You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: Hip Hop takes a stab at If the World

BLS-Pride wrote:

A rapper named St. Laz using If the World. Not really sampling it as to just rapping over it. Prob for a mixtape or he himself is a fan of the band or song and wanted to rap over it.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/audio/id. … -the-world

Some love for the song itself by the people who commented.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Not sure if that was needed.  I have no idea who St. Laz is, anyone?  I guess it's cool the song is getting some props but I don't exactly see this kicking things into high gear.

Good find though.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Fuck, I was expecting a bit more creativity with the song, not just rapping over the solo.

I was actually going to start a thread discussing If The World. I really think if they market this song right it could be a surprise hit single. Its unique in its sound, cant be accused of trying to be like GN'R of old, cant be accused of being self indulgent. Its just a short fun song thats quite catchy.

Look at the comments on that site and they dig the song, in fact they are telling this rapper he killed the song 14

If The World could be a dark horse.

(how much does that original intro kick the new ones backside?!)

faldor

faldor wrote:

Yeah I kept waiting for the rapping, he could've done much more on it.  But in the end I think he should've done a lot less.

I've said this before, but a friend of mine who isn't/wasn't a GNR fan (at least not the new band) LOVES "If The World".

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I think If the World should be the choice if the next single isn't a rocker. I think it would do good. The final version made me like the song. It's one of my favorites off the album.

I was also expecting something a little more creative but I saw it and decided to post it since the only news is Axl's feelings on Slash and how there are no plans to tour.

faldor

faldor wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

I think If the World should be the choice if the next single isn't a rocker. I think it would do good. The final version made me like the song. It's one of my favorites off the album.

I was also expecting something a little more creative but I saw it and decided to post it since the only news is Axl's feelings on Slash and how there are no plans to tour.

Good move.  Thank you for changing things up, even if it's only for a little bit.  It'd be an interesting choice for a single.  Not a full blown ballad, more funk based.  And as was stated, far different than anything the old lineup ever did.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

I still like the Buddyhead version better.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The only way this album will get a legitimate second wind is if half the tracks are marketed towards the adult contemporary/easy listening crowd. Half of Chinese Democracy is a Simply Red EP, so market it towards that crowd and they might have a hit on their hands.

If the World(or insert another ballad here) is dead on arrival at rock radio.

Sky Dog wrote:

I was thinking today that the only song on the album that would be decent on radio is IRS as it may be the closest song on the album to having old Axl vocal swagger....lyrics are kinda silly but radio likes that! Huge ripping solo, pretty solid Sabbath type riff. I don't know, but they should throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The only way this album will get a legitimate second wind is if half the tracks are marketed towards the adult contemporary/easy listening crowd. Half of Chinese Democracy is a Simply Red EP, so market it towards that crowd and they might have a hit on their hands.

If the World(or insert another ballad here) is dead on arrival at rock radio.

You take If The World, and you stick a rap remix by Eminem or Kanye West on it... it'll be a hit.

Problem is, it isn't like people will be able to run out and buy the album with the track on it, because it wouldn't exist, unless CD was instantly re-issued with a bonus 15th track.

Board footer