monaco in accordance with his wishes, his children said.
"The love with which he was surrounded in his final days was so great it cannot be quantified in words alone," read the statement from Deborah, Geoffrey and Christian.
"Our thoughts must now turn to supporting Kristina [Tholstrup, his wife] at this difficult time."
The statement added: "We know our own love and admiration will be magnified many times over, across the world, by people who knew him for his films, his television shows and his passionate work for UNICEF which he considered to be his greatest achievement.

Along with his famous Bond role, Moore was also known for TV series The Persuaders and The Saint.
Sir Roger was also well known for his humanitarian work - he was introduced to Unicef by the late Audrey Hepburn and was appointed as a goodwill ambassador in 1991.
Stars pay tribute
Russell Crowe led the tributes to the actor on Twitter, writing simply: "Roger Moore, loved him."
Michael Ball said: "My dearest uncle Roger has passed on. What a sad, sad day this is. Loved the bones of him. Generous, funny, beautiful and kind."
Mia Farrow wrote: "Few are as kind & giving as was Roger Moore. Loving thoughts with his family & friends," while Boy George added: "RIP Sir Roger Moore. He was the king of cool."
Duran Duran, who sang the Bond theme song for A View To A Kill, simply tweeted: RIP Roger.
In a statement, fellow Unicef ambassador and actor Ewan McGregor said: "Thank you, Roger, for having championed so tirelessly the rights of all children for the last 26 years.
"You've shown that we all have the power to make a change to the lives of the most vulnerable children."

Moore's Bond movies
Live and Let Die (1973)
The Man with the Golden Gun (1974)
The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)
Moonraker (1979)
For Your Eyes Only (1981)
Octopussy (1983)
A View to a Kill (1985)

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40018422

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Yea I heard about this today...i didn't realize how old he was...

RIP Roger...u will be missed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Wow. I was never a huge Bond fan but he was my favorite one hands down. I have not watched his movies since the late 80s.

Actually, I haven't watched a Bond movie since Goldeneye.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, he was the one some people didn't view as Bond, I think we kinda grew up with him as it, so to us he was Bond. Others view Sean Connery as the only Bond imho.

I was never a big Bond fan, always liked the concept, just never watched many of the movies. Older ones at least, didn't get into the new ones. I considered looking into a box set of them years ago,, just to have them and watch when I can.

RIP Bond. James Bond.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Rest in Peace, Sir Roger Moore. My favorite Bond growing up, now, and forever. A big heart and a beautiful soul. The kind of man you do your best to emulate. Thank you for the warmth that you brought to this world. Nobody Did It Better.

18581515_228656354288114_5108021431388468011_n.jpg?oh=e6df3f2ea787861be6d2fe08d57400f4&oe=5A119E61

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

RIP.

In other bond related news I read the other day there are plans to develop "spinoffs" so it has it's own "universe" of related movies like marvel / godzilla etc.

I dunno if this means we get a felix movie and a moneypenny movie or what.

I love bond films but I think that wouldn't end up well.

Board footer