You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The Possibility of a Guns N' Roses '09 Summer tour

James wrote:
mygnrsucks wrote:

BUT, what kinda clubs are we talking?

2000 seats and under. In other words, grab MIA's tour itinerary and hit the same spots. The chances of sellouts are high, and if they don't sellout most shows, it'll be a good portion of them.

They had difficulty with The Joint and it holds like 1200. They sold out The Warfield no problem though, and its a bit larger. We know they can sellout Hammerstein, so definitely include that.

The band can do a 20 city club/theater tour with multiple shows in key cities(SF, NY, LA). Lets say 30 shows for the sake of discussion. Could probably sellout 80% of the shows in the first week, and might struggle in a few areas. Just "paper" the events that aren't full. Then they're all full.

This allows more options than any other tour. Want to play AFD? Play it all. Want to concentrate on Chinese Democracy? Go right ahead. An acoustic set in the middle with a Lies type medley? Get er done. Want to road test new material? This is where you do it. Don't want to bother with an opener? You don't really need one in this environment unless you just want to bring some artist/band you like along for the ride.

The sky is the limit set list wise, because people who go to club shows know that this environment is different. The hardcores would love to hear CD or something new but will accept almost anything, and the casual fans in attendance are at this club just to hear music.

These shows will immediately start getting reviews, and most will probably be positive. Fans happy, media happy, band happy, and the bridge is slowly being rebuilt.

Its a win win situation, yet they cant do it.

Another question I have is -- how many years does Axl have left of performing?

I would say he has about ten, but in reality about a 5 year window where he can feasibly be at the top of his game. Being Axl Rose isn't easy. He has an amazing stage presence that few in history can rival, and when the guy is "on", there is no one better.

Its why he needs to go on an Audioslave type run in the next few years, or do a reunion. Axl singing Out Ta Get Me/Its So Easy in his late 50s/early 60s will be laughable and not even marketable.

He needs to put his talent to use.

What's next, lipsynching?

Will never happen. Say what you want about the guy, but he's the real deal.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

i say finish the next album, release the fucker, and then go on a theater tour. like james said, both will get reviewed. if it blows up, great! either way, it's what the fans want and will aprreciate and i think axl is content with that as well. i'd be content waiting a few years for it to happen if need be. they already toured cd as much as they can. would i like to hear sorry and cather live? Hell yes! but i think axl knows when to cut his losses. why tour an album twice when the album and the first tour didn't sell as well as it should. they could then play a large portion of cd along with the second album and burry appetite once and for all.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The irony of James post...

Slash wanted a club tour in '94, and Axl refused.

Sure it was '94, but kind of ironic that he saw the writing on the wall.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I'm hoping if they do tour next year it will be to push a second album, not a belated CD tour. For me CD was deliberately just thrown to the dogs to let them have their way, I expect the next album to be launched and marketed with a hell of a lot more organisation, pride and determination.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I think we got the CD tour. In Axl's eyes 2006-07 was a CD world tour.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Thats the case in a lot of other peoples eyes also, might well be true.
Axl even said in December there was no plans for a tour, and that whole stadium tour thingy was a rumour based on what "industry insiders" apparantly said.
If a new album does come out and they do tour next year, a live setlist with the best off CD, the next album and a few classics thrown in would be my perfect show.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
mygnrsucks wrote:

BUT, what kinda clubs are we talking? 2000 seat venues? 5000? They'd run sellouts easy. Tons of major acts are selling out 5000 seat venues, and the shows are better for it.

Everyone assumes Axl would have a hard time swallowing his pride and playing anything less than stadiums, I don't know this is the case. It's plausible, but I dunno. He knew what he was doing when he chose to not promote CD. If he truly wanted to return to that status, he'd have done things a lot different.

Another question I have is -- how many years does Axl have left of performing? He's already winded and having a hard time singing songs and just looks goofy running around. It's only downhill from here, and from what I've heard, he ducks off stage for a good amount of time between songs already. What's next, lipsynching?

That could be true about Axl being able to swallow his pride.  We're led to believe that Axl still thinks he and this incarnation of GNR can sell out Giants Stadium alone on multiple nights.  But I think he knows better than that, and like you said if he wanted that to be the case he would've at least attempted to push CD a little. 

He's alluded in the past to sort of being forced into touring in 2002 and 2006, maybe in his mind the timing wasn't right for a big arena type tour.  I'm probably giving him too much credit but maybe he really wanted to finish up CD before they did anything but the record company, management, etc. thought otherwise and pushed him to get out their and tour to help recoup some of the losses.  Hopefully, like some of you have said, now that the Best Buy deal wiped the slate clean he can move on with a stable lineup and start from scratch again and things can happen as they were intended this time around.  I think we can all agree that this whole Chinese Democracy era did not go as planned.  Was there ever a real plan in place?  Maybe not, but I'm sure no plan involved 15 years of waiting, several lineup changes, and numerous leaks from underground Pourtuguese maffia types.  Hopefully they will/have been working on new material or are polishing up some old material that we haven't heard and will come forth with that stuff when they're good and ready (hopefully a lot earlier than 2025).

I would still encourage them to tour overseas first as their fanbase is larger and more passionate than stateside.  But if they do tour North America it has to be constructed differently than in the past, because those haven't worked out in all respects.  Limited dates in only the major markets and smaller venues sound like a good start to me.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
mygnrsucks wrote:

BUT, what kinda clubs are we talking? 2000 seat venues? 5000? They'd run sellouts easy. Tons of major acts are selling out 5000 seat venues, and the shows are better for it.

I don't think most people see GnR as a major act anymore unless it's for a reunion.

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I expect the next album to be launched and marketed with a hell of a lot more organisation, pride and determination.

I don't.

After 16 years of this, do you really expect anything to change?

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Unless Slash is back on guitar & Duff on bass... no promo will be done for anything down the line for GN'R.

Board footer