You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: The Album that Never Was

Neemo wrote:

So this has always been a subject that interested me...what would gnr hve produced had they remained togetehr and managed to release something during the mid-ninety's? Why in the gnr section do you ask? If THE MAN is stuck in 1995 then i can too. For my research I used Chinese Democracy, Duff's Believe In Me, 5 O'Clock Somewhere, Gilby's Pawnshop Guitars and Velvet Revolver's Contraband.

Now I'm sure that some will ask why i didnt include the JuJu Hounds Album? well in my defense I always considered Izzy outside the GnR circle after he left in 1990. So in this case i decided to not include it in my "Disk". For Velvet Revolver, the only track which received consideration was Fall to Pieces which Axl told us was in its infancy stages during the mid-ninety's before Slash left GnR.

For Chinese Democracy the only tracks considered were ones that had credits to those who were known to be in and around GnR before the last of the old members left...(ie, Paul Tobias, Dizzy Reed and Axl)

With those stipulations in place it came down to a small selection of Gilby Tunes and then trying to weedle down the Slash and Duff Tracks to a manageble number of songs to fit on one disk. You will see that soem songs have credits to Weiland or Dover, mostly for lyrics (I Think)

In the end the track list i came up with for this monster is as follows:

Guns N Roses - The Album That Never Was
01. Cure Me Or Kill Me (Clarke)
02. Soma City Ward (Slash, Sorum, Dover)
03. What Do You Want To Be (Slash, Sorum, Dover)
04. Man In The Meadow (Arkeen, McKagan)
05. I.R.S. (Rose Tobias, Reed)
06. Fall To Pieces (Slash, McKagan, Weiland, Sorum, Kushner)
07. Believe In Me (McKagan)
08. Tijuana Jail (Clarke)
09. Beggars & Hangers On (Slash, Dover, McKagan)
10. Catcher In The Rye (Rose, Tobias)
11. I Hate Everybody (But You) (Slash, Dover)
12. Dead Flowers (Jagger, Richards)
13. There Was A Time (Rose, Tobias, Reed)

I'm sure that some of you will disagree with the selection i have chosen, please comment and maybe we can come up with a selection that is a better cross section of this board's opinion...and for those that don't have, or its been a while since you heard, these tracks. Shoot me a PM and I'll help you locate them.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

I've said this same thing for years.  Even with how good some of these songs are, imagine how much better they could have been with the input of the other GNR member who weren't around.

AtariLegend wrote:

I'd easily prefer "Chinese Democracy" to those listings.

2008 Intentions
 Rep: 6 

its a good setlist, will be awesome if someone upload a rar with these songs

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Cure Me or Kill Me
Believe in Me
Neither Can I
Swamp Song
Could It Be You
Beggars and Hangers On
This I Love
Tijuana Jail
Dead Flowers
Let's Get Lost
Fall to Pieces
10 Years
Fucked Up Beyond Belief

That's a solid album to release in 1995, and took less than two years to record. I'm sure lyrics would have been reworked on some of these tracks, but the obvious choice for first single here is Cure Me or Kill Me.

Didn't include the CD era tracks because its just a Slash bitch fest and there's no way those kind of tracks would have existed in this alternate time line.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I'd easily prefer "Chinese Democracy" to those listings.

its not about what you prefer....its more about what could have been

2008 Intentions wrote:

its a good setlist, will be awesome if someone upload a rar with these songs

I had requested that people send me a pm for help on finding how to get these tracks so we wouldnt clutter up the thread with a million requests

James Lofton wrote:

Didn't include the CD era tracks because its just a Slash bitch fest and there's no way those kind of tracks would have existed in this alternate time line.

this reason is why i strictly kept it to tobias, reed and axl credits which possibly dates the tracks back to a 96-99 timeframe for writing, but more likely after Duff left in 97, until someone speaks about it we wont know though i suppose...alot of the track you i listed were in my intitial cut though james 5

James

James wrote:

Actually, I might include The Blues as it was probably written about Steph in the mid 90's. My tracklist isn't very long though(trying to avoid filler), and its already got several ballads.

They can include The Blues on the followup. 14

96-99

Fair point, but the wait basically turns into Chinese Democracy when we stretch it that far down into the decade. While these theoretical tracklists are solid, they are not worth a six year wait.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Ugh. I gotta admit, looking at your list Neemo, it blows. Just confirms to me that Izzy's solo stuff was the best after GNR. Without his tunes, that's a hard CD to swallow.

2008 Intentions
 Rep: 6 

This I Love should be in. There is a rumor about being soundtrack for a Robin Williams movie in 1991 or so.

And for IRS and TWAT there are "earlier" versions of E Trunk leaks, i had these sngs from cd.com

James

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Ugh. I gotta admit, looking at your list Neemo, it blows. Just confirms to me that Izzy's solo stuff was the best after GNR. Without his tunes, that's a hard CD to swallow.

Believe in Me
Shuffle It All
Beggars and Hangers On
Somebody Knockin
Swamp Song
Neither Can I
This I Love
Train Tracks
Could It Be You
Fall to Pieces
Time Gone By
Fucked Up Beyond Belief