You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: Scraped Introduction Poll

war wrote:

axl struggles live at times due to the immense amount of stress he puts on his voice while using rasp and (more so in the past) poor vocal technique. in axl's defense, proper technique doesn't allow him to do some of the things he does with his voice that we love. as far as axl trying to mimic his own studio perfection live, only axl knows his limits on that given day. due to his abilities and the way the voice works, axl is gonna have bad days regardless of what he goes for. he's certainly better in the studio, as buzz indicated. everyone is. you get multiple chances to re-do your parts and you can take breaks to resolve any issues you may be having with your body.  the studio, on the other hand, doesn't portray the energy that a great performer like axl can submit. only axl knows for sure whether or not he could dumb down his vocal parts to fascilitate a more obtainable level of consistency on the live front without ruining the experience or quality of the song.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

The ONLY reason I can think of other than his voice is off more than it is on is if he couldn't find 25 songs where everybody in the band was on, and since he couldn't re-record Slash's parts (well, not with Slash at least), then his only option was finding decent band performances and redoing the vocals.

I remember reading an interview with slash where he said he co-operated with live-era and that he and axl never spoke directly but that others in the process facilitated any commincation needed. He went in to overdub some parts to fix them up - like bits that were not auidable on the recordings but he then said something like when he played it back he was pretty happy with what existed and decided not to overdub much.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

The ONLY reason I can think of other than his voice is off more than it is on is if he couldn't find 25 songs where everybody in the band was on, and since he couldn't re-record Slash's parts (well, not with Slash at least), then his only option was finding decent band performances and redoing the vocals.

I remember reading an interview with slash where he said he co-operated with live-era and that he and axl never spoke directly but that others in the process facilitated any commincation needed. He went in to overdub some parts to fix them up - like bits that were not auidable on the recordings but he then said something like when he played it back he was pretty happy with what existed and decided not to overdub much.

Interesting.  I know there were some nights that Slash wasn't at his best either, but didn't know anything about this.  I still can't believe they couldn't find 25 songs where everything was good enough the way it was.  Axl had to have enough good material (including his vocals) to release a live album without altering it.  Not that anything with Axl makes sense, but I wonder why he just didn't do that.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

From what I remember reading in Slash's book, the songs from Live Era were tweaked instrumetally and vocally.  He said he was psyched about it even though it wasn't a true "live" album because he had listened to a bunch of live albums from his favorite bands growing up.  And for the record I don't remember Slash placing any blame on Axl for it.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

I love it

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I too have always thought Live Era is MAJORLY underrated.

I've also never understood the shit it gets. Almost EVERY fuckin' band tweaks and re-records their live material for release.

One of the most popular live albums/experiences ever, was KISS Alive! and they fessed up they did some re-record tweaked instrumentally and vocally in the studio before it was released.

Live is never truely live, unless it's a boot. But I still enjoy live records that have been spitshined. Nothing wrong with that imo, and I love Live Era. Somedays I think it's version of Nightrain & Jungle are better than the studios, and I most definitely think Move To The City & Knockin' sounded the best on Live Era.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I never said I don't like the albums.  They are fine for what they are.  I think the only GnR album (not counting CD) that I don't own is GH.  I keep Live Era in my car and listen to it from time to time, I'm just disappointed that they didn't just tweak the sound without re-recording it.  I think the old band was magical live (even with their fuck ups).

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I never said I don't like the albums.  They are fine for what they are.  I think the only GnR album (not counting CD) that I don't own is GH.  I keep Live Era in my car and listen to it from time to time, I'm just disappointed that they didn't just tweak the sound without re-recording it.  I think the old band was magical live (even with their fuck ups).

I definitely agree with this.  It's expected for them to tweak with it, but when it comes down to actually re-recording quite a bit of the album, that's where it goes too far. 

I also thought they should have included the Bad Time intro to SCOM.

Board footer