You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Axl's fired and re hired Azoff 3 times in last 5 weeks!

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

I don't know what to tell you, Axlin. I was 8 years old when I got into GNR - When AFD came out. I liked them from the moment I saw Jungle the first time. I went through the UYI and TSI? (which I like btw) but it didn't break my heart Slash wasn't in the band anymore. I never saw Slash as a Jimmy Page type figure. And I never put GNR on the same level as Zeppelin or The Stones, either. I really followed GNR for Axl. Slash was cool, but wasn't the main reason I liked the band. That band changed, to me anyway, the moment Izzy wasn't in the band. So, I was pretty accepting of GNR as the Axl Rose show.  And there was a lot I didn't like about UYI and I wasn't real hyped about a future, imo, "throw back" classic rock type album. Plus, my tastes have always been geared towards Alternative Rock, that might have something to do with it, too. Again, it's a matter of what appeals to you. I'm not slamming anyone who sees things totally different than I do, and prefers it the other way around. 

It just comes down to me prefering Robin, Bucket, Tommy and Brain over an album with the old guys. The music I thought I'd get from them is what I got. That's why I still follow this band and I prefer all the "new-line up" recordings over a lost "old-line up" album (I'd still be interested in hearing it though, and I'm not saying its meaningless)... The new music touches me more as a whole than 'a some of its parts', like UYI. I love the feel and sound of the new band. That doesn't change my feelings for AFD, which I still love. But I know I would have never got another AFD from the old-line up. The direction they were heading was something I wasn't interested in. It might not be totally fair, but going by VR and SSP I'm pretty sure I was right.

Interesting, it certainly says alot. I was 7 when UYI came out, and fell in love that that era of GN'R. Ran out, got my mother to get me AFD, loved it, then immediately got her to get me UYI1. UYI2 & Lies came a little later down the road. The irony of all, is it was the You Could Be Mine video (UYI2) that got me into Guns in the first place, me being a Terminator fan.

So I connected with that era. I also was into bands like Nirvana & Alice In Chains (grunge is a form of alt. rock).

Yet I still find the 87-93 era to be - GN'R. The problem for me with the new era, was never the music. It's that there were 'great pieces', but never a whole. I understand that Axl was attempting a reinvention for GN'R, something I thought was very possible with Buckethead on board, but he squandared it.

To me the definitive GN'R is that 1991 band, which makes sense - it was what I was first exposed to...

Axl
Slash
Izzy
Duff
Matt
Dizzy

That's my GN'R.

I enjoyed people like Buckethead, and Tommy Stinson and Chris Pitman coming into the fold, but like I said, they are 'pieces'. None of their lineups to me was ever a definitive version, although I will say that 2001-02 version was the closest the band ever was, except for the fact Axl was all off, and 2006-07 was a stronger Axl. Once again, all the pieces were never quite there.

I enjoyed CD, and I think Axl actually made a SMART move, by combining all the strongest elements of all era's of the new to make up CD. Obviously there's some nit picks here and there, like Bucket & Robin's more guitar-driven Street of Dreams should've stayed intact, and This I Love should've been more orchestra-led and the guitar backing it.

I think anyone who thinks old GN'R should've done a 4th album of original material, would've been sorely disappointed. You'd of probably got Loaded Chinese Ju Ju Snakepit, and that would've been the 4th album. And frankly, an album made up of the strongest pieces of all those solo efforts, would've probably been a great album, but it would've been another clusterfucked downgrade as the band's albums got weaker and weaker from AFD.

But still with that said, I come from kind of the same background as you with the Guns fancard, and even still - I prefer old to new. I don't understand, even now with what you said, how anyone could prefer new to old.

But to each his own, and honestly I respect the hell out of someone willing to make a stand on the CD era. "Ju got sum balls friend". 22

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

See, I didn't get into GN'R first time around. I was about 11 or 12 when UYI hit, and I just thought the lead singer was a shrieking twat; I much preferred Queen. And then the Freddie Mercury tribute concert happened, and I realised the shrieking twat was a raving Queen fan, and that he might be an okay guy after all. But I really got into them in about 1999, when Oh My God came out, and there was a lot of excitement about the new band - I was just intrigued by the concept of reinventing a band from the ground up, and sought out some of the old stuff to reappraise the shrieking twat. Found Civil War, was absolutely hooked, realised the shrieking twat was actually a bloody good singer/songwriter, and got properly excited when the Rio gig happened and we started hearing the new songs.

So really, I'm a fan of the new band in all its permutations. I think they missed a trick in 2002 - if Axl had trained up and got to his 2006-8 level of fitness and vocal ability in 2002, and released the album, Chinese Democracy would've been HUGE. But I don't begrudge the wait and the lineup changes, 'cause Bumblefoot improved every track with his contributions.

I hope Axl pulls it together and gets touring and recording again; I'm intrigued by what DJ can bring to the band, though I'm a proper Finck fanboy and feel he was a bit short-changed.

And I hope Velvet Revolver hook up with a singer with a decent set of pipes, so they can keep doing their thing, too - someone like Chester Bennington, who can belt out Paradise City and keep the old-school fans happy.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I was just intrigued by the concept of reinventing a band from the ground up, and sought out some of the old stuff to reappraise the shrieking twat. Found Civil War, was absolutely hooked, realised the shrieking twat was actually a bloody good singer/songwriter, and got properly excited when the Rio gig happened and we started hearing the new songs.

You summed it up just how I started going into this as well with this paragraph. Especially the thing about reinventing something big.

Board footer