You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Please Play TWAT more when a tour happens

misterID wrote:

Eddie Trunk said that's what Duff told him on That Metal Show. They talk about GNR in every episode almost.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

The only thing I have heard old members say about the album is variations of "Axl sounds great, good to hear his voice again".

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

It was more than just universal that was responsible in promoting it, Buzz. BB was more responsible than anyone. And by all accounts, none did a real good job, including Axl.

The album did good for the most part, no matter how much that pains you. Critics liked it. It got a lot of great reviews from the big mags. It's sold 3 million copies. And it was actually one of the best selling albums for Geffen in 2008. CD the single did well for more than a very, very, very, very brief time, like you're trying to spin it (shocking)...

Could it come back and do something else? Who knows. But its not the kind of album that will rule the world. It's never going to be as big as Appeite. It's not dead, it can still sell more albums if promoted right. But if you're holding a 1987-1991 standard on what a GNR album should sell today, you need to update your 'business world' books... Or you're just jaded.

I agree with Duff when he said recently that Chinese Democracy will be much more appreciated as time goes on, and will also become more successful -- that it's a slow building album.

Why do you think BB didn't market it?  Because they wanted to just give Axl money for nothing?  I'm going to say no.  I'll take answer b: they knew it wasn't going to sell once they heard the whole thing as well.  They cut their losses.

How long was CD (the single) on the Top 100?  Not the rock list, I'm talking the real Top 100.  I bet never is the answer, if not, it was a very, very, very short time.  How many albums do you think an Axl/Slash GnR album would have sold?  That's the standard I'm holding it to.  If you're going to be GnR, then you have to be GnR and accept the expectations that go with that.  You can't just take the sales that go with the name and not take the expectations.  You cannot have it both ways.

If by slow building you mean that 20 years from now people might say it wasn't as bad as everyone though it was at the time, then I might agree with you.  If by slow building you mean the album will come back to the top 10 again, you're nuts.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Why do you think BB didn't market it?  Because they wanted to just give Axl money for nothing?  I'm going to say no.  I'll take answer b: they knew it wasn't going to sell once they heard the whole thing as well.  They cut their losses.

I'll take answer c:

The moment Best Buy noticed Axl and the band weren't going to promote it, they simply said fuck it and let it rot on store shelves. Best Buy had promos, those displays, and it was promoted in their sale papers for a couple weeks.

There's no way in hell they did a "blind buy" with Chinese Democracy and then when they heard it, simply ceased all promotion. They knew after those first week sales came in, Axl doing zero promo, and the album's record breaking descent from the Top 200 that there was no point in sinking more money into it.

The only thing shocking about any of this is Best Buy not doing a huge discount on this so it would fly off the shelves. Now it may be too late. At its current descent, it will be selling around 100 copies a week in about six weeks.

If by slow building you mean the album will come back to the top 10 again, you're nuts.

NOBODY expects that. Best case scenario is it pops up on the charts around 150-200 when a tour starts. If its lucky, it can sustain that position during the duration of the tour.

ALL parties involved fucked up this album. Its mind boggling that Axl and Uni pulled the trigger, but when you have a company willing to pay off your tab and 80% of it had already leaked anyways, who would refuse? I wouldn't be surprised if we find out later on that Best Buy went to them offering this exclusive and that is what set the wheels in motion to actually release something. Then it became not about the art, but about wrapping the leaks and a couple bonuses in cellophane so Best Buy could turn it into a beer coaster.

Best Buy is really screwed if there is a rerelease in the planning stage. Nobody(and I literally mean nobody) is going to want that initial Best Buy release.

Best Buy should go dig up a landfill next to those Atari 2600 E.T. cartridges.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

I loved the ET game.

Sky Dog wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I'll take answer c:

The moment Best Buy noticed Axl and the band weren't going to promote it, they simply said fuck it and let it rot on store shelves. Best Buy had promos, those displays, and it was promoted in their sale papers for a couple weeks.

There's no way in hell they did a "blind buy" with Chinese Democracy and then when they heard it, simply ceased all promotion. They knew after those first week sales came in, Axl doing zero promo, and the album's record breaking descent from the Top 200 that there was no point in sinking more money into it.

The only thing shocking about any of this is Best Buy not doing a huge discount on this so it would fly off the shelves. Now it may be too late. At its current descent, it will be selling around 100 copies a week in about six weeks.

If by slow building you mean the album will come back to the top 10 again, you're nuts.

NOBODY expects that. Best case scenario is it pops up on the charts around 150-200 when a tour starts. If its lucky, it can sustain that position during the duration of the tour.

ALL parties involved fucked up this album. Its mind boggling that Axl and Uni pulled the trigger, but when you have a company willing to pay off your tab and 80% of it had already leaked anyways, who would refuse? I wouldn't be surprised if we find out later on that Best Buy went to them offering this exclusive and that is what set the wheels in motion to actually release something. Then it became not about the art, but about wrapping the leaks and a couple bonuses in cellophane so Best Buy could turn it into a beer coaster.

Best Buy is really screwed if there is a rerelease in the planning stage. Nobody(and I literally mean nobody) is going to want that initial Best Buy release.

Best Buy should go dig up a landfill next to those Atari 2600 E.T. cartridges.

good one....

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Has anyone been in BB lately?  What is CD selling for these days???

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Buzz,

I went there last week and casually glanced at the cd rack.  The yellow price tag indicated the price was $11.99.  So it was selling at regular price.  There was still a lot of Chinese Democracy cd's there too.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

So it still hasn't made the $5.99 bargain bin I guess.  Maybe once the full 6 months is up...

Board footer