You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Michael Jackson Discussion

tejastech08 wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

The Beatles are the most influential band in rock history period.  I've always said that when teaching music classes in school, that students should be give the entire Beatles catalogue to listen to.  With that said MJ is a close second to influence as many artists.  I'd probly place him equal to the Beatles but I blame MJ for giving us crap like Timberlake.  I said in another thread that it was unbelievable that when asked what MJ's best album is, 4 were named and the four of them were all defendable.  Few artists can have that merit.  As a matter of fact The Beatles may be the only other ones that can have as many albums to be claimed as their best and have it defendable.  And nobody can take that away from MJ wether you like him or not.  One of the last icons in music passed away and we may have only one left in McCartney maybe two.  I named Jagger but take him away and replace him by Brian Wilson.  There will never be another one like MJ nor the Beatles.

Pink Floyd is another artist that you could name 4 albums and every one of them is defendable as their best work. Zeppelin as well.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

The Beatles are the most influential band in rock history period.  I've always said that when teaching music classes in school, that students should be give the entire Beatles catalogue to listen to.  With that said MJ is a close second to influence as many artists.  I'd probly place him equal to the Beatles but I blame MJ for giving us crap like Timberlake.  I said in another thread that it was unbelievable that when asked what MJ's best album is, 4 were named and the four of them were all defendable.  Few artists can have that merit.  As a matter of fact The Beatles may be the only other ones that can have as many albums to be claimed as their best and have it defendable.  And nobody can take that away from MJ wether you like him or not.  One of the last icons in music passed away and we may have only one left in McCartney maybe two.  I named Jagger but take him away and replace him by Brian Wilson.  There will never be another one like MJ nor the Beatles.

Pink Floyd is another artist that you could name 4 albums and every one of them is defendable as their best work. Zeppelin as well.

Floyd?  I ain't a heavy follower but Dark side is a pretty common mention as one of their best.  Not sure if others would be mentioned.  Maybe Wish you were here.  As fas Zeppelin goes, maybe but the really common album mentioned as their best is Zeppelin 4.  Could others be defendable?  Maybe.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

Floyd?  I ain't a heavy follower but Dark side is a pretty common mention as one of their best.  Not sure if others would be mentioned.  Maybe Wish you were here.  As fas Zeppelin goes, maybe but the really common album mentioned as their best is Zeppelin 4.  Could others be defendable?  Maybe.

Zeppelin 4 is the most popular but there are defendable arguments for I, II, III, Houses of the Holy, and Physical Graffiti. They put out 6 incredible albums. Floyd has the likes of Dark Side, The Wall, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Zeppelin 4 is the most popular but there are defendable arguments for I, II, III, Houses of the Holy, and Physical Graffiti. They put out 6 incredible albums. Floyd has the likes of Dark Side, The Wall, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

See those are all great records you named here.  I won't argue with that cause well I can't.  Can they all be named best records by Floyd or Zep?  I don't think so.  And it's a matter of opinion of course, but in Floyd's case for example, The Wall is so overrated in my opinion.  To me the songs The Wall, Hey You and Comfortably numbed are great.  But the rest of the album is average in my opinion.  Matter of fact I can't remember the last time I listened to that album in it's entirety.  Can't stand to listen to the whole damn thing.  Now I ain't Floyd's biggest fan but I do like quite a few of their records.  As for Zep.  I'll give you Houses of the Holy and Graffiti.  Again just a matter of opinion.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

See those are all great records you named here.  I won't argue with that cause well I can't.  Can they all be named best records by Floyd or Zep?  I don't think so.  And it's a matter of opinion of course, but in Floyd's case for example, The Wall is so overrated in my opinion.  To me the songs The Wall, Hey You and Comfortably numbed are great.  But the rest of the album is average in my opinion.  Matter of fact I can't remember the last time I listened to that album in it's entirety.  Can't stand to listen to the whole damn thing.  Now I ain't Floyd's biggest fan but I do like quite a few of their records.  As for Zep.  I'll give you Houses of the Holy and Graffiti.  Again just a matter of opinion.

Speaking of this topic, Metallica and U2 should be mentioned as well. Metallica's early run up to the Black Album was fucking stellar. Everything after it has been either average or mediocre. U2 has been hit or miss but they've got some great stuff. Bob Dylan also has a lot of great albums. Stevie Wonder is another one who has a number of albums that I'd consider defendable as his best work.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Speaking of this topic, Metallica and U2 should be mentioned as well. Metallica's early run up to the Black Album was fucking stellar. Everything after it has been either average or mediocre. U2 has been hit or miss but they've got some great stuff. Bob Dylan also has a lot of great albums. Stevie Wonder is another one who has a number of albums that I'd consider defendable as his best work.

Metallica!  Yeah forgot about them.  Yeah they have at least four maybe five albums that could be debatable as their best.  U2?  Bono will hate me for this but I'd say that The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are the only two defendable.  That doesn't mean the rest of their albums suck.  Just can't be mentioned as their best in my opinion.  Bob Dylan I'll leave that to madagas to judge.  I am not a big fan of Dylan so his records are not well known by me.  Stevie Wonder.  Awsome artist!  Can't deny that but more than 3 records defendable as his best?  I wouldn't think so.  You have to think here that the debate is not how many good albums an artist or band has but how many albums can be considered as the absolute best from that artist or band.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

Metallica!  Yeah forgot about them.  Yeah they have at least four maybe five albums that could be debatable as their best.  U2?  Bono will hate me for this but I'd say that The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are the only two defendable.  That doesn't mean the rest of their albums suck.  Just can't be mentioned as their best in my opinion.  Bob Dylan I'll leave that to madagas to judge.  I am not a big fan of Dylan so his records are not well known by me.  Stevie Wonder.  Awsome artist!  Can't deny that but more than 3 records defendable as his best?  I wouldn't think so.  You have to think here that the debate is not how many good albums an artist or band has but how many albums can be considered as the absolute best from that artist or band.

Stevie had a run from 1972 to 1976 that is arguably the greatest in music history by ANYONE. Music of My Mind, Talking Book, Innervisions, Fulfillingness' First Finale, and Songs in the Key of Life. 5 albums over a 4 year period that were simply stellar, and all 5 of them could be argued as his best work IMHO.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
faldor wrote:

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Janet and the Jackson brothers may tour to pay homage to Michael.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/jan … 8549.story

June 28, 2009 10:18 AM ET

Roger Friedman, The Hollywood Reporter
On the table for consideration is a Janet Jackson/Jackson Brothers tribute tour to celebrate the life of Michael Jackson, according to sources.

The proposal is either that the Jacksons fulfill some of Michael's London shows, or do a U.S. tour where they would perform his hits and theirs with him. Janet would be the star of such a show, substituting for Michael since none of the brothers would be remotely capable of being
the lead performer.

Stay tuned, as this is among many ideas to honor (exploit?) Michael takes shape.

And the word is that at least some or all of the Jacksons may turn up on tomorrow night’s BET Awards live from Los Angeles, hosted by Jamie Foxx. The appearance could be step one in showing family unity.

I caught a bit of the BET Awards, I couldn't stomach the entire thing.  But I did catch the end, Janet Jackson came out and thanked all the fans for their support.  She said the whole family wanted to be there but they were in too much pain and that she was chosen to address the crowd.  She choked up a bit at the end and said "we miss him so much".  I teared up like a little bitch at that point.  She looked damn fine too.  Still holding up quite well.

Looks like it's already up on youtube.  Here's the clip, plus a pretty solid performance of "I'll Be There" by Jamie Foxx and Ne-Yo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkY_A9Wxlt4

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Elvis was a white man playing black music and that made him somewhat more acceptable in a very repressed period of time in American culture.

So were The Rolling Stones

And without Elvis, your Beatles would've never been given the time of day. Even Lennon knew that.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Elvis was a white man playing black music and that made him somewhat more acceptable in a very repressed period of time in American culture.

So were The Rolling Stones

And without Elvis, your Beatles would've never been given the time of day. Even Lennon knew that.

Who knew Axlin08 was an Elvis fanboy? tongue1619

Board footer