You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Tommy in Bass Player Mag

Sky Dog wrote:

"To me, Tommy is the only member of the new band who, personality and attitude wise, would fit in very easily with Slash, Duff, and Izzy. Tommy is headstrong and proud just like those three. He has the musical chops, the fuck you mentality, and charisma as well."

I am going to quote myself, because no one responded to this. Bucket and the rest of the new crowd aren't anything like the original band. Tommy is....and that is why Tommy is my boy.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

"To me, Tommy is the only member of the new band who, personality and attitude wise, would fit in very easily with Slash, Duff, and Izzy. Tommy is headstrong and proud just like those three. He has the musical chops, the fuck you mentality, and charisma as well."

I am going to quote myself, because no one responded to this. Bucket and the rest of the new crowd aren't anything like the original band. Tommy is....and that is why Tommy is my boy.

While thats true, it seems like Axl was going out of his way to hire people that weren't like the old band. Even Tommy to a certain extent. He may have some of that punk vibe of the old era, he wasn't a fan of the band.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

None of them were. I remember almost every single interview, anyone associated with the new band, pointing that out that they were exactly fans of the old band, with some alluding (like Tommy) to down right not liking them, and it not being their scene. That was intentional, because Axl didn't want a 'cover band', he wanted a reinvention/reboot of GN'R, and what it'd represent. I respect the hell out of it conceptually, I enjoyed things like "80's KISS", but Axl never capitalized on it. In the ten years of the existence of the new era, we've had 5 different guitarists, 3 different drummers, and an Inf. number of producers. That shows someone who doesn't know what they're doing, not someone on a mission to do something special and unique.

Not that I expect GN'R to go out and perform the album in full, and ignore the back catalog, but they should've created a unique setlist of old songs (not AFD+5) and performed more new songs. The songs also should've been tweaked extensively, in a true COVER sense, to be reboots themselves of the old songs, so people could see that no one is copying Slash or the old band, but in fact "making it their own", like with most successful remakes.

Now i'm sure Dexter, or anyone else could sit back and say "you're the definitive Monday morning quarterback", and that's not my intention, but one can't help see investigate and see HOW the train derailed, after it's already crashed.

That's why i'm such a proponent of DJ Ashba's involvement being a chance at a totally fresh start. Let's call mulligan, break the eraser out, and view this as a fresh start, with a fresh band, and a few old faces, and do it right this time. Fans too. Slashites should just wash their hands, and go off with Slash and support him. This new-new era has a true chance to really not have the baggage of old Guns, that seemed to haunt the old-new era.

Oh and Madagas, be proud you're the resident 'Tommyite' on the board. 22 16

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I don't think Axl went out trying to find guys who were the exact opposite or who didn't like the old line up. I think he was open to a whole slew of people, from Pearl Jam to NIN players; anyone who inspired him.

I don't think he had a criteria quite that specific.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Im not sure he did that either. It seems that many brought into the band were friends or acquintances of other band members. Except Finck who Axl really wanted all along.

Bucket got in thru Brain.
Ferrer got in thru Fortus
Stinson got in thru Freese
Not sure who got Fortus, but I'm pretty sure it was thru someone already there.

But one things for certain, they had no clue what they were doing or what direction they would take. Axl always spoke about "taking the wheel", but it seems to me that he did the oposite. He didn't take the wheel. Maybe he feels bad for doing so with the old band or something. But to me the band lacked someone putting their foot down. Maybe Axl couldn't mentally do so as he was as confused as the rest of them, but the band clearly lacked the one who could make final decisions. We always speak of how this band is Axl. Well, it doesn't seem like that to me. To me it seems like it was a band of a lot of fish swimming around in circles waiting for someone to tell them otherwise.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

DCK, Sorum suggested Finck to replace Tobias to try and get Slash back in the studio

Tommy recommended Fortus, but Rich had also worked with Brain

Bucket was brought in by Axl and then bucket recommended Brain when Freese Left

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think Freese recommended Buckethead, right? ..... Anyway this proves there was no grand scheme to member selection 16

Sky Dog wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

None of them were. I remember almost every single interview, anyone associated with the new band, pointing that out that they were exactly fans of the old band, with some alluding (like Tommy) to down right not liking them, and it not being their scene. That was intentional, because Axl didn't want a 'cover band', he wanted a reinvention/reboot of GN'R, and what it'd represent. I respect the hell out of it conceptually, I enjoyed things like "80's KISS", but Axl never capitalized on it. In the ten years of the existence of the new era, we've had 5 different guitarists, 3 different drummers, and an Inf. number of producers. That shows someone who doesn't know what they're doing, not someone on a mission to do something special and unique.

Not that I expect GN'R to go out and perform the album in full, and ignore the back catalog, but they should've created a unique setlist of old songs (not AFD+5) and performed more new songs. The songs also should've been tweaked extensively, in a true COVER sense, to be reboots themselves of the old songs, so people could see that no one is copying Slash or the old band, but in fact "making it their own", like with most successful remakes.

Now i'm sure Dexter, or anyone else could sit back and say "you're the definitive Monday morning quarterback", and that's not my intention, but one can't help see investigate and see HOW the train derailed, after it's already crashed.

That's why i'm such a proponent of DJ Ashba's involvement being a chance at a totally fresh start. Let's call mulligan, break the eraser out, and view this as a fresh start, with a fresh band, and a few old faces, and do it right this time. Fans too. Slashites should just wash their hands, and go off with Slash and support him. This new-new era has a true chance to really not have the baggage of old Guns, that seemed to haunt the old-new era.

Oh and Madagas, be proud you're the resident 'Tommyite' on the board. 22 16

Ax, it's called a "man crush"..:haha:....and there is actually two of us. Downliner is a bigger Replacements fan than me. He just let's me do the talking! tongue The few, the proud The Generals crew.

Board footer