You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: GnR holding audititons for a replacement for Robin?

polluxlm wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I'd say the team was so great in many seasons, yet they haven't achieved anything. ..So rid of the manager, Mr. Rose can't make a successful team.

Dizzy Reed is Guns N' Roses. Theories over at 2000 Intentions suggest he has been the hidden hand in not only only Guns, but all the great bands from Beatles to Led Zeppelin.

Anyone remember this? Me and a guy named Regal99 had a lot of fun at 2TI back in 2001. 16

AtariLegend wrote:

It might be a novel idea, but why don't they just stick to the guys that are already in the band.

I'm not sure how many songs actually necessitate more than 2 guitar players (plus Bass). Get Fortus to learn Finks parts.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Unless they can get John 5. Move Ron to Robin's spot a John would fit in perfectly.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

This 'band' functions like a soccer team. Fans are excited that who should they sign or rid of and care more about the transfer market than the actual performance.

Yeah, i've always thought the same thing, except baseball. Axl runs GN'R like the Yankees. The team is whoever is in free agency. The fans sit around, and instead of chatting about upcoming prospect talent from the farm, they just sit around and beat off to the idea of all of these free agents signing with the team, and then that'll guarantee a World Series (in Axl's case, worldwide musical success with new Guns).

There's nothing wrong with 'building' a franchise. The 1997 Marlins are just as much WS champs, as anyone else. But NEVER try to convince me it's a team.

Ties right in to Axl. NEVER try to convince me new Guns is a band. GN'R: The Band died in 1993. I know alot say 1991, but at least in 1993, they still had Slash & Duff on board, so for me - '93. The closest new Guns came to a 'new band', was that 2000-01 lineup of Axl, Robin, Bucket, Paul, Tommy, Brain, Dizzy & Chris, but even that's questionable seeing how Robin was starting to become in-and-out at that point, and they were actively looking to replace Paul. First with Izzy, and eventually Richard.

As for the guitarist discussion, my dream scenario would be to move Ron to Robin's spot, and bring Bucket back.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

I really don't understand why Kim has never done a major project since soundgarden

Yeah its a shame.

Seems like he was traumatized from the recording of Down on the Upside. He was basically pushed aside from the creative side of things at that point and only had one songwriting credit(Never the Machine Forever). He's barely dabbled in music since.

All I've heard from him since has been his the work he did on probot

He also did that "No WTO Combo" thing with Jello Biafra and Chris Novasellic.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

He also did that "No WTO Combo" thing with Jello Biafra and Chris Novasellic.

Got a link to that?

On topic, I think the realists, nutswingers, haters, or whatever labels you attach that still follow the band need to come to terms with and just accept the revolving door nature of GNR. Its been like this for years, and obviously isn't stopping anytime soon.

NIN does this same thing, yet they have a thriving fan base. I realize that NIN is in the "no talk, all action" category like U2, so it makes it so much easier for their fan base to accept the regular line up changes.

I think if GNR actually go forward with a major tour, promote CD, and actually follow through on album number two instead of lame smoke and mirrors bullshit, the fan base will be much more accepting of the 'new' era, and those that don't accept it will move on because the era will have cemented itself and there will literally be no going back.

Sky Dog wrote:

for this album and this tour, Axl needs Robin and Bucket on guitar...in the end they are the spirit of CD. Tommy, Paul, Goose, Dizzy, and Axl are the foundation, but Robin and Bucket really have the most influence....both on stage and off.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

This 'band' functions like a soccer team. Fans are excited that who should they sign or rid of and care more about the transfer market than the actual performance.

That's a really good analogy.

What we are seeing now is that some of the "recruits" are tired of not seeing any premiership success and so they are transferring to other teams.  Others are leaving because they are not getting enough gametime to showcase their skills.

There also seems to have been a deliberate recruiting policy to ensure that the star striker is never overshadowed by another star player.  Therefor every player seems to be replaceable (3 guitarists, 2 or 3 drummers, 2 keyboardists etc etc) and they know it.  No player is guaranteed to be in the starting lineup, all could be "benched" at any time for any reason.

I dare say that the guy that's running this club never wants to be in the position again where one renegade star player (like Slash) can devestate the team if he quits.  No player will ever be allowed to be as iconic/identifiable with the team name except of course for the current player/owner.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I agree James. The inaction has really stifled the progression of this NIN-esque/Axl-only era of GN'R.

If they were to be out there actively working, releasing studio albums, touring, releasing select live shows, merch, fan clubs, ticket promotions, Axl was doing positive and frequent interviews... and they were really shoving the product of current Guns down the throat of the world.

People would've already moved on. The "Get On Board or Fuck Off" philosophy would truely be realized.

But Axl's not Trent Reznor. Axl doesn't like working enough, nor moving into the present day. GN'R is ran like a joke, fans starved for future material are chastised and shut down immediately, and the website is the biggest joke in music/internet history.

The front page is fine, but you put links up galore. Band bios, one for whoever is currently in the band, W. Axl Rose, Ron Thal, Richard Fortus, Tommy Stinson, Frank Ferrer, Dizzy Reed, Chris Pittman, Pics featuring live pics of the current band from 2006-07 as well as single shots of Richard, Tommy & Chris dating back to 2001, pics of Dizzy dating back to 1990, pics of Axl dating back to 1985-86, downloadable band wallpapers & screensaves with the band & GN'R logos, a listening post page featuring all GN'R albums from AFD up through CD to be streamed in full from the GNR.com website, as well as select downloadable video & audio live shows from 2006-07 exclusively at GNR.com, as well as their own personal interviews exclusively from the band speaking about CD and it's production, and eventually a merch store that sells the extensive collection of Guns merch and rare items, as well as purchasing GN'R albums, and possibly exclusive live sets not available in stores, and THEIR OWN message board. Instead of alienating more nerds (hardcore fans) by playing HTGTH & MyGNR game, you open your own exclusive board, controlled by your thumb, and get your own moderators. All 'hot off the press' news can be found at GNR.com's own forum, as well as band members personal posts, including Axl's.

The site also undergoes layout changes once every 3 months or less.

These are all things that are not far fetched to OTHER mainstream acts out there. But to GN'R, it seems like a lifetime away. That's because things are still ran as if its 1991.

2008 Intentions
 Rep: 6 

We need more "freaks" in gnr, people like Buckethead, Bumblefoot, Finck and Jhonny 5 could make a perfect combo, media attention, great performance, big ideas for unheard material and new material.

Board footer