You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: Tommy Stinson Talks Democracy

war wrote:
Neemo wrote:
war wrote:
Neemo wrote:

you beat me tongue

you could pretend it was mine and just delete it 13

suck it up buttercup 16

first time i've ever been called buttercup 16

Sky Dog wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I dont get this lack of support claim, when you have the talent, the instruments, the studios and the budget - go to work!!

Point taken. I don't know that after getting 10 million bucks what 'support' would you need? He had plenty of money and as it seems the record company left Axl do what he wanted. (I have to point out though that rumours says when they suggested a producer whom Axl didn't like, he just crashed the CDs with his car and sent it back.) So Axl got all the control, nobody told him what to do, nobody said 'I don't wanna do piano ballads' etc. Axl has nobody else to blame but himself for this clusterfuck. He deperately wanted the control ('Rose suggests he simply needed to take control to survive. ''It is the old story that you are told when you're a kid: 'Don't buy a car with your friends,' ', he says with his eyes straight ahead.''Nobody could get the wheel. Everybody had the wheel. And when you have a bunch of guys, I'm telling you, you are driving the car off the cliff. http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/arti … ticleid=30), but wasn't able to live up to the things a leader position requires.

Like Nick Cave would say about Axl's control issue:

'Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers'

Tommy addresses this.....everyone knew who had the ultimate decision. You wanna be the man then you gotta accept what happens....

"But I think [Axl`s] passion was always in the right place. He was like, 'You know what? When I feel that it's done, that is when it is going to be done,' You can look at that any way you want. And if you're the leader of the band, it fucking falls on him anyway. Good or bad, successful or not. I think whatever he had to go through to get to that point is totally cool. There's none of us that could have ever gone to him and said, 'Dude, I think you're taking too long.' That wouldn't have made sense. He had to do what he had to do to make it the right record, and only he knew in his head what that was going to be." neutral

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Good interview. Wish he would go into more detail. Tired of these generalizations and "Cliffs notes" version of the CD saga. They're all just repeating themselves at this point. We don't get any cool stories about the actual making of the record. Considering it took basically four different lineups to finish this one album, there has to be at least one thing they can say without the fans having to rely on people like Zutuat to spill the beans.

At least he's talking. I'd rather hear Stinson discuss it than hear nothing. He just needs to give more info since he was there from the start.

Glad he admits its the Axl Rose show. We already knew that of course, but now there's no denying it and those who say this is a band just like the classic line up was can simply sit back and enjoy the music and stop thinking such nonsense.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah I was kind of surprised by that. Then again Tommy has always been the most honest one it seems of the entire group.

PGER83
 Rep: 5 

PGER83 wrote:

"But I think [Axl`s] passion was always in the right place. He was like, 'You know what? When I feel that it's done, that is when it is going to be done,' You can look at that any way you want. And if you're the leader of the band, it fucking falls on him anyway. Good or bad, successful or not. I think whatever he had to go through to get to that point is totally cool. There's none of us that could have ever gone to him and said, 'Dude, I think you're taking too long.' That wouldn't have made sense. He had to do what he had to do to make it the right record, and only he knew in his head what that was going to be."

I dont see this as conclusively saying that its "the Axl Rose show"

He says Axl's the "leader" of the band but that was never in doubt.
That doesnt mean its not a band on band terms, Roger Waters was the leader of Pink Floyd for years ( but his behavior made a change inevitable)
Paul Westerberg, Kurt Cobain, Eddie Van Halen, Tony Iommi (even in the 70s)
Many others. Nothing was done till those guys said it was, but that doesnt mean those were not bands.

He said things fall on Axl that's also in no doubt. He gets blamed for everthing
as the leader rightly or wrongly, nobody who hates this album blames the band at all. If your going to get blamed for something geing bad or a flop you have should at least make it a bad flop you are happy with.

Tommy seems to understand that it's easy for him and the others to say it's good enough becouse they are not the ones who will be shit on for it.

None of this explains or justifies the stupidly long wait, but it does just as little to say this is not a band or that the abum is less than the sum of it's parts.
it just says Axl had to be happy with it since he was going to take the shit for it more than the others.

...God I sound like a nutswinger.

Sky Dog wrote:

Tommy's cool either way......and I like the record so the drama is pretty much immaterial to me at this point. Next.......

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
PGER83 wrote:

"But I think [Axl`s] passion was always in the right place. He was like, 'You know what? When I feel that it's done, that is when it is going to be done,' You can look at that any way you want. And if you're the leader of the band, it fucking falls on him anyway. Good or bad, successful or not. I think whatever he had to go through to get to that point is totally cool. There's none of us that could have ever gone to him and said, 'Dude, I think you're taking too long.' That wouldn't have made sense. He had to do what he had to do to make it the right record, and only he knew in his head what that was going to be."

I dont see this as conclusively saying that its "the Axl Rose show"

He says Axl's the "leader" of the band but that was never in doubt.
That doesnt mean its not a band on band terms, Roger Waters was the leader of Pink Floyd for years ( but his behavior made a change inevitable)
Paul Westerberg, Kurt Cobain, Eddie Van Halen, Tony Iommi (even in the 70s)
Many others. Nothing was done till those guys said it was, but that doesnt mean those were not bands.

He said things fall on Axl that's also in no doubt. He gets blamed for everthing
as the leader rightly or wrongly, nobody who hates this album blames the band at all. If your going to get blamed for something geing bad or a flop you have should at least make it a bad flop you are happy with.

Tommy seems to understand that it's easy for him and the others to say it's good enough becouse they are not the ones who will be shit on for it.

None of this explains or justifies the stupidly long wait, but it does just as little to say this is not a band or that the abum is less than the sum of it's parts.
it just says Axl had to be happy with it since he was going to take the shit for it more than the others.

...God I sound like a nutswinger.

I think what James is getting at is that Tommy is acknowledging that CD was an Axl Rose record. He was the alpha/omega. It begin and ended with him.

That's not a band.

So for all of these dumbasses that've been running around forever and ever going on about how "this is a band, and this just goes to show..." are full of crap and lying to themselves. It's not a band. It's Axl's backing musicians in his solo act.

MAYBE, just maybe, the next record might actually be a 'band' album, considering he's past the whole CD clusterfuck, and he's past the previous band's, that the current lineup just might be a fresh start.

But I doubt it. I'm sure he'll still have executive decision.

war

war wrote:

he'll always have the executive decision.

if he was willing to give that up he'd reunite with some or all of the original members.

it's best to wish for a stable group of backing musicians, rather than a band, which is fine with me.

as far as writing goes, axl seems to give them the keys to the studio and tell them when he wants the results for him to mold to his liking. as close to a band as you're gonna get without actually being one.

Sky Dog wrote:

he only has 3 stable musicians-Goose, Dizzy, and Tommy.

war

war wrote:

that's the problem IMO

Board footer