You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Re: Michael Jackson Discussion

Gunslinger wrote:

Michael Jackson Poised To Make Billboard Chart History, Again

June 27, 2009 11:50 AM ET

Keith Caulfield, L.A.
Next week, Michael Jackson will once again make music history as many of his albums are poised to shake up the Billboard charts with incredible sales increases.

The impact of Jackson's passing was felt immediately in the marketplace. Industry sources report that the demand for Jackson's albums were so high, many brick and mortar retailers simply ran out of whatever Jackson stock they had on hand on Thursday (25) night.

Michael Jackson 1958-2009

The albums with the greatest sales increases -- at least on the physical side of things -- look to be his greatest hits packages "Number Ones" and "The Essential Michael Jackson" along with the expanded reissue of "Thriller." The sets, released between 2003 and 2008, were the three Jackson albums that perhaps had the most stock available in stores.

In the digital realm, where the supply problem doesn't exist, Jackson's songs and albums swarmed the top of the constantly-updating best sellers lists in both the iTunes' and Amazon's online music stores. At one point on Friday in the iTunes Store, nine out of the top 10-selling albums and 40 of the top 100-selling songs were by Jackson.

The three aforementioned albums, along with Jackson's classic studio sets "Off the Wall," "Bad" and "Dangerous" all will likely zoom into the upper region of Billboard's Top Pop Catalog Albums chart next week. Initial reports of Jackson's album sales from Thursday alone indicate that one of his albums -- possibly "Number Ones" -- will easily fly to No. 1 on the chart next week. Last week, the set -- which also was his top-selling album of the week -- was at No. 20 on the Catalog chart with 4,000 sold.

To compare, last week's No. 1 on the Catalog chart was TobyMac's "Portable Sounds" with 9,000 copies sold. Sources say that at least one of Jackson's albums sold more than double that amount just on Thursday.

link: http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/mic … 8531.story

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

If record stores still existed like they used to, some of his albums would have each went platinum this week.

Hopefully this hunger for Jackson material shows the labels how bad they fucked up.

Those Itunes chart statistics are insane and will never be repeated again.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I really think he was the bioggest celebrity on the  planet even though he was such a  freak show. I understand his influence on pop music but honestly I don't get the appeal all that much and never have. I've always been amazed by his legion of fans when in all honesty I don't know a single person who really cares one way or the other about him, and have yet to meet anyone who is paticularly shocked by his death.  No doubt his sales will sky rocket.  All I can say is I've never owned an MJ album and his death definately won't change that.  It is interesting though to see the reaction to all this.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

One thing about his music that I'm sure alot will disagree with me on,  is it all sounds dated. As great as it was for the moment it hasnt stood the test of time in my opinion. It sounds like 80's pop fluff. Better than alot of the 80's fluff? Sure maybe but honestly his music to me is far from timeless the way The Beatles, Elvis and yes even Gn'R and U2's music sound.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:

One thing about his music that I'm sure alot will disagree with me on,  is it all sounds dated. As great as it was for the moment it hasnt stood the test of time in my opinion. It sounds like 80's pop fluff. Better than alot of the 80's fluff? Sure maybe but honestly his music to me is far from timeless the way The Beatles, Elvis and yes even Gn'R and U2's music sound.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

thriller does sound dated...but to me thats the beauty of it...though i was just a young'un when that came out, it was my first album i had ever gotten ... ever ... bad is pretty classic cheese too, but thriller just has a soft spot to me...feel good music if you will

James

James wrote:

Its definitely dated, but like neemo said, its a huge part of the appeal. It was the soundtrack for the entire planet during the 80s. Decades from now when the generation that grew up on him is gone is when people will know if it stands the test of time.

The vids added to the cheese. That Bad video is vomit inducing. He thinks he's "bad"? Really? Liberace walking through downtown Compton would have been more intimidating.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Its definitely dated, but like neemo said, its a huge part of the appeal. It was the soundtrack for the entire planet during the 80s. Decades from now when the generation that grew up on him is gone is when people will know if it stands the test of time.

The vids added to the cheese. That Bad video is vomit inducing. He thinks he's "bad"? Really? Liberace walking through downtown Compton would have been more intimidating.

LOL.

But the thing about "dated" music is that it applies to pretty much every artist. Elvis' music is very dated, some of U2's stuff is very dated, most of GNR's stuff is very dated. Some of the Beatles' stuff (their bubble gum pop crap from the early 60's) is very dated too.

James

James wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

LOL.

But the thing about "dated" music is that it applies to pretty much every artist. Elvis' music is very dated, some of U2's stuff is very dated, most of GNR's stuff is very dated. Some of the Beatles' stuff (their bubble gum pop crap from the early 60's) is very dated too.

Oh I agree. Music is very much a product of the culture it is produced in. Its basically a snapshot of said culture that will live on forever. Some 'dates' differently than others though. AFD sounds like it could be released today and top the charts in the current musical climate, yet an album like Girl You Know It's True only has its place in late 80s pop culture.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

LOL.

Oh I agree. Music is very much a product of the culture it is produced in. Its basically a snapshot of said culture that will live on forever. Some 'dates' differently than others though. AFD sounds like it could be released today and top the charts in the current musical climate, yet an album like Girl You Know It's True only has its place in late 80s pop culture.

Well Appetite kicks ass because it's one of the best mixtures of kickass punk vibes thrown into a blender with classic hard rock in the vein of AC/DC, Aerosmith (the early years before they sold out), and the Stones. Out of the blender comes a perfect mixture of energy. The videos for the songs are VERY dated to the 1980's though and so is the band's schtick (the drug excess, Axl's headband, Slash's tophat, the bad boy wannabe's, etc.).

Board footer