You are not logged in. Please register or login.

st@rfucker
 Rep: 1 

Re: DJ Ashba Live Chat

st@rfucker wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I dont get why some forum dwellers can now be seen bashing Axls chats, I thought they were good banter for the most part, very interesting with more than a few revelations and a generally just lot of fun just before Christmas. I still like reading them now and again, and I wish there were more of them hmm
But I reckon its unlikely to ever happen again though if he has wasted any time reading a lot of the shit on the forums on the last 6 months. Theres a percentage of the posters I wouldnt even give the steam off my piss.

That Ashba transcript is eyewatering though, I cant read through all the jibberish and squealing. I tried just picking out his name and reading what he said, but where did he say he liked This I Love? I must have missed it.

All I take from it is he is still in the band and it would be wrong to lose hope for the future, sounds like a bigass hint that somethings going to happen.
He could have just posted something like that on his twitter and saved himself the headache of trying make sense of all that nonsense thrown at him.

I enjoyed the chats as well, while some of the questions were beyond ridiculous,it provided some info,and some insight as well as a few laughs along the way.
But the Ashba chat gave me an aneurism, it badly needed moderation and a "ban" button for the incurable droolers imo,
of course. 11

st@rfucker

st@rfucker wrote:
Olorin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I personally wish Axl was more open to sharing info, and would hire some kind of offical PR person who could address the thousands of questions people have, and that way the answers could be made public, but Axl himself wouldn't have to deal with the negativity inherent to much of the fanbase which seems to bother him. As right now it's a cycle. People don't like the way axl is quiet or what he does, so they get pissy, and the pissier the fanbase gets, the quieter the band seems to get, and the angrier the fanbase gets, and it goes on and on. Some kind of offical regular information  source could really help break that cycle. But hey...it's not my band!

They dont need to do that and Axl doesnt have to give people a minute by minute account of what happens in his life (most of it is no cunts business). But they have gunsnroses.com and its completely wasted. If that site was updated at least once a month with a little band message to the fans and some new media like,  proshot tour photos, studio photos, video interviews from on tour and in the studio, live videos - the GNR/Fan relationship would be much healthier.
Its breeds negativity the way they keep stonewalling the fans for long periods, sometimes years, at a time.

You may be right, but unfortunately the fans are fair weather friends, less than a week after the chats the whiners and doubters
were back in force throwing shit in GNRs direction.Shit slides both ways,and if anyone has read the blatant character assasination going on in some forums, I would be inclined to say fuck em,
lets watch em' squirm awhile. Sadistic? yeah,but deserved in some cases.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

People who are hardcore fans for decades are not "fair weather", regardless of what side of the fence they stand on.

What is mildly amusing about these types of situations is how some people think it has to be one of two extremes....Ashba revealing Axl's deepest, darkest secrets or cementing his mouth shut. Its like people don't follow other artists and see that a middle ground exists.

No one was expecting Ashba to leak two new GNR albums. Simple statements regarding his time in rehearsals or something of that nature isn't really too much to ask(or is it?), and its fucking hilarious that you're branded a hater/complainer for simply wanting to hear/read some info on a band you like.

Only in the GNR world.....

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Top news story on HTGTH, the "unofficial" official site....

Live Chat with DJ Ashba on July 15th

mygnr newswire....

DJ Ashba To take part in online chat on July 15

While I am not a twitter junkie, I'm pretty sure he mentioned it on there, and also recently mentioned looking forward to a GNR tour.

This was being marketed towards the GNR fanbase any way you crumble this cookie, and just because it was a pile of shit is no reason to act like it was an "anything but GNR" chat featuring Sixx AM and Beautiful Creatures guitarist DJ Ashba.

It was a clusterfuck. Period.

Actually James Ashba never promoted it as a GNR chat. He has a GNR section on his site but he as one for every band he's in and AGGES ago on his twitter he once mentioned looking forward to touring with GNR. Just because the people on HTGTH and mygnr start promoting the chat doesn't mean this was being marketed towards the GNR fanbase. HTGTH and mygnr took the chat and started marketting it towards us. Ashba himself never did any of that

Also who thinks that phonecall he got may have been from the braided one? 16

st@rfucker

st@rfucker wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

People who are hardcore fans for decades are not "fair weather", regardless of what side of the fence they stand on.

What is mildly amusing about these types of situations is how some people think it has to be one of two extremes....Ashba revealing Axl's deepest, darkest secrets or cementing his mouth shut. Its like people don't follow other artists and see that a middle ground exists.

No one was expecting Ashba to leak two new GNR albums. Simple statements regarding his time in rehearsals or something of that nature isn't really too much to ask(or is it?), and its fucking hilarious that you're branded a hater/complainer for simply wanting to hear/read some info on a band you like.

Not everyone is as ancient as you or I and haven't been fans for decades,some are just discovering GNR, look at the age plateau
on some forums, and consider some of these 16 year old instant experts actually expect GNR to act like a "normal" band?
If I were assaulted with as many innane comments as Ashba was
I'd be thoroughly and absolutely disgusted and a bit disillusioned.
No, It's not abnormal to crave info about a band, it's a bit insane to demand it imo. And I'll mention again how shiny and happy the boards got immediately following the dec. chats, but that shine erroded rather rapidly in some places.
Maybe that shitslinging that followed not long after closed some lines of communication.
And Ashba didn't lose any fans by participating in the melee'-He just didn't give much information out,other than yes-he is in GNR, and that he writes profusely, Good news so far.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
st@rfucker wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Not everyone is as ancient as you or I and haven't been fans for decades,some are just discovering GNR, look at the age plateau
on some forums, and consider some of these 16 year old instant experts actually expect GNR to act like a "normal" band?
If I were assaulted with as many innane comments as Ashba was
I'd be thoroughly and absolutely disgusted and a bit disillusioned.
No, It's not abnormal to crave info about a band, it's a bit insane to demand it imo. And I'll mention again how shiny and happy the boards got immediately following the dec. chats, but that shine erroded rather rapidly in some places.
Maybe that shitslinging that followed not long after closed some lines of communication.
And Ashba didn't lose any fans by participating in the melee'-He just didn't give much information out,other than yes-he is in GNR, and that he writes profusely, Good news so far.

A little goes a long ways.....

Had Axl followed through with something after those chats, I don't think the cloud of negativity would have resurfaced so soon. Example, he says "a week or so" for the Better video. It gets released. Anyone complaining under those circumstances would have been complaining just for the sake of complaining.

After the video, maybe a limited amount of tour dates. Hit a few major cities in the U.S., maybe a limited run in South America.

None of this requires what is commonly referred to as "attention whoring". It would simply be Axl/GNR doing what artists do.

Instead we get silence, and silence breeds contempt. Axl's own hardcore base wasn't even willing to push those two singles up the charts, and neither came close to cracking the Itunes Top 100, and even shit like a deep album cut from a 1980s Heart album has cracked that chart.

The road goes both ways. Relationships between artists and fans exist on a very fine line, and thats not including the dysfunction in this situation. I think all GNR fans(well, the hardcores) are willing to support the band 100%, even those who "complain". Everyone at these sites could have joined forces and propped CD and/or Better up on that Itunes chart, which literally could have been the catalyst for the "second wind". It didn't happen. Why? Was it Beta informing fans that they weren't fans, Axl's nonchalant approach not just to the record but the singles themselves, or the can of cancerous worms with Slash's name on it?

It is obviously Axl's choice whether or not he wants to stay out of the limelight or swing for the fences one more time. Whatever he decides to do, he needs to aim for more consistency. Letting the hangers on say we're not fans and then literally the next minute sending out myspace bulletins begging people to buy it simply wont cut the mustard in today's music culture. Its hypocritical, a huge turn off, causes casuals to walk away, and your album/singles get laughed off the charts.

I don't care how many copies this sold in Timbuktu, it sank like the Titanic and I think the approach to it had just as much to do with it if not more than the actual material itself.

As far as the younger generation of fans go, they grew up on the Chinese Democracy era. You cant expect sunshine and lollipops coming from their direction, and Axl, GNR, and UMG should be thanking their lucky stars that anyone in that age demographic even bought it.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

That chat was the funniest shit Ive read in ages.  DJ sounds like he`s watched a little too much sesame street.
Good look to the guy in his new adventure.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Just read some of the transcript.

Looks like he is still in GNR, even though I never doubted that.

I only read the GNR parts. He seems like a nice guy, but either he was told not to say anything (which is what I think) or he's scared to step on anyones toes.

Not horrible. He did answer that he's still in GNR which a lot of people around here were swearing up and down that he was out.

Don't know what else anyone could have expected. Realistically, anyway.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:

sometimes i wonder if they have something in their contract that stops them from giving out info? and what does that specific clause says? will they get sued for millions? i mean, couldn't soemone get into gnr, rehearse with them, see what's up and then just start spilling out info to the world? it'd be funny as hell 16

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I think a lot of it is genuine respect for Axls privacy, and as for mentioning upcoming plans, I think veterans like Dizzy and Tommy might just advise the new recruits not to commit cause nothing goes smoothly and you end up with egg on your face. Years ago Tommy and Dizzy specifically were always telling fans that the release was close and there was just a few things left to do, but it never ever materialised. If there is anything like a non disclosure agreement I would think its more to do with revealing personal stuff about Axl.

Board footer