You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: The Howard Stern Thread

faldor wrote:

Stern's original contract with Sirius just expired at the end of last year and he re-upped for another five years.  So they've got awhile left on satellite.  He says this will be the last contract and he will retire once the 5 years are up, but he said that about the last contract too, so you never know.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I think he still has enough of a fanbase that he could run an internet-exclusive show, with subscription content and turn a tidy profit with his fan base.

He also could dictate his shows too.

Instead of doing it 5 days a week, he could do it once a week or once a month or so.

His quality might improve vastly with less shows.

faldor

faldor wrote:

As part of his new contract, he only has to do the show 3 days a week.  They haven't done 5 days since they first started at Sirius.  They started out doing a full week, then soon reverted to 4 days.  Now they're rotating between 4 and 3 days, but eventually it'll just be 3.  So there's already a limited schedule.

Stern is still hands down the best interviewer out there.  He gets guests to open up and talk about stuff they wouldn't do anywhere else but the privacy of their own homes.  He's still on top of his game there.  And the show is still great, it just seems to lack that extra voice at times.  Artie was such a huge personality and told great stories, that obviously there was going to be a void there.  So the show is just a little different now, with more of the focus on Howard, Robin, Benjy, and the rest of the crew.  I just found Artie far more interesting.  You can never go wrong with a fat, heroin addict, self hating comic.  It's radio gold.  Sadly, it's also what brings him down at the same time.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I never really even got into the show until Artie got there. I never found Jackie that funny, and I thought Artie interjected ALOT of the comedy into the show, and also brought an "every man" quality to the show that made it more honest and even more relatable to the common man. Even with the drug addiction and suicide attempt(s).

I have absolutely no interest with him not there. Artie is good people. I'd take Artie anyway I can get him. Even fucked up he's a fuckin' riot. It's sad his substance abuse takes such a toll on his psyche, 'cause we all love him any way we can get him.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Agreed.  I didn't start listening to the show regularly until Artie came aboard.  I listen to the old shows now with Jackie and even Billy West, and there's no comparison for me.  The show overall with Artie was so much better.  To think he was f'ed up all those years on drugs and he still delivered, for the most part.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Good news/Bad news on the Artie front.  Looks like he won't be coming back to the Stern Show anytime soon, but that was to be expected.  The good news though, is it looks like Fox Sports is in talks to give he and comedian Nick DiPaolo their own show.  Might be a radio show worth checking out.  I saw Artie at a comedy club in Boston about 8 years ago or so and Nick opened for him, along with Stuttering John.  Honestly, Nick was the funniest guy of the night.  He's a great comedian.  A good pairing.

sternshow Stern Show
Listen to H100 News: TMZ talks to Artie Lange about his desire to return to radio. bit.ly/pXjUkj

http://www.tmz.com/2011/07/13/artie-lan … featuredhp

Artie Lange Plotting HUGE Radio/TV Comeback

7/13/2011 6:30 PM PDT by TMZ Staff 

Comedian Artie Lange is in serious talks to make a triumphant return to the airwaves after leaving "The Howard Stern Show" last year ... TMZ has learned.

Sources with direct knowledge of the negotiations tell us Artie would team with his pal and fellow comedian Nick DiPaolo for the talk show.

We're told the people behind "The Dan Patrick Show" are putting the deal together -- and like Dan's show ... Artie and Nick's would be nationally simulcast on DirecTV and Fox Sports Radio.

Artie hasn't had a permanent home on the air since leaving Stern in January, 2010 -- but when he guest hosted an FSR show last week ... he said he definitely wants to come back to radio.

It's not a done deal yet ... but we're told both sides are anxious to make it happen in time for a September premiere.

Stay tuned.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Holy friggin' shit... a radio show with Artie & Nick DiPaolo would be awesome.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Artie's making news everyday now it seems.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/07/15/artie-lan … ard-audio/

Artie Lange: Howard Called Me at the Psych Ward
7/15/2011 10:10 AM PDT by TMZ Staff 

Lange dropped the Dan Patrick Show a line this morning, claiming, "Howard called me a bunch of times when i was going through the hardest parts of my ordeal ... he called me when I was in the psych ward once."

As we previously reported, Lange disappeared from the Stern show in January 2010 to deal with a private medical condition.

Lange claims he'd do anything to get back on the Stern show -- telling DP, "I would vacuum the studio. I would do anything they wanted ... I would do it in a heartbeat."

We broke the story ... Artie's plotting his own return to radio -- a sports show unaffiliated with Stern -- but so far, no deal's in place.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Howard was back on the air today after a 2 week break and commented briefly on Artie early in the show.  Unfortunately Robin wouldn't shut up and kind of derailed Howard from saying anything more, though I'm not sure he had much more to say anyway.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Artie was on Letterman on Friday.  I was a little surprised they never brought up Howard or the suicide attempt.  I guess that's a touchy subject though.

Board footer