You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: The Possibility of a Guns N' Roses '09 Summer tour

monkeychow wrote:

Further to this - see this article from an Aussie newspaper in 07:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/music/rac … 29656.html

See how the promoter basicly says the 06 tour has given him faith that the show will go on as planned.

Don't get me wrong there's always going to be some cancellations with GNR i expect. I'm just saying if people dont respect the new band I dont think the missed shows are why. although i'm sure it costs fans in general.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I dont think cancelling a show gives this new band a lack of legitimacy...some people dont respect them for other reasons...but I dont think its the aborted shows that are the primary cause.

Really? An artist canceling 20% of its shows that fans bought tickets to has minor impact?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Really? An artist canceling 20% of its shows that fans bought tickets to has minor impact?

What i mean is....I think misterID said earlier that the band has lost its credibility due to cancelled shows and he specifically mentioned the 06 tour.

I felt that the 06 tour actually went part of the way to fix the peformance reputation damaged by the 02 tour - both in terms of image (Robin and Axl looking more traditional rock) and in terms of the cancellation rate (which was lower than previously).

But what i was trying to say is that I think when Axl cancels a show he looses fans and people think ge is an asshole. BUT I don't think it effects his credibility on the "this is or isn't GNR" factor for people. GNR has always had riots and cancells and problems...so if anything...Axl fucking up a tour actually makes it more credible that it's gnr 16

Perhaps we're talking about different things, I'm just saying - while i'm sure it costs them fans - cancelling a show isn't why people dont accept this as GNR. It might be why people call axl a prick. But it's not why they ask for reunions etc. I Think factors far more important to that are the loss of the old members, strange rearrangment of the old songs and solos, the massive wait for new material...those were the things causing credibility issues for the band. TBH I feel that if the AFD line up got back together there would still be cancelled shows. It's part of Axl's life it seems. It's annoying as hell...but it doesn't go towards what makes the band legitimate as GNR or not.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

What i mean is....I think misterID said earlier that the band has lost its credibility due to cancelled shows and he specifically mentioned the 06 tour.

I felt that the 06 tour actually went part of the way to fix the peformance reputation damaged by the 02 tour - both in terms of image (Robin and Axl looking more traditional rock) and in terms of the cancellation rate (which was lower than previously).

But what i was trying to say is that I think when Axl cancels a show he looses fans and people think ge is an asshole. BUT I don't think it effects his credibility on the "this is or isn't GNR" factor for people. GNR has always had riots and cancells and problems...so if anything...Axl fucking up a tour actually makes it more credible that it's gnr 16

Perhaps we're talking about different things, I'm just saying - while i'm sure it costs them fans - cancelling a show isn't why people dont accept this as GNR. It might be why people call axl a prick. But it's not why they ask for reunions etc. I Think factors far more important to that are the loss of the old members, strange rearrangment of the old songs and solos, the massive wait for new material...those were the things causing credibility issues for the band. TBH I feel that if the AFD line up got back together there would still be cancelled shows. It's part of Axl's life it seems. It's annoying as hell...but it doesn't go towards what makes the band legitimate as GNR or not.

Nah, what I meant was that the cancelled shows added to the the deterioration of their cred not that it was the specific cause. The 06 tour did start to try and fix that image, but then it suffered the same fate as the last aborted tour. It didn't have anything to do with people thinking it was or wasn't GNR. But I also don't think it adds to the Axl Rose mystique either. Most people, I'd say, saw it as "The same old bullshit." and rolled their eyes and washed their hands of it. So it definitely effected their cred in that aspect because its going to push away the casual fan who isn't interested in what constitutes a Del James version of a "real rock show" which includes late starts and possible no shows and cancellations. That's not dangerous. It's just bullshit. Again, none of this goes to de-legitamize the newGNR. But I could see where someone would be giving the band a chance and then having to deal with Axl's touring bullshit ending up just saying "Fuck it."

Itchy GTR
 Rep: 5 

Itchy GTR wrote:

Well the way I see it Axl already went through all of the bullshit that comes with touring and everyone under the sun wanting a piece of the G&R actions (Money). What most rock critiques, fans and musicians seem to keep forgetting is Axl already made it in the music business and probably made so much money he doesn't have to be doing this anymore. But he likes to perform for his fans and friends because of the enjoyment of playing music and creating music. The proof is in what he has been doing the last 15 years of his life. He is the kind of man that can be a semi-recluse and it won't bother him one bit. He actually came out smelling like a Rose!!! If he didn't take pride in his art he would of never come up with the material he did on CD. For a guy who turn his back on the world he really did deliver the goods without plastic promotion or selling out in a big way with commericals or corporations. So if he wants to do a few concerts for the hell of it that would be fine. He's already been through the whole media-lawyer-promoters-record companies b.s. and came up on top. It's April 21st 2009 and still no artist who has been putting out several cds have come up with anything close to the quality of Chinese Democracy. Do you really think Axl and his new company cares about who is topping the charts or what the record business might be implying? (The devil hates a loser and you thought you had it all!!!" ) lolcool

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:

Found this today. Seems a tour is on the way. Around the 4:40 mark.

[youtube]twmF-TuY8-s&fmt=22[/youtube]

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Yeah.  I'm going to need more than that to believe anything.  Something along the lines of tour dates being announced, tickets being sold, official advertising, etc.  None of these things mean a tour will happen either, but they are more believeable than some guy on youtube.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

still Axl seems to be involved in rehearsals, that's a good start for me.
they should tune their guitars though!!

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

still Axl seems to be involved in rehearsals, that's a good start for me.
they should tune their guitars though!!

I didn't actually listen to the guy.  If it's not official, I really don't care what he has to say.  Yipee!  Some guy on youtube says Axl is rehearsing.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Buzz... he's actually the guy that's going to MIX THEM.

The guitars on there are recordings from DJ, Ron, Richard, Tommy, Brain/Frank, and there was even a little synth (Pitman?) in there.

That's most of the band, and fresh rehearsal stuff. They're at least doing something.

Board footer