You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Hip Hop takes a stab at If the World

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The only way this album will get a legitimate second wind is if half the tracks are marketed towards the adult contemporary/easy listening crowd. Half of Chinese Democracy is a Simply Red EP, so market it towards that crowd and they might have a hit on their hands.

If the World(or insert another ballad here) is dead on arrival at rock radio.

You take If The World, and you stick a rap remix by Eminem or Kanye West on it... it'll be a hit.

Problem is, it isn't like people will be able to run out and buy the album with the track on it, because it wouldn't exist, unless CD was instantly re-issued with a bonus 15th track.

That's what B sides on a single are for. Unfortunately, B sides to GNR are songs already on the album, or no B sides at all.

Thats just one extra reason these singles tanked. Why buy them as a fan if you already have the record and there are no bonuses?

When they unleashed CD as a single, it should have been accompanied by a track or two on Itunes. They didn't, so even the hardcores didn't touch it and it didn't even register on Itunes's radar.

I was thinking today that the only song on the album that would be decent on radio is IRS as it may be the closest song on the album to having old Axl vocal swagger....lyrics are kinda silly but radio likes that! Huge ripping solo, pretty solid Sabbath type riff. I don't know, but they should throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

Out of the few rockers left, its definitely the best option.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I like If the World the best on the album.  My favorite song.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The only way this album will get a legitimate second wind is if half the tracks are marketed towards the adult contemporary/easy listening crowd. Half of Chinese Democracy is a Simply Red EP, so market it towards that crowd and they might have a hit on their hands.

I don't buy that.  There are plenty of successful ballads out there.  GNR had them in their prime, bands like Buckcherry, Shinedown, Papa Roach, Avenged Sevenfold all have had successful ballads on rock radio.  I think the "softness" of this album is overblown.  It is NOT an adult contemporary album.  Now if you're saying any ballad would be dead because they don't bother to promote/make video.  Then I'll believe that, but not because it's a slow song.

James

James wrote:
faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I don't buy that.  There are plenty of successful ballads out there.  GNR had them in their prime, bands like Buckcherry, Shinedown, Papa Roach, Avenged Sevenfold all have had successful ballads on rock radio.  I think the "softness" of this album is overblown.  It is NOT an adult contemporary album.  Now if you're saying any ballad would be dead because they don't bother to promote/make video.  Then I'll believe that, but not because it's a slow song.

Of course its not an adult contemporary album. It has Riad, Shackler's Revenge,etc. on it. It does have elements of that on it.

When did Papa Roach have a This I Love type ballad at the top of the rock charts? If they did, why didn't any of Barry Manilow's hits dominate the rock charts?

Its funny how some get a bit defensive when you insinuate this music is in the Manilow/Simply Red,etc. category. What's wrong with that? If you think This I Love is gonna shoot to the top of the rock charts, more power to ya. Just don't be surprised when it tanks harder than the actual rock tracks on the record. I know the track would be more suited on a playlist next to Simply Red, Manilow, Secada, Mcdonald,etc. than a rock playlist next to Metallica, Buckcherry, Avenged Sevenfold,etc.

I don't know if you're a Simply Red fan or not, but were you wanting the song Mellow My Mind to go up against Kid Rock and Limp Bizkit on the rock charts nine years ago?

It just seems like those campaigning for hits would like it if the songs would be marketed where they would become hits.

faldor

faldor wrote:

I'm just commenting on how some people act like GNR has never come out with a ballad before.  Were they Simply Red when they came out with all the ballads on UYI?  If so, then I stand corrected.  I just don't remember people making that comparison back then.

Papa Roach's current single, "Lifeline" is slower than their normal stuff.  Nowhere near "This I Love", but it's not exactly a hard rocker and it's getting plenty of airplay and not being compared to Barry Manilow.

James

James wrote:
faldor wrote:

I'm just commenting on how some people act like GNR has never come out with a ballad before.  Were they Simply Red when they came out with all the ballads on UYI?  If so, then I stand corrected.  I just don't remember people making that comparison back then.

Papa Roach's current single, "Lifeline" is slower than their normal stuff.  Nowhere near "This I Love", but it's not exactly a hard rocker and it's getting plenty of airplay and not being compared to Barry Manilow.

We're not talking about GNR in their prime.

Who thinks GNR never came out with a ballad before? I sure hope you aren't insinuating me in that analysis. I'm not talking about 1987-91. I know Axl and his inner circle want us talking about that time frame and its aftermath, but we're talking about 2009 in this thread.

Is Chris Cornell gonna market his new singles on rock charts? I doubt it, because he wants them to be successful. He'll be aiming them at the pop/R&B charts, which is where they belong.

faldor

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
faldor wrote:

We're not talking about GNR in their prime.

Who thinks GNR never came out with a ballad before? I sure hope you aren't insinuating me in that analysis. I'm not talking about 1987-91. I know Axl and his inner circle want us talking about that time frame and its aftermath, but we're talking about 2009 in this thread.

Is Chris Cornell gonna market his new singles on rock charts? I doubt it, because he wants them to be successful. He'll be aiming them at the pop/R&B charts, which is where they belong.

I wasn't talking about you in general.  Simply how I've read comments about how light this album was like that was a huge surprise.  It's not like GNR has been a heavy metal band throughout their history.

I'm not buying GNR needs to be marketed to an adult contemporary audience.  You think those people will buy CD and rock out to "Shackler's Revenge"?  This music is not THAT much different than their past releases that they need to completely market to different audiences. 

I'm not arguing that this isn't GNR in its prime either.  I've stated that many times over the last few months/years.  Axl Rose and Guns N' Roses are not going to appeal to my mother anytime soon.  Trust me, I've tried going down that road, it doesn't work.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

This is a very softcore album. Its not hard rock at all.  Its more like industrial meets progressive rock with very little blues elements left in.

James

James wrote:

The album cant be marketed towards your mom, but the single sure can. wink

When she was listening to More than Words I highly doubt she was listening to Get the Funk Out.

deadsouth
 Rep: 10 

deadsouth wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

A rapper named St. Laz using If the World. Not really sampling it as to just rapping over it. Prob for a mixtape or he himself is a fan of the band or song and wanted to rap over it.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/audio/id. … -the-world

Some love for the song itself by the people who commented.

this was already done Jun 18 by buddyhead.com

and was done much better I might add

Board footer