You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Re: When All Is Said And Done...

Gunslinger wrote:

In light of what happened this past week (three icons gone in a flash) thoughts of mortality and what was/could have been tend to surface in my mind.

I can't help but wonder what if Michael Jackson had NAILED these 50 shows?  What if he made a "comeback album" and it had been on the scale of albums like Dangerous or Bad?  The sad reality is death is the final act on earth so those questions will never be answered.  However in the case of Michael his place in musical history is not only solidified but it is on the highest of tiers. 

This made me think more and more about Axl and Guns N Roses.  Already we ask ourselves what could have been.  So many things left the original band could have done.  Who knows what great music we would be listening to right now if they could have all worked things out? 

Then there was the great lineup Axl assembled at the beginning of the millenium.  With Buckethead the possibillities were enormous as well.  This too is now a thing of the past.

What should Axl do next to add to his legacy and further heighten the relevance of Guns N Roses for the LONG TERM?  Years from now how will he and the legendary band be remembered?  As it stands the catalogue of music is fairly small.  Should he continue on his current course or try and somehow find reconciliation with his former bandmates before age (the "old bald thief" as Stephen King calls it) makes "what if" impossible?

I'm sure weeks like this must make him question his own mortality and the legacy he will someday leave behind.

What are your thoughts on this?

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

If he wants to be at all relevant, he needs to get back with the old line up.  Even then it probably won't do anything special.    As sad as it is to say if he keeps doing what he's doing, when he dies it will merit no more than a 10 word sentence along the news ticker at the bottom of the screen on a live news report.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
CrashDiet wrote:

As sad as it is to say if he keeps doing what he's doing, when he dies it will merit no more than a 10 word sentence along the news ticker at the bottom of the screen on a live news report.

You make a sad but merited point.

One thing I would hate to see is Axl remembered for his "strangeness" rather than the music.  To me it doesn't get any better than AFD and the UYIs and I actually think CD is much better than the reception it received. 

All the strangeness surrounding Axl from the last studio album with GNR to his album Chinese Democracy hurt sales and interest in the album drastically I believe.

I still think there is a SMALL window of opportunity left however.  I just hope he seizes it no matter how unlikely.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Time is definitely ticking away. Like I mentioned in the Soundgarden thread, both Cornell and Axl have about a three or four year window left to actually be relevant and be taken seriously. Once they get into their 50s, interest goes way down and they basically become a part of the nostalgia circuit, and probably wont be too successful at that.

If Axl refuses to move forward soon(and I do mean soon) with a new incarnation of GNR, he should just stay in silent mode until the various pieces come together for a reunion.

While the comeback failed, he could easily attempt one more swing at the fences with another album in the next year or two. If that falls flat on its ass as well, then he has to accept the fact no one is interested in this line up and its time to cash in his reunion chips.

He's in a tough position. The longer he waits, the more he risks the interest in a reunion decreasing. The longer he waits, he pisses off the already established(yet frustrated) fan base that supports him in the post 87-93 era.

Sky Dog wrote:

Maybe, just maybe, Axl doesn't care about or want to be "relevant".....been there done that. Maybe, just maybe, he can't handle the attention and work that it takes to be what YOU call "relevant". The guy doesn't want it...simple as that. It would be very easy for him to get it either through a reunion or actually just going out and doing the day to day promotional stuff with his "new" band. Maybe, just maybe, he wants to live and try to be happy with himself. His Rolling Stone interview in 1992 told you everything you need to know...
"I'd like to have a little more internal peace. I'm sure everybody would."

James

James wrote:

I don't think anyone is saying he wants it. But IF he does, time is winding down on the opportunity. This isn't 1995 where he can take a huge vacation before attempting a comeback.

We already know the last thing he is is prolific, so any sort of major comeback is unlikely unless it is short term.

If we're going back to 92 comments, fast forward 10 years later when he was looking forward to proving all the nay sayers wrong and getting them used to the idea of a new GNR. He clearly had some sort of desire for a comeback, at least at that point.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

3 icons?  I got Farrah Fawcett and of course MJ who's the 3rd one?

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

3 icons?  I got Farrah Fawcett and of course MJ who's the 3rd one?

Ed McMahon

James

James wrote:

Billy Mays just died. We may be on the verge of another trifecta.

Sky Dog wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I don't think anyone is saying he wants it. But IF he does, time is winding down on the opportunity. This isn't 1995 where he can take a huge vacation before attempting a comeback.

We already know the last thing he is is prolific, so any sort of major comeback is unlikely unless it is short term.

If we're going back to 92 comments, fast forward 10 years later when he was looking forward to proving all the nay sayers wrong and getting them used to the idea of a new GNR. He clearly had some sort of desire for a comeback, at least at that point.

He contradicts himself alot when he speaks, but his actions are actually very consistent...he has made no real effort for a true comeback and basically completely sabotaged the release of his record that he took 17 years to release. Short term long term...doesn't make a difference. He simply won't put in the effort...for whatever reason. 17

Board footer