You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Eddie Trunk: What's Up With Guns N Roses?

misterID wrote:

Axl missed the boat in 2002-2004. I'm really just interested in that material, secondly in a new album from this new line up, which I'm not all thrilled about, especially with Robin being gone. But I'm still interested.

The band isn't dead. There will be tours. There's always going to be a label and promoter interested in Axl and GNR. And it'll be successful if done right. That's about all I can say that's "positive" about the current situation. 

If you judge success by stadium tours and 10 million albums sold, then you're not living in reality, or your just trying to undermine anything Axl does, which is lame and would backfire on you if a reunion did happen. A reunion in the US would be a stinker if they planned it as a stadium tour... A huge stinker. Outside the US it would be huge. But according to some logic here, all that counts is American sells, selling ten million albums and a stadium tour. That is how they judge GNR success... And that ain't gonna happen.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
faldor wrote:

That is an interesting thought about promoters being scared due to Axl not willing to promote.  I never really thought of it that way.  That would make more sense than the old "no one is interested" excuse.  Axl's never been much of a promoter but they always had Slash and Duff to do that kind of stuff.  I'm pretty sure none of the guys in the band now could pick up the slack like those guys.

Yep, and going back to the Illusion days, they, along with Gilby, were doing ALL the promotional stuff.

Axl would be greatly benefitted by a reunion just on that account. They'd do all the leg work, get all the glory, he'd get all the money, still control the mother fucker from top to bottom 'cause he's got the name, and all he has to do is show up, belt some tunes, and leave. He already travels seperately with the new band.

Nobody in the new band could do any of this, and even if they did, it'd take years, and tons of mainstream exposure as Guns N' Roses [insert band role] in order to achieve it.

The only person in this band, the casual person knows is Axl Rose, and that includes Dizzy Reed. Even with Tommy Stinson, if anyone can remember him, they say Replacements or Soul Asylum, before GN'R. DJ Ashba will deal with the same thing. More people will say Sixx:AM.

This isn't because GN'R isn't a bigger name. Believe me - it is, even now. It's because they're not presented and exposed as Guns N' Roses. The closest tools Axl has is Ron & Tommy, and like I said - years, it would take, even with Tommy's seniority.

misterID wrote:

If you judge success by stadium tours and 10 million albums sold, then you're not living in reality, or your just trying to undermine anything Axl does, which is lame and would backfire on you if a reunion did happen. A reunion in the US would be a stinker if they planned it as a stadium tour... A huge stinker. Outside the US it would be huge. But according to some logic here, all that counts is American sells, selling ten million albums and a stadium tour. That is how they judge GNR success... And that ain't gonna happen.

Investers do. Bottom line people do. The business does. If people don't believe that, then they're not living in reality.

And if you really think a U.S. stadium tour of a reunited Guns N' Roses would bomb, you seriously aren't living in reality.

It wouldn't be 1991/92, no. But it would be mighty successful, and even work in stadiums. Guns N' Roses is still an ENORMOUS brand name, even STILL to this day, on the level of their rock brothers Metallica, despite so little output and so much inactivity from GN'R.

All that's happened, is like Buzz has said, the audience and music loving public has informed Axl and the hardcore fans, that only YOU (us) want to call this or see this Guns N' Roses.

There still waiting with baited breath for the real one to come back. Trust me. Otherwise Axl would be doing interviews, talking about Chinese Democracy, and not talking about Slash Slash Slash and reunions, and how he's still cool with Duff & Izzy.

If you needed any idea of the idea of reunion, go back to 2006. Watch every show Izzy is introduced in, and the places, including festivals, go fucking nuts. That's just Izzy. Could you imagine if it's Slash?

There's still plenty of interest, and in case you're wondering, GN'R could still put out another Greatest Hits and have it go multi-platinum.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Yeah, everyone's just been waiting for a GNR reunion. Do you really think the original GNR fanbase is as big as U2, Metallica or even Aerosmith to carry a stadium tour today? Come on... 

It doesn't matter how much press they do. A reunion would not be as big as some of you think, no matter how many times Slash goes on Ellen.

A reunion would be big, not huge. That's reality. It would fight to be as big as Motley Crue here in the US, and still I'm not sure it could do that. An album (which in reality would probably never be finished just like a tour) would sell a little more as CD and VR in the US. That's good, real good, but even if it sold 2 million it would be a failure according to Buzz.

And if you're quoting buzz, your argument is really scraping the bottom of the barrell.

This whole music buying public, as a whole, doesn't hold the original GNR in high enough regard to care who's in it now. Nobody is waiting for a reunion except you guys. And "they" don't care if I call it GNR or if you refuse to. They couldn't give a shit.

And really, who cares? Any reunion that doesn't include Buckethead or Robin really is just another day in the GNR world to me. Don't get me wrong, it would be cool seeing the original line up on stage again, but that's about all you'd get out of it. I'm just not hoping or anticipating something I know will never happen. And I'm sure as hell not building up some fantasy scenerio or response for it.

It's just nice to see that nearly every single thread and argument still eventualy leads to this pipe dream, from a few of you.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

If you don't think that the music world would go ape shit for a Axl/Slash reunion, you're nuts.  There's no other explanation for it.  It's not a pipe dream for a few, it's apipe dream for the majority.  There are far less people hanging around GnR sites these days...have you noticed that?  There are even less involved in actual GnR discussions...have you noticed that?  Most of the die hard fans of the original band have given up and left the boards.  So just because they aren't here backing me up doesn't mean that anything has changed in what people want.  What's changed is what people believe will happen.  Do you know what completely sucked the air out of the sails?  Think about it...the minute Axl launched his Slash tirade, everything stopped.  the media covered the tirade, then nothing else. 

When't the last time you saw someone other than Eddie trunk in the media talk about Axl?  When's the last time a friend asked you about Axl or new GnR?  Exactly.

The pipe dream for the few is the new band somehow having a successful life of it's own.  It doesn't.  There's no chance of it.  GnR is officially dead until a reunion.  If that never happens, there is nothing left to talk about.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

there was only one other person who could generate the same media frenzy that Slash used to create....:buckethead:...bring him back....and new GNR may just impress the masses...

Sky Dog wrote:

I think the new band...Bucket or not...is dead in the water. Axl could have pulled it off, but he didn't and he should take ALL the blame. The whole new Gnr thing just had too much bad karma from the get go.  It's over. It pains me to say it because I really love Axl and Tommy together...but it's over. sad

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

I think the new band...Bucket or not...is dead in the water. Axl could have pulled it off, but he didn't and he should take ALL the blame. The whole new Gnr thing just had too much bad karma from the get go.  It's over. It pains me to say it because I really love Axl and Tommy together...but it's over. sad

I agree, actually, that he could have pulled it off.  It always would have been difficult, but he could have pulled off at least a band that could have existed and mattered in some way instead of one that is an * in GnR history.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Um, well Buzz, the Slash tirade was kind of the last thing Axl did, so there isn't anything else to really report on with Axl.

And it really wouldn't matter or change anything if everyone on this site thought the way you do. It's still just a few bitter and jaded old GNR fans, and just like right now, it wouldn't mean a thing, no matter how many times you try to push your opinion off as fact. But you go ahead thinking that the original GNR will be huge again.

And despite everything involved with you on these boards, buzz, which for the most part I think is total nonsense, I'm not coming from a negative place. It's just that the original line up is not a huge part of my life. Thinking about them doesn't take up any of my time. And I have no emotional attachment in hoping to see them together again. And I don't have any of the negative feelings regarding the new band that you do. So, I think that is something I can understand from your POV, about this whole thing, that your feelings for the orginal line up, no matter how off base and unrealistic, and borderline belligerent I think you are about it sometimes, I can understand where you're coming from. And for your sake and a few others, I hope one day they share the stage together again.

Everyone is entitled to see the band how they want.

And if you think they're dead, mad, okay. I've just seen this episode before. I know how it ends up. Everything is dead until something happens. If it doesn't, oh well, I still want those 2002-2006 recordings.

For the record I think the band is exactly the same way its been since 1996. Nothings changed. Nothing is saying otherwise. Carry on...

Sky Dog wrote:

The way he released the album was the final dagger for me ID. After 14 years, he just cashes out and washes his hands of it. To me, the music is good, but everything else was terrible. neutral

misterID

misterID wrote:

Oh, I understand, but the release of the album followed everything to do with how this band has operated: Half ass.

I really think he did have a big vision for the album. But he shot himself in the foot too many times and the powers that be are the ones who cashed out.

CD could have been huge. Its not. He blew that chance. Nothing will change that. We'll see what happens next.

Board footer