You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: The Possibility of a Guns N' Roses '09 Summer tour

buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I would not see them live.  A big part of that is the cancellation of the show I was supposed to see in '06 that was never rescheduled as they said it would be.  I tried, Axl failed me (again).  Unless it's a reunion, I have no reason to go barring Axl making a solo album that I actually like at some point in the future (lol).

Did you get your money back for the cancelled show?

Did I get my money back for the tickets?  Yes.  If that was all that was invloved, I'd be less disappointed.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
war wrote:

The New York Yankees are like one of the best organizations in baseball.

Not in 'most' of the last decade, barring 1999 & 2000. When every year you spend more money than any sports organization in the world, you should have a trophy/ring each year.

They got beat by the Arizona fuckin' Diamondbacks in 2001. They got beat by the Florida fuckin' Marlins in 2003. Come the fuck on, seriously? Granted the D'Backs & Marlins would good ball clubs those years, they were practically a AAA team, bar a few vets here and there.

The Yankees have seen a WS since 2003, and last year didn't even make the playoffs losing the division to... *drum roll* - the Tampa Bay Rays.

I'm just bustin' balls on the Yanks, and when I say 'Yank' I mean it.

More of my analogy was to how the organization has been run in the past decade, and some could argue all the way back to the Reggie Jackson-era. There's no such thing as a 'grown' team in that organization. Whoever is in free agency is whoever the Yankees will become each year, or every few years.

That's pretty much how Axl runs GN'R. The band is whoever is in FA.

BrokenGlassNCigs wrote:

Umm, I believe Tommy, Dizzy, Chris, Ron, Richard, Brain, Frank, and Axl played on CD. And whaddaya know, they're the guys touring *besides Ashba*.

When UYI came out, Izzy didn't tour it, Gilby did, who wasn't even on the albums.

Umm, yeah, and I saw Tommy, Dizzy, Chris, Ron, Richard, Frank & Axl twice in 2006. I'm sorry but $150-300 bucks for BRAIN & DJ ASHBA, ain't worth it, and I think they'd agree with me.

Like I said, I just don't want the SAME show. A CD-heavy setlist, or even some major UYI additions would get me out there, but it's the current lineup playing the same stuff from 2001-02/2006-07... no thx.

Izzy did tour it initially in 1991, and many saw him perform UYI songs before he departed. He also briefly filled in for Gilby on select shows of the 1993 European leg, because Gilby broke his hand/arm.

Granted I know Gilby toured the major majority, but millions did get to see the studio band, also. Not to mention Gilby is an 'official' band technically too... it's The Spaghetti Incident band for purists.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
war wrote:

Axlin08 wrote:

Not in 'most' of the last decade, barring 1999 & 2000.

three trophies and two runner-ups in 10 years doesn't indicate greatness? how many other teams have achieved more?

Axlin08 wrote:

More of my analogy was to how the organization has been run in the past decade

my response to the analogy was mostly a joke. it's a pretty decent analogy minus the fact that gnr has lost success as it is has become more of business and less of a band where as the yankees would fail to make the playoffs if the mlb implimented a decent salary cap.

i'm a minnesota native. it pains me more than most to watch the twins, one of the best organizations (if not the best) in baseball, scrape the bottom of the barrel year after year and still manage to be competitive throughout. if they had half the money the yankeees spend they'd be champs all the time.

war

war wrote:
Neemo wrote:
war wrote:

"do you know where the fuck you are!!!!!!!!"

http://i40.tinypic.com/2a8100i.jpg

someone needs to photshop axl's microphone into that ice cream cone.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I would not see them live.  A big part of that is the cancellation of the show I was supposed to see in '06 that was never rescheduled as they said it would be.  I tried, Axl failed me (again).  Unless it's a reunion, I have no reason to go barring Axl making a solo album that I actually like at some point in the future (lol).

Did I get my money back for the tickets?  Yes.  If that was all that was invloved, I'd be less disappointed.

Ah, there were travelling expenses, etc?  I see.  If they re-scheduled, would you have gone?

Luckily I've never had that experience.  I had tickets to Van Halen and that show was PPD. and rescheduled, but it was local.  And I had planned to see GNR in Vegas around New Years in 2002.  That show was cancelled when the 2002 tour was whiped out.  So that was disappointing, but I was going to Vegas either way.  GNR would've been a nice bonus, but I hadn't bought the tickets yet.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
war wrote:
war wrote:

Axlin08 wrote:

Not in 'most' of the last decade, barring 1999 & 2000.

three trophies and two runner-ups in 10 years doesn't indicate greatness? how many other teams have achieved more?

Axlin08 wrote:

More of my analogy was to how the organization has been run in the past decade

my response to the analogy was mostly a joke. it's a pretty decent analogy minus the fact that gnr has lost success as it is has become more of business and less of a band where as the yankees would fail to make the playoffs if the mlb implimented a decent salary cap.

i'm a minnesota native. it pains me more than most to watch the twins, one of the best organizations (if not the best) in baseball, scrape the bottom of the barrel year after year and still manage to be competitive throughout. if they had half the money the yankeees spend they'd be champs all the time.

Minus one of those trophies - Boston Red Sox. They also spent less money, and did two trophies and two AL pennants in the last 5 years vs. the Yankees 10 years just to get one more trophy.

I also think the GN'R analogy still applies, and is why I made it. The Yankees have declined in the last 10 years gradually, from their glory days. Granted GN'R have declined at a far greater time period, but in a sense, they are declining to. The only problem is, I don't see Axl signing the Mark Teixeira & CC Sabathia of contract players. That might encompass getting back Bucket, and maybe Izzy on rhythm.

As for the Twins, there biggest problem is they don't keep the talent they grow. They're too damn cheap, and anytime someone gets good they get sold (traded) off. Hunter & Santana are recent examples. The Twins are just a lazy organization. They are perfectly content with being a .500 team, and nothing more, as long as people keep going out to the Metro. What blows my mind is that they're gonna get a new stadium last I heard... for what? The Marlins are getting one two, but at least they have two trophies and two NL pennants in the last 12 years.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:

Ah, there were travelling expenses, etc?  I see.  If they re-scheduled, would you have gone?

Had they rescheduled at the time, I probably would have gone.  There was still a curiosity factor.  That's gone.  I've heard CD and I wasn't impressed outside of 2 songs.  That doesn't justify spending the money to see some other guys play the material I love.  If they came locally and it was cheap enough, I'd probably go just to see Axl, but in my mind, it would be like seeing a GnR cover band with one hell of a good Axl impersonator.

war

war wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

the GN'R analogy still applies, and is why I made it.

i was only joking and i agree with the point of it

but i do have a response.

the yankees org. was run in a similar way during the winning period as it was run in the losing period.

gnr, on the other hand, was run as a band during it's winning seasons and as a business during it's more modest seasons.

the yankees can solve their problems by re-updating their roster.

gnr, on the other hand, lost everything by updating their roster and are looked upon as a joke a little more each time it makes a change.

cool

Axlin08 wrote:

As for the Twins, there biggest problem is they don't keep the talent they grow. They're too damn cheap, and anytime someone gets good they get sold (traded) off.

very true about the twins and what's also so frustrating about it is that the ticket sales are not all that good. a couple big names would certainly help sell more tickets and win more games. but polad saved every last penny he made til his death.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I would not see them live.  A big part of that is the cancellation of the show I was supposed to see in '06 that was never rescheduled as they said it would be.  I tried, Axl failed me (again).

While I wouldn't go that far, I certainly understand that line of thinking. My show in 06 was canceled as well. First postponed, then canceled. I was gonna take my cousin to that show. She was 14 at the time, and had never been to a concert. Figured GNR would be a great 'introduction' to the concert experience. She was really psyched for the show, and while only a very casual fan, she started listening to new GNR's material. Even had The Blues on her myspace page. The moment it was canceled for such a lame reason, she literally washed her hands of this mess. When the album came out two years later, she didn't even give a shit. I gave her a copy, but I don't think she even listened to it.

I don't think Axl realizes how many fans he lost during these constant starts/stops. Scratch that, I think he does. U.S. album sales reflect the public's apathy towards Chinese Democracy.

Board footer