You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Tommy in Bass Player Mag

I wonder what type of sound they could've gotten with the drums if they wouldn't have fucked too much with it during recording and the mixing stage.

They talked a lot of taking advantage of the "space" they had and that particular comment reminds of what Metallica did when they recorded the Black Album.

Imagine having that type of sound on Chinese Democracy. That would have been pretty interesting.

But don't get me wrong, I love most of it as it is.

PGER83
 Rep: 5 

PGER83 wrote:

Olorin
When I see that vid it just Confirms what Tommy said.
Axl wanted him to re-record the parts but he also said, Roy wanted it in one piece start to finish not in parts.

I know you dont want to give Axl an inch and that is understandable but Roy does have a reputation similar to Micheal Beinhorn, with storys that are just as nuts.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

But Roy was fired/dismissed in 2002.  I'm not sure how it would take an additional six years to rework songs that have been written and composed primarily in the 1990s.  I'd chalk this up to Axl being a procrastinator and RTB not helping things with his style.  If he wasn't helping the band why didn't Axl fire him sooner?

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
PGER83 wrote:

Axl wanted him to re-record the parts but he also said, Roy wanted it in one piece start to finish not in parts.

slashsfro wrote:

But Roy was fired/dismissed in 2002.  I'm not sure how it would take an additional six years to rework songs that have been written and composed primarily in the 1990s.  I'd chalk this up to Axl being a procrastinator and RTB not helping things with his style.  If he wasn't helping the band why didn't Axl fire him sooner?

It only proves that RTB was right. One of the main issues with CD that it's not only ovrproduced and overblown, but a below mediocre mixing of cut-and-paste parts. With RTB they would have re-recorded the songs, but not in Axl's "Play a hundred solo, Ron, then I cut my favourite pieces and make a real great one" method. This production killed the soul and life out of the CD songs and it became robotic and dead. Of course, RTB's idea would have taken a lot of time, but I'm sure even in that case CD would have come out earlier, maybe that early that BH wouldn't have lost his faith in the project. Not to mention that the pay-off, the album, would have been much better.

PGER83

PGER83 wrote:

Who knows eveything is speculation at this point, label pressure maybe?
As for the rest of the wait we know that from this point on Axl got sued almost every year from that point on.
Then add Rons parts to an album that was probably more less done at that point. Del said that recording was done early 07. We know that mix was turned in by that fall. Then dealing with the label who would not talk to Axl till he got management so that dealing didnt start till late March.
its all one big clusterfuck.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Interesting interview.

Interesting also that as someone said above it seems Tommy and Slash had a similar responce to Paul, with Tommy taking a more diplomatic approach and learning to live with it.

Sounds like "If the World" is going to be added to the setlist...makes me really hopeful that now CD is out we'll get a lot more CD tracks live smile

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I'll give Axl an inch, it was just a chance find. At the time of the Tommy interview I wanted to know when RTB left the project because I was sure it was around the beginning of the millenium and a long long time ago.

The whole being sued thing is generalised and exagerated by Axlites, plus I know from experience that the lawyers and solicitors do most of the work, not the flippin client.

PGER83

PGER83 wrote:

Matt said that Axl would spand hours on the phone with his lawyers so I dont think the normal thing you or I would do (get a lawyer say do your thing and leave them to it) really applys. I dont think Axl lets his lawyers file one thing without telling him what, where, when, why, and how.

I dont consider myself an Axlite, I just choose to give the CD era the benefit of the doubt, put it in the rear veiw mirror and hope it will end with a tour, and the band as it is now will solidify into something tangible that will go forword from there.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I wonder if the comment about ideas from people who had "never made an album before" were directed towards the likes of Huge and Robin who had very limited album making credentials. if so that was a pretty nice jab.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I think that was very obvious jabs. I don't think Tommy liked Paul either, like Slash.

I'm guessing the reason people had the issue with him they did, is the 'ole "fishin' buddies" argument.

How many of us have ever had a job, where we work with a really lousy guy, who because he's friends with the boss, he gets away with murder, and if you complain, YOU get fired. I think that's the legacy of Paul Huge in GN'R.

"GN'R wouldn't be here today with Paul" (Edit: I meant to say 'without', and I said 'with' - Freudian slip i'm sure 16 ), was another classic example of Axl trying to convince people to like Paul, instead of just letting it be organic. Just like with the bullshit he's doing about convincing people NOT to like Slash. Just let it fuckin' go, and let people make up their own minds. Slash, Izzy & Bucket are the most talented musicians to ever work with GN'R, and you couldn't make it work. Bottom line.

Board footer