You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: If You Have Any Complaints About The Official Site

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I think in some ways the concept of it kind of bites him in the ass in the current.

In a way, Live Era acknowledges GN'R as all of the 'original' sourced band members, i.e. Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven & Dizzy (their first keyboardist), but looks at Matt & Gilby as hired Guns.

My opinon based on utter guesses is that most of the trauma with Axl seems to relate to the UYI period. He now avoids playing most of those songs. He published a review on the offical site that while praising CD basicly insulted the old records. He's said that slash ruined UYI and should have left after AFD. If i'm not mistaken most of the problems with stephanie occured around then too. It was after that tour that he began avoiding the media to a greater extent than before. And things began to take their current shape.

So i'd say perhaps the classification of Matt and Gilby in this sence relates to his contempt for that time period of the band. Just my opinion and I could be full of shit.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I think in some ways the concept of it kind of bites him in the ass in the current.

In a way, Live Era acknowledges GN'R as all of the 'original' sourced band members, i.e. Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven & Dizzy (their first keyboardist), but looks at Matt & Gilby as hired Guns.

I could be full of shit.

Could?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

My opinon based on utter guesses is that most of the trauma with Axl seems to relate to the UYI period. He now avoids playing most of those songs. He published a review on the offical site that while praising CD basicly insulted the old records. He's said that slash ruined UYI and should have left after AFD. If i'm not mistaken most of the problems with stephanie occured around then too. It was after that tour that he began avoiding the media to a greater extent than before. And things began to take their current shape.

So i'd say perhaps the classification of Matt and Gilby in this sence relates to his contempt for that time period of the band. Just my opinion and I could be full of shit.

Very likely. He's said before that when he goes back and listens to the Illusion records he can't help but to hear a "band breaking up".

He's simply too close to the material. He's got an emotional attachment to the music, and it's bittersweet with those records, so he doesn't want to perform them.

But at the same time, he's got paying customers that have been BEGGING for years to hear more Illusion albums. And I think he also has to realize he's got an ENTIRE generation that grew up with the UYI albums, and NOT AFD. I heard the Illusion material first, and fell in love. THEN, I went back for AFD, and found a superior record.

But for years, my favorite GN'R has been the UYI studio/1991 lineup of Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Matt & Dizzy, and that's because that's the one I first identified with as "GUNS N' ROSES". I've met many of people on the street, in life, at GN'R shows themselves, that were MAJORLY disappointed by the lack of love for UYI. There's an entire niche of fans out there, that think Axl has abandoned them, simply because they enjoyed those albums.

If Axl feels strongly enough... would anyone really be all that pissed to hear a UYI "best of" re-record? It's not as sacred as AFD, it wouldn't be considered blasphemy by most, and it would allow him to take what he thought was the strongest, retool it with the current band, still with the old sound, and do it ALL his way, and see what happens. Who knows, people might just love it.

It also wouldn't be a bad idea to do 'album' shows. Meaning every so often, you do a UYI 1 heavy setlist with some classics & CD mixed in, another day you do a UYI 2 heavy setlist with some classics & CD mixed in, another day you mix up UYI with some classics & CD, etc.

AtariLegend wrote:

Web archive has removed alot of the old screenshots/pages from back then or possibly moved them.

Any chance anyone has screenshots or anything from the old 1999 website lying around still? Really should have taken screenshots years ago myself.

Alot of crazy/curious rumors back then.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I would also like to add to that and ask if anyone has screenshots of those old bulletin boards from around 97-98? I don't remember the names of them unfortunately. If we knew, might be able to find them in the internet archive.

deadsouth
 Rep: 10 

deadsouth wrote:

.44 Caliber horticulture was my first gnr forum back in 97-98

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
deadsouth wrote:

I remember that (although I never registered there)! It was part of the GNR 'web ring' back then... Takes me back, the internet used to be an entirely different place... smile.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

HTGTH was my first GNR website. Later Roses of Velvet and Mygnr and Evo. I did join SLC Punk's site too I think.

deadsouth
 Rep: 10 

deadsouth wrote:
TheMole wrote:
deadsouth wrote:

I remember that (although I never registered there)! It was part of the GNR 'web ring' back then... Takes me back, the internet used to be an entirely different place... smile.

Yes, the golden days of Web Rings, and Netscape browser.  I cannot find a single result for it though(only the bootleg CD of the same name)... Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, maybe it was just more a fan site than an actual forum...

For anyone whos never seen the internet pre 2000: http://www.wonder-tonic.com/geocitiesizer/

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

My first site was "The Lost Rose" which was a blog I think. Then I found HTGTH, where I stayed for a few years.

Board footer