You are not logged in. Please register or login.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

Re: Mixing "Guns N' Roses" LIve With Waves

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

I thought it sounded good, and anyway is'nt the point of rehearsals to perfect what you are rehearsing?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

If #1 was Ron then why the hell didn't he play like that on the album? That sounded great. If that is him I'm really excited to hear what music he'll bring to the band smile

Actually, #2 kind of sounded the worst to me and #3 was just going along with him (or his style) more than he was #1. I might need to listen to it again. It isn't horrible, don't get me wrong. And I might just be used to Robin's playing.

EDIT:

I take it back, #2 sounds okay, he was just overlapping with #1. My bad.

They all sound great playing together from what I hear.

Also wanted to add that Tommy's Bass and Dizzy's organ really remake the song and make it killer, imo.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

sounded pretty killer I thought

BrokenGlassNCigs
 Rep: 25 

I really laugh when some fans berate the band for the engineer not specifically using the guitarists names. Are you kidding? He's an engineer. All he needs to know is what he said: where they are on stage. Stage left, right, far right, center, back. His job doesn't include having to know Ron Thal, Richard Fortus, and whatever DJ Ashba's real name is.

Be glad he's on board with Axl, he obviously knows what's he's doing.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

If #1 was Ron then why the hell didn't he play like that on the album? That sounded great.

Well there isn't really an equivilant song on the album I guess, also there was so much guitar already done on it, really by the time he added the solos he does, and a few rhythm textures here and there...I like his album contributions though.

misterID wrote:

They all sound great playing together from what I hear.

Yeah the interlapping of all the little fills and stuff has potential to be really good. In my opinion this version could be pretty sweet....it's interesting that people are unhappy with it...when it sounds closer to the original than robin's rendition from memory. I had no problems with most of the 3rd guitarists peformance...I will achnolwladge that there's places where he changes the melody a bit...which on a solo that famous is suspicious....but I think we need a full solo section to judge it.

Overall I will say of this sample:

1. Shows that they are making the 3 guitar thing work out quite well on some tracks. (I've always been skeptical of it, as i feel it has potential to just muddy up the songs on songs written for less guitars). I felt they pulled off a nice full sounding thing here.

2. Worried me slightly that Dj's version of the solo might adjust some of the key phrases from AFD, be interesting to see how much like robin he plays vs how much like slash. But this worry was not severe for me yet - i'm just flagging it as a potential issue! I can see cause for concern...but not anything so bad that it's worth getting stressed...it was afterall a rehersal...maybe he's just playin it from memory and hasn't sat down to really learn it correctly yet....be interesting to see.

3. Overall gets me really excited to hear the new band. I'd love to hear the full song from that soundboard and get a sence of it. Bring on this tour.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

At this point, i'd rather the new guys just do their own thing with the songs. I don't need a Slash copycat up there, because none of them have NEAR the talent to even bother.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
misterID wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by UziSuicidal LLC.

For those who missed it, the audio;

http://www.zshare.net/audio/5908454875cdde0e/

How is UziSuicidal(?) making these requests? I thought Uzi Suicide was done away with a long time ago. Is this legit or just someone pretending to be part of the band?

Its definitely legit. Youtube doesn't let random people remove shit like wikipedia does. Its the main reason I rarely try and upload GNR stuff on our youtube account. I got sick of uploading vids that would immediately be rejected. Its dumb because youtube is free promotion for artists. Its the new MTV. So since GNR hate promotion, I upload vids of NIN, MIA, Soundgarden,etc. whenever I use it.

Some people view youtube as a promotional tool (artsists that is), but some view it as stealing material without permission.  Not saying that's what happened here, but Saturday Night Live is constantly pulling down videos.  Howard Stern hates it when Howard TV shows pop up on there.  GNR is certainly not alone in not bowing down and loving everything that youtube stands for.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for everything to be up on youtube because I have nothing to lose.  But I can certainly see the other side.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

At this point, i'd rather the new guys just do their own thing with the songs. I don't need a Slash copycat up there, because none of them have NEAR the talent to even bother.

Interesting you feel that way. To me...Slash is so insanely talented, on so many levels, I have the utmost respect for him as an artist. The man is an icon for a very good reason and putting most guitarsits in a competition with him in my mind would be very bad for those guitarists. However, I also think the players in the current line up are excellent musicians and have their own unique abilities, so I want to answer this without getting into the X vs Y debate as that's just going to derail the thread....with hate posts from both sides smile

But my interest in this is, given it's a cover, is : "what level of copying is bad, and what is good". Now i'd agree with you in the sence that I dislike it if it became peformed in the style of most GNR tribute bands. That is, I don't want to see a guy who isn't slash, get up on stage in a tophat, mimic slash's stage moves, and peformance, and generally be "slash light". That would be very lame. And so I get that there is a certain level of authenticity needed in a peformance, that an artist needs to be able to add their own style, their own approach to the songs etc.

However...at the same time, I feel it's offensive to a "song" if it's changed too badly. While a lot of songs have room for changes, and perhaps its just the guitarist in me, but I feel like a lot of these songs the lead guitar melodies are a famous and intrinsic part of the song. It'd be like a cover of Pink Floyd's "another brick in the wall part 2" that had a totally different guitar solo...in my mind that doesn't work...you know the melody of the solo in your head and wait to hear it live. Doesn't always have to be exact note for note - there's room for some impro - even slash used to impro - but there's key passages that are fundemental and need to be there.

My issue with Robin's playing was pretty much that. I love how he plays on the Chinese Democracy songs, but  his interpretation of slash's parts used to frustrate me badly...as while interesting, as a person who thinks of the song as going a certain way, it's basicly like playing it wrong, like singing "happy birthday" then breaking out into a different melody on the last line or something.

The solo melodies are pretty important to these songs. Changing them can be like if Axl got up there and decided to change the lyrics and melody to the verse. It's his song and his right to do so...but as fans of the old versions when seeing them live it would be pretty upsetting when you are 'singing' along in your head. Same thing with the lead guitar lines.

So I don't want DJ up there pretending he is slash, but at the same time, I think robin used to kind of re-invent the wheel, and having a healthy respect for the source material is fundemental. If they are going to play a classic song from the 80s, by all means add some extra stuff, modernise some parts, and show off your own abilities, but don't defeat the purpose of playing a classic by altering the melodies to the point where the feel of the song is lost.

The 07 band managed this with Nightrain pretty well...in that they kept most of the melodies, yet gave some openings for bumble (and before him bucket on the 02 tour) to show off his shred skills. But that song lent it's self to that cos of the modes and stuff in it. It's tougher with the other songs. So it's a fine balance...but that sweet child solo is pretty iconic in the studio form...like the melodies..

A good example of balance is what doug aldrich does in whitesnake...he hits the lines played by Vai and Sykes, and also mixes in his own talents...and does it in a way where the songs feel respected but it's clear he's adding his own skills....the alternative way...Robin's way leaves a lot pf fans with a taste of "this guy is killing the songs" in my opinion...I dont mean to bash robin...i love his work on CD...i'm just saying the cover issue is vexed...what amount of changes is acceptable and what's not!

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

if and when i see them live i would prefer a true copy of the old material...or as close as possible in sound

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

copying equals talent?

i think it's the other way around.

i've been able to play the sweet child solo note for note without mistakes since i was 14. yes, i have talent but i never could have come up with my own solo of that quality until years and years of practice later.

Board footer