You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Eddie Trunk: What's Up With Guns N Roses?

Axlin16 wrote:
Olorin wrote:

There must be something on the horizon, I wont start burning effigies just yet.
The mind boggles though how CD was apparantly finished before xmas 2007 leaving a whole year to plan the launch and it was a non event. When it was released there was still nothing organised and there was only "talks" regarding a tour.
They were not exactly slow off the mark with Skwerl and Dr Pepper, why is everything else so half arsed?

Because nothing is going on, and there are no plans. They can immediately respond to the little stuff, because it's put on a tee for them. But why talk or respond to or announce anything, that's simply not happening? He's reviewing offers, none of which he likes, which means he's not getting good offers, which reflects the state of the band and what GN'R means to the business now. Not much.

Axl wanted to release the album, and let everyone come to him. Problem is, it's not 1998, and even then that was a stretch. More like 1993. People don't crawl for Axl Rose anymore. If Axl wants to make new GN'R a serious contender in the music business, he's got to WORK. He's got to get out there, pressin' the flesh, doin' interviews, promotional stuff, etc. It's obvious he's not going to do that.

Problem is, if you don't do that... you'll slowly fade away into irrelevance. Welcome to G n' F'n' R's 2009.

madagas wrote:

He needs to do a theatre tour with venues the size of Hammerstein.....he still has a solid core of fanatics who will pay good money to see an intimate show in a theatre. There is still money to be made and you wouldn't need a lame ass opening act.

Anyhow, it doesn't matter. He has packed it in....the last cash grab for the new band would be to release a limited edition Chinese Democracy boxset with everything in it. Do it right for the hardcores and they will shell out plenty for it. Then, wash your hands of it.

That is actually a brilliant idea. The hardcore would bust a nut all over that. Touring on the new material, small tour, and releasing ALL of the CD sessions in a box set, maybe even that AFD re-record from back in '99. They'd love that.

That's why it'll never happen. Makes too much sense, and the fans would appreciate it too much.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

some due on Velvet Rope called Sorelle said
"I think the GNR guys only gave up and packed it in a couple of weeks ago, and they are probably still trying to get Axl back."

If he has any connections then I guess Axl has finally bailed for good.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
Neemo wrote:

there are a few crazy rumors floating around about the status of gnr at the moment...

Whats these rumours then? Pour yourself a whisky, I hear it helps 5

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

It's the same doomsday speel you guys post every few months. This is the way Axl operates. You guys don't know that by now? He's going to do what he wants, when he wants. *awaiting the inevitable "Yeah, but this time its really, really, really, really, for real different..." per usual response.*

The band is alive. It will continue. He has washed his hands of nothing. Nothing points to anything different. Same shit, different day...

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:

It's the same doomsday speel you guys post every few months. This is the way Axl operates. You guys don't know that by now? He's going to do what he wants, when he wants. *awaiting the inevitable "Yeah, but this time its really, really, really, really, for real different..." per usual response.*

The band is alive. It will continue. He has washed his hands of nothing. Nothing points to anything different. Same shit, different day...

Agreed.  People will never get used to the way Axl/GNR work I guess.  They'll always expect/assume the worst.  Then when something good happens they'll be excited for a few days and return to the doom and gloom soon after.  Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

It's the same doomsday speel you guys post every few months.

See this is something I have an issue with. To call it a "doomsday speel" is to cheapen, stating the obvious. A doomsday speel to me, is all of the people thinking the U.S. economy fluttering, is somehow the beginning of the end.

But I think the GN'R situation is very real, and very true. This man has some real business problems in the past, now, and in the future with the route he chose. Is it gonna change? No, but the band is still dead as a damn door nail.

misterID wrote:

This is the way Axl operates.

Very true.

misterID wrote:

You guys don't know that by now?

I think we all do, but I haven't dranken enough Kool Aid yet to be willing to bend at the ankles and smile through it.

misterID wrote:

He's going to do what he wants, when he wants.

I'm telling 'ya that train is about to run off into the ravine, if it hasn't already. Axl can't do what he wants, when nobody wants what he wants to do. Sure he can have a solo career, but he's at a fork in the road with GN'R, one that has been lurking in his life since the mid-90's. Last November he found out he wasn't alone what made GN'R - GN'R. He's got to come to terms with that. I'm not saying he doesn't have a future or his musical career won't go on, but even David Gilmour had to call it a day on being Pink Floyd without Roger Waters. Axl will be no different. Bank it.

misterID wrote:

The band is alive.

The band has been dead since 1993, some would argue 1991.

Cliche? Beat into the ground? Dead horse?

So is calling this BASTARD of a musical operation a "band".

misterID wrote:

It will continue.

I'm sure it will, but it doesn't change the situation one bit.

misterID wrote:

He has washed his hands of nothing. Nothing points to anything different. Same shit, different day...

Yeah, but people aren't going to put up with it forever. I've seen some absolute diehards that swore up and down about Axl for years, that are pulling up steaks and gettin' out of Dodge.

faldor wrote:

Agreed.  People will never get used to the way Axl/GNR work I guess.

No they won't, because it's a goddamn fucking joke. I'm not mad or pissed or anything, but seriously, that's what it is. It's a fucking laughing stock how that operation works. Alice In Chains hasn't put out a studio album since 1995, and they've been more headsmart in their revival than Axl could dream of. And don't tell me "baggage". AIC was a massive band at one time, and they're dealing with the baggage of a dead frontman. They may not succeed (very good chance). But they have at least made the right steps.

faldor wrote:

They'll always expect/assume the worst.

That's because that's what they are provided with.

faldor wrote:

Then when something good happens they'll be excited for a few days and return to the doom and gloom soon after.  Whatever floats your boat I guess.

This I agree with. I don't understand how some of these fans, throw the bullshit out the window, just because some guy comes by and chats (another thing he's 10 fuckin' years behind the world in). Everyone gave him credit and said "cool move". But that doesn't mean we sit back and say "wow GN'R, what a good move. A smart band for the fans, that has always provided their fans with the right information and respect, and really made them feel apart of the whole operation". No, it's still a clusterfuck. Nothing changes.

So with that, I agree. Some fans, not all, as soon as they get some potential "good news" (maybe) and an interview, they drop to their knees and gap their mouth open. If Axl does something cool (Rock Band), then I say so. But the doom & gloom for GN'R began, the day - 21 - left, and the shocking thing, is I feel like a dumbass, because for a decade I thought, nope, it'll go on, it'll grow, it'll move on, and I remember people then saying "GN'R is dead", and thinking, "give it a chance". I did. It's off the scales on the blows-a-meter.

The sad thing of it all? Chinese Democracy is better than the Use Your Illusion's and nobody gives a fuck.

robin67
 Rep: 7 

robin67 wrote:

the ball was dropped on the album cause axl didn't do advanced promotion for the album on the eve of its release or months before

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Axlin, first off you guys have been saying the same thing for YEARS.  I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but its true. I've been hearing it from the same people all the time, over and over. If we went by you guys the band should have ended in 2002, the album should have never come out and the reunion should have happened in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007...

As for drinking the kool aide and holding ankles... My post was about him not saying anything to the fans. He has always kept everyone outside his circle in the dark and always will. Which is why I said he does what he wants... I wasn't stating that as a good thing, or something to admire... But take it how you want. My point remains, he does not care what the consequences are. He's going to do what he wants. And he's probably very content right now about the shape of the band.

I call it a band. And you're right, this argument is a dead horse and is only relevant for the most jaded fans, so beat away. I'm not getting pulled into it. Same old shit, dude.

You've been saying the ship has sunk, not sinking, for years, only to be proved wrong again and again. I don't see why now is any different.

My theory on why rehearsels stopped:  Plans fell through. Wow, I now how far fetched that sounds, because it doesn't mean the end of everything as we know it, but it could be the case.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

So with that, I agree. Some fans, not all, as soon as they get some potential "good news" (maybe) and an interview, they drop to their knees and gap their mouth open. If Axl does something cool (Rock Band), then I say so.

The problem here is that whatever a shred of good news comes out , it is automatically followed up by MONTHS of inactivity, thereby rendering whatever positive news there was useless.  Haven't they been "planning" this tour since at least late last year since CD dropped?  I just realized the other day that the mythical 2009 Chinese Democracy tour has become the new CD.  Think about it there are vague rumors about it happening.  Band members think it'll happen soon.  You have people calculating on when is the last day the band can announce it happening in order for it to happen within a specified time period. 

I'm beginning to think that maybe Axl isn't as interested in creating music as the fans are in listening to it.  I just don't think it's a defining part of his life anymore.  You know what though, that's totally fine with me if he's done with music.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Axlin, first off you guys have been saying the same thing for YEARS.  I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but its true. I've been hearing it from the same people all the time, over and over. If we went by you guys the band should have ended in 2002, the album should have never come out and the reunion should have happened in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007...

As for drinking the kool aide and holding ankles... My post was about him not saying anything to the fans. He has always kept everyone outside his circle in the dark and always will. Which is why I said he does what he wants... I wasn't stating that as a good thing, or something to admire... But take it how you want. My point remains, he does not care what the consequences are. He's going to do what he wants. And he's probably very content right now about the shape of the band.

I call it a band. And you're right, this argument is a dead horse and is only relevant for the most jaded fans, so beat away. I'm not getting pulled into it. Same old shit, dude.

You've been saying the ship has sunk, not sinking, for years, only to be proved wrong again and again. I don't see why now is any different.

My theory on why rehearsels stopped:  Plans fell through. Wow, I now how far fetched that sounds, because it doesn't mean the end of everything as we know it, but it could be the case.

Huh? I've been saying the band is dead for years? 10

I was the first guy out there backing that mother fucker up, and defending his ass against Slashites for YEARS. Supporting him and the idea of a new GN'R, and Chinese Democracy. Yeah - ME.

2006 is actually when the tide turned, and if you look back, it makes sense. I was just about to believe the band might not work out in 2005 when it was so dead, but 2006 came, and there was a European tour and then a North America one, and Axl was on TV and radio talking about the album is definitely coming out, etc.

I was pumped as hell. I think it was finally happening. I even bought the whole "13 Tuesdays" shit from Merck, hook, line & sinker. I was a sucker once too.

Then that little Press Release came along that explained it all (poorly), there would be no album this year, Merck is fired, and they were cancelling all remaining dates, to return to the studio to finish CD, and have it out by March 6, 2007... then I read that "this is not a guarantee, not a promise..." line. And that's when I knew. It's not coming out (at least then, in that present then). Then the whole Japan & Australia thing happened like an afterthought like nothing had ever happened... then again, nothing.

For me, honest to God, that was the tide that turned. That's when it soured. So in actuality, I haven't been proven wrong. I called it a sinking ship in 2007, and I thought that the album's release in Nov. 2008, was definitive proof of proving me WRONG. In fact, it only cemented me further in my belief that nothing was happening, nor was it going to happen.

Oh, and by the way, this board hasn't even been here for years, and although i've lurked, just to let you know, I used to be a HTGTH nutswinger that swore up and down about how this was a band, and thought HTGTH was loaded with fans that "got it", and that Axl was going to take back the world. Things changed. Axl fucked up - ALOT. It eventually just wore away at my tolarance. I barely even believe the guy anymore, even more so after those Slash interviews. He sounds like a bitter man, that hates his bandmates, his fans, and the music business.

He really seems like a guy that just wants out - again.

Board footer