You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: DJ Ashba Live Chat

Neemo wrote:

cool of DJ to chat with the fans, but the Axl questions were pretty bad...i never understood that if you had one question to ask someone why would you ask if axl had braids or if axl was fat? anyway to each their own i suppose

not surprising we didnt get any new info, but you could ho[pe that someoen woulda asked how he liked playing with the gnr guys, or if they were full rehearsals, or whether if he was just taking robins parts or did they re-divvy up the guitar parts...there is a million gnr questions they coulda asked without asking him to divulge important or secret info

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

A little goes a long ways.....

Had Axl followed through with something after those chats, I don't think the cloud of negativity would have resurfaced so soon. Example, he says "a week or so" for the Better video. It gets released. Anyone complaining under those circumstances would have been complaining just for the sake of complaining.

After the video, maybe a limited amount of tour dates. Hit a few major cities in the U.S., maybe a limited run in South America.

None of this requires what is commonly referred to as "attention whoring". It would simply be Axl/GNR doing what artists do.

Instead we get silence, and silence breeds contempt. Axl's own hardcore base wasn't even willing to push those two singles up the charts, and neither came close to cracking the Itunes Top 100, and even shit like a deep album cut from a 1980s Heart album has cracked that chart.

The road goes both ways. Relationships between artists and fans exist on a very fine line, and thats not including the dysfunction in this situation. I think all GNR fans(well, the hardcores) are willing to support the band 100%, even those who "complain". Everyone at these sites could have joined forces and propped CD and/or Better up on that Itunes chart, which literally could have been the catalyst for the "second wind". It didn't happen. Why? Was it Beta informing fans that they weren't fans, Axl's nonchalant approach not just to the record but the singles themselves, or the can of cancerous worms with Slash's name on it?

It is obviously Axl's choice whether or not he wants to stay out of the limelight or swing for the fences one more time. Whatever he decides to do, he needs to aim for more consistency. Letting the hangers on say we're not fans and then literally the next minute sending out myspace bulletins begging people to buy it simply wont cut the mustard in today's music culture. Its hypocritical, a huge turn off, causes casuals to walk away, and your album/singles get laughed off the charts.

I don't care how many copies this sold in Timbuktu, it sank like the Titanic and I think the approach to it had just as much to do with it if not more than the actual material itself.

As far as the younger generation of fans go, they grew up on the Chinese Democracy era. You cant expect sunshine and lollipops coming from their direction, and Axl, GNR, and UMG should be thanking their lucky stars that anyone in that age demographic even bought it.

Well stated!
I cant fathom why they never just posted a simple update on the website saying plans for the Better video had hit a snag and it wouldnt be coming. The ensuing silence was much worse for fan moral.

But please dont take Timbuktu's name in vain man, they are the wave of the future 5

st@rfucker
 Rep: 1 

st@rfucker wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
st@rfucker wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

People who are hardcore fans for decades are not "fair weather", regardless of what side of the fence they stand on.

What is mildly amusing about these types of situations is how some people think it has to be one of two extremes....Ashba revealing Axl's deepest, darkest secrets or cementing his mouth shut. Its like people don't follow other artists and see that a middle ground exists.

No one was expecting Ashba to leak two new GNR albums. Simple statements regarding his time in rehearsals or something of that nature isn't really too much to ask(or is it?), and its fucking hilarious that you're branded a hater/complainer for simply wanting to hear/read some info on a band you like.

Only in the GNR world.....

Not everyone is as ancient as you or I and haven't been fans for decades,some are just discovering GNR, look at the age plateau
on some forums, and consider some of these 16 year old instant experts actually expect GNR to act like a "normal" band?
If I were assaulted with as many innane comments as Ashba was
I'd be thoroughly and absolutely disgusted and a bit disillusioned.
No, It's not abnormal to crave info about a band, it's a bit insane to demand it imo. And I'll mention again how shiny and happy the boards got immediately following the dec. chats, but that shine erroded rather rapidly in some places.
Maybe that shitslinging that followed not long after closed some lines of communication.
And Ashba didn't lose any fans by participating in the melee'-He just didn't give much information out,other than yes-he is in GNR, and that he writes profusely, Good news so far.

A little goes a long ways.....

Had Axl followed through with something after those chats, I don't think the cloud of negativity would have resurfaced so soon. Example, he says "a week or so" for the Better video. It gets released. Anyone complaining under those circumstances would have been complaining just for the sake of complaining.

After the video, maybe a limited amount of tour dates. Hit a few major cities in the U.S., maybe a limited run in South America.

None of this requires what is commonly referred to as "attention whoring". It would simply be Axl/GNR doing what artists do.

Instead we get silence, and silence breeds contempt. Axl's own hardcore base wasn't even willing to push those two singles up the charts, and neither came close to cracking the Itunes Top 100, and even shit like a deep album cut from a 1980s Heart album has cracked that chart.

The road goes both ways. Relationships between artists and fans exist on a very fine line, and thats not including the dysfunction in this situation. I think all GNR fans(well, the hardcores) are willing to support the band 100%, even those who "complain". Everyone at these sites could have joined forces and propped CD and/or Better up on that Itunes chart, which literally could have been the catalyst for the "second wind". It didn't happen. Why? Was it Beta informing fans that they weren't fans, Axl's nonchalant approach not just to the record but the singles themselves, or the can of cancerous worms with Slash's name on it?

It is obviously Axl's choice whether or not he wants to stay out of the limelight or swing for the fences one more time. Whatever he decides to do, he needs to aim for more consistency. Letting the hangers on say we're not fans and then literally the next minute sending out myspace bulletins begging people to buy it simply wont cut the mustard in today's music culture. Its hypocritical, a huge turn off, causes casuals to walk away, and your album/singles get laughed off the charts.

I don't care how many copies this sold in Timbuktu, it sank like the Titanic and I think the approach to it had just as much to do with it if not more than the actual material itself.

As far as the younger generation of fans go, they grew up on the Chinese Democracy era. You cant expect sunshine and lollipops coming from their direction, and Axl, GNR, and UMG should be thanking their lucky stars that anyone in that age demographic even bought it.

I don't think the fat lady has been invited to sing concerning CD,
There was obviously a mix-up of unknown complications on the "better" vid, maybe it was a bit too fincked-up to some opinions.
It obviously included live clips ie: the red bicycle mention.
A week or so, turned into so, and I personally don't care how high
it climbed on Itunes, or billboard-I know I like it,and I don't have to justify that by sales or chart positions. It was a bit rushed imo to have only one cover and a fucked up booklet,not helpful.Nor were the super-fantastic best buy cardboard massive displays that towered above everything in the store,and the accompanying merchandise available. Best buy took care of a debt,but in a shoddy way,and UMG didn't seem that eager to support the effort,I realize the industry is changing,but imo Interscope treated GNRs like red headed stepchildren (no pun) refusing the simple backing they throw at the flavor de jour.
As for the interviews it was past time to set the record straight,and present the other side of the coin. A cancer grows out of proportion and contaminates what it touches,while it attempts to take over an organism,that is a pretty apt description imo.
Now back to the Ashba chat, I see it more as a meet n' greet more than an actual moderated chat,and the loonies were out in number,
I almost went blind reading that crazy convo of colorful crapola.
So,Ashba is in the band-and he writes a lot that was enough for me, even if his choke chain was tugged by a phone big_smile
He is a avid Tim Burton fan, and I am as well, so for now all is well
in my curiousity chamber. When Official announcements are made
I'll be ecstatic,until then I'm happy and chillaxing with CD. 5

st@rfucker
 Rep: 1 

st@rfucker wrote:
supaplex wrote:

sometimes i wonder if they have something in their contract that stops them from giving out info? and what does that specific clause says? will they get sued for millions? i mean, couldn't soemone get into gnr, rehearse with them, see what's up and then just start spilling out info to the world? it'd be funny as hell 16

and costly,confidentialty clauses are not the big fat guy that comes at xmas. wink

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
st@rfucker wrote:

I don't think the fat lady has been invited to sing concerning CD,

While I may sound like Mr. Doom and Gloom, from day one I have said this album could easily have a second wind. All it takes is one song at the right time on the right soundtrack or video game, and this album is back on pop culture's radar whether Axl is on TV promoting it or not. MIA shot up to stardom during her most inactive phase due to her record getting a second wind from a song being on a movie trailer. Not even a soundtrack, just the commercial.

CD could easily have a similar destiny around the corner. Wouldn't bet any money on it, but I wouldn't bet against it either.

I don't have to justify that by sales or chart positions.

No one is asking you(or anyone) to. Not sure why this is brought up when album sales are mentioned. I think Santigold's debut was the best album of 2008, yet it sold far less than Chinese Democracy. I obviously don't need its chart position(or lack thereof) to sway my opinion.

One of my favorite albums this year is Lily Allen's latest record, which is suffering a Chinese Democracy type descent from the charts. If I was gonna let charts tell me what to like, I would have Lady Gaga on constant rotation instead.

I think everyone here is intelligent enough to not need charts to tell them to like or dislike something, regardless of what music they listen to.

I'll assume you are a Buckethead fan, and he only sells a handful of records, yet creates some of the most incredible music you will ever hear. Just because the world at large misses out on it doesn't make the quality less to those of us who do enjoy it.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
mygnrsucks wrote:
faldor wrote:

He posted on his twitter page which is private by the way.

I don't know much about twitter, but would it really be private if he's using it to promote and broadcast his upcoming chats? And didn't he use the GnR name in it? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I just wanna say that just because I strongly disagree about this, I don't in any way want you to think that I'm disrespecting you or that I want this to devolve into some lame flame war.

As far as I can tell, his twitter and facebook, not sure about myspace are private.  Meaning you have to be accepted to view the pages.  So not everyone can go on there and read what he's up to.  I was in the chat for some time and I can tell you that he has a LOT of fans that could care less about GNR, they're all of the female variety and prefer SixxAM, Motley Crue, etc.  I'm sure once they HEAR DJ play some GNR they'll be on board, but not yet. 

But anyway, him posting he's gonna chat on his twitter page is geared towards HIS FANS, not GNR fans.  Like I said before and Axl S eloquently described HE never promoted this as a GNR event.  To my knowledge HE didn't ask the forums or blabbermouth to announce that he was having a chat and to have all GNR fans come and ask him ridiculous questions.  They were simply promoting the fact that he was having a chat and thought some people might wanna take part.  And as many people predicted, a few GNR fans who participated acted inappropriately.

I'd like to say too, that his "dodging" the GNR questions is a little blown out of proportion.  When I say the chat was about the most confusing thing to follow, that would be an understatement.  You had to be there to understand.  You're in a virtual room in the mansion, 30 people to a room and there's like 30 rooms altogether.  DJ went from room to room, spending about 20 minutes or so in each room but you had no idea when he was going to leave or what room he was going to next.  But when he did come into a room all his crazed female fans would try to surround him with their virtual characters, which I didn't understand.  What does that do for them?  Do they brag to their friends that they were standing next to "virtual" DJ during the chat? 

But anyway, everyone was talking at once.  There were a million comments being made and questions asked at the same time.  He was trying to hold conversations and answer some of the questions all at once.  He missed PLENTY of non-GNR questions as well.  But I didn't hear the 16 year old girls complaining that he didn't answer their questions about the movie "Twilight", just GNR fans complaining about him not answering if Axl had gotten fat and such.

This wasn't geared as a GNR chat, no matter how much people want to believe or speculate.  It was a nice gesture made by DJ to spend time with HIS FANS.  Everyone in the chat, save for a few disgruntled GNR fans, were extremely appreciative.  He was very courteous, thanked everyone for coming, was polite, said he loved and appreciated all the GNR fans, even though many in there were doing their best to drive him away.  And he DID answer questions about GNR, just not the groundbreaking questions that some people for some strange reason thought he would.  He didn't dodge the subject completely.  He wasn't gonna speak for Axl or band management, but he spoke about his time in the band and the music.  He could've answered more but as I said before, the place was so chaotic, I'm surprised he stuck around as long as he did.

Anyway, I thougt it was a really nice gesture by DJ and think he's taking some completely unnecessary flak today.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I dont get why some forum dwellers can now be seen bashing Axls chats, I thought they were good banter for the most part, very interesting with more than a few revelations and a generally just lot of fun just before Christmas. I still like reading them now and again, and I wish there were more of them hmm
But I reckon its unlikely to ever happen again though if he has wasted any time reading a lot of the shit on the forums on the last 6 months. Theres a percentage of the posters I wouldnt even give the steam off my piss.

That Ashba transcript is eyewatering though, I cant read through all the jibberish and squealing. I tried just picking out his name and reading what he said, but where did he say he liked This I Love? I must have missed it.

All I take from it is he is still in the band and it would be wrong to lose hope for the future, sounds like a bigass hint that somethings going to happen.
He could have just posted something like that on his twitter and saved himself the headache of trying make sense of all that nonsense thrown at him.

I asked him if he had a favorite song on Chinese Democracy and he answered "I love This I Love".  Then I asked him if he'd be playing the solo and he said yes.  Those are the only questions I asked of him that got answered.  As I said before it was chaotic and unorganized, which made it hard to follow.  But it was what it was, a chance for his fans to hang out and talk with him a bit.  Trust me, it wasn't a normal "chat".  He wasn't fielding questions one by one.  MANY questions went unanswered because they were coming rapid fire amongst people in the room talking to each other.

Not sure if this was posted here, but someone mentioned at some point about losing hope in GNR.  And he replied that it'd be a mistake to lose hope.

He sounded optimistic with that comment and saying Axl is a great guy to work with and he's formed a kick ass band with the greatest individuals.  (These aren't his words obviously but it was to that effect).

I felt overall it was positive, and I was in there.  I'm not gonna deny it could certainly be considered a waste of time.  I was in there for an hour or so and questioned many times, "what the hell am I doing here?"  But he answered what he could, GNR and non GNR.  He hung out with his fans and showed his appreciation.  Take it for what it is, let's not make this into something it was never meant to be.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

It's ridiculous that they don't say, don't know anything about 'their' 'band'. I can't understand it... is it an ultrasecret rocket science masterplan or a disfunctioning rock band? What a fuck-up...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

That's pretty exciting if he's been rehearsing "This I love" - i'd love to hear it live..especially with his touch on guitar...i wasnt sure if axl would do it cos its such an emotional song...but then he used to do estranged I guess...I cant wait to hear from this new line up.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer