You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Guns N' Roses Names Dj Ashba As Band's Newest Axeman

James wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

If the current line up wants to do an album, let em do their own. Stop pasting their contributions over a superior line up that doesn't exist and ruining material by that line up. If these guys are so good, they should be able to record a brand new album within a year. If they cant, fire them all and start over.

Even the old Nu-GN'R line-up wasn't able to make an album in a year. In fact, it took them much more.

I wouldn't call one more year "much more". That lineup did the bulk of its recording 2000-01. You cant blame them for the wait until 2008. They weren't the ones who felt like twiddling their thumbs while thinking about Slash.

I know you're not much of a fan of any of the CD era line ups, but don't act like it took those guys nine years to create those tracks.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Most of the songs were written before BH came in: CD, CITR, SOD, Prostitute, TWAT, IRS. This I Love in even older. These originate in the 1992-1999 time frame. In the 2000-2004 era they wrote Shackler, Sorry, Scraped, maybe Madagascar and If The World. I don't know when Finck came up with the Better idea or Tommy with Rhiad. Anyway, it's not like this album took only one year and all the other years went by Axl's thinking of Slash.

James

James wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Most of the songs were written before BH came in: CD, CITR, SOD, Prostitute, TWAT, IRS. This I Love in even older. These originate in the 1992-1999 time frame. In the 2000-2004 era they wrote Shackler, Sorry, Scraped, maybe Madagascar and If The World. I don't know when Finck came up with the Better idea or Tommy with Rhiad. Anyway, it's not like this album took only one year and all the other years went by Axl's thinking of Slash.

Well, we're not talking about a Freese era line up that recorded rough demos. Its pretty obvious that in 2000 the band hit the reset button on that late 90s work. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of demos from the late 90s to compare, but listen to IRS which dates from 97-99 era, and then listen to the later "demos". Its like night and day.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Yeah, and it only proves that it took years for them to write and record the songs. I know that some of the tinkering was quite unnecessary, but most of the material took years to get finished, cause it wasn't ready. Hiring BH was a quality step, I agree, although even he wasn't enough to convince Axl that the album is ready. As I see it, even the 'finished' material wasn't ready: somewhere overworked and overpoduced, somewhere unfinished that the added layers tried to hide. Anyway, I think we both agree that a talented line-up can write and record a great album in a year and tinkering nad cut-and-paste kills even the good ideas.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Neemo wrote:

i think they should totally scrap whatever they have for the next album...and re record it all with the current band...like all 8 dudes in one room , old school recording...instead of multiple parts of many years like CD is...

James Lofton wrote:

Why? So they can ruin a second album like they did their first? If the current line up wants to do an album, let em do their own. Stop pasting their contributions over a superior line up that doesn't exist and ruining material by that line up. If these guys are so good, they should be able to record a brand new album within a year. If they cant, fire them all and start over.

CrashDiet wrote:

That is the quickest way to have everyone leave the band.  Knowing how Axl is in the studio by himself, could you imagine him pulling that shit in front of everyone? 

"Okay guys take 52 was great, but I really need you guys to try it a few more times."

Let alone the fact that he'll make them redo it because of his vocals, the sheer frustration from all the other aspects would make them all jump off a bridge.

I dont care if he layers his old vocals on top...but I htink to have soem semblance of spontiaety and band cohesion that it'd be cool to have everyone playing together in the same room, as for them leaving the band ucuz of it...i dont follow...the peopel that would be replaced on teh album are gone anyway

as for a response to James...part of the reson that the first album was "ruined" IMHO was cuz there was too many things on top of each other..and 1998 recordings mixed with 2006 recordings and everywhere in between..some of the shit was so compressed that it's all fucked up (the outro drumming on Better is the most prevalent example) I dont care who gets the writing credits, but man if they could jsut go and Jam it out i think it may make for a better product...at least thats how i'd do it

James

James wrote:

I prefer the 2008 June leaks over the actual album, and would still favor it even if it meant missing out on the few unheard tracks(at that point). Yeah there was cut and paste shit on those leaks, but it hadn't reached the point of complete overkill. The actual album sucked a lot of the life out of those songs, and the mixer either wasn't paid very much or just didn't care.

There was nothing wrong with the tracks on those 2006-08 leaks(which clearly date to the 2000-02 era). Its not the band's fault Axl felt the songs needed bullshit added to them.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I think with DJ replacing Robin, that it pretty much means Brain is history.

The band is SO FAR removed from the Bucket/Brain era at this point, and the band has been touring with Frank since the Fall of 2006, that I think they are just going to move on with this different lineup.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Since I don't believe he'll do anything other than play AFD, I don't care enough to check him out. Glad they got somebody, hope he doesn't waste too much of his career and youth on this band.

If GnR is serious, they should hurry up and put out one song, a new song, with Ashba as a co-writer and player on the track. Axl, Ron, Richard, Ashba, Stinson, Dizzy, Frank, and Pitman on one track. No one else. Then go tour. I might actually get a little excited by that.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

He looks quite young but he's a ripe old 37. Must be all the slap he wears on his face.

Board footer