You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: DJ Ashba Live Chat

faldor wrote:
Gagarin wrote:

The thing is that the GNR fans made the chat horsecrap. So. When you point fingers there's 3 pointing back at you and one to God. Or something

Exactly, the people who predicted GNR fans would act like imbeciles were spot on.  I'd suggest the next time DJ runs one of these he has the ability to kick people out.  I know he probably wouldn't want to look like an ass, but some people were just ridiculous on there.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Shit like "Is Axl fat?" is pointless and just a complete waste of space and shouldn't have even been answered.

\

disagree. when the entire chat is a surefire waste of time, trolling around is the best we can hope for. "Pushing the dipshits aside" and asking sensible questions would get nothing but "sorry, gotta ask the cornrowed one."

and they pretend that this is a band.

personally, even holding this chat is a mockery of GnR and the fanbase, so maybe taking the piss is a good way to hold a mirror up to it.

emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit wrote:
faldor wrote:
Gagarin wrote:

The thing is that the GNR fans made the chat horsecrap. So. When you point fingers there's 3 pointing back at you and one to God. Or something

Exactly, the people who predicted GNR fans would act like imbeciles were spot on.  I'd suggest the next time DJ runs one of these he has the ability to kick people out.  I know he probably wouldn't want to look like an ass, but some people were just ridiculous on there.

Irony alert #2.

Holding the chat in the first place and then stonewalling fans made him look like an ass.

faldor

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Of course we knew nothing was gonna happen. First you said it wasn't being marketed as a GNR chat, then when shown it was, say it wasn't false advertising.

If he wants to do something for HIS fans, then go right ahead. Stop using the GNR name to reap its benefits. Take a page out of Bucket's playbook.

Had no idea you participated. You should have tried to push the dipshits aside and asked some sensible questions. Its possible to ask questions without going for the big enchiladas. Shit like "Is Axl fat?" is pointless and just a complete waste of space and shouldn't have even been answered.

Are sections of transcript missing? Apparently he mentioned Bucket but I didn't see it. Either I'm too stoned or the whole thing wasn't posted on mygnr.

When did HE use GNR's name?  I never saw that.  I actually read on HTGTH that it was being promoted through SixxAM, not GNR (though I never saw any proof of that).  He wasn't the one who posted it on the GNR forums.  He posted on his twitter page which is private by the way.

I was in there for some of it, but didn't get much in there.  It was a madhouse and there were 25 teenage girls giggling and saying how much they loved him.  Then 3 or 4 GNR fans asking questions repeatedly that weren't getting answered anytime soon.

faldor

faldor wrote:
mygnrsucks wrote:
faldor wrote:
Gagarin wrote:

Irony alert #2.

Holding the chat in the first place and then stonewalling fans made him look like an ass.

Maybe in your eyes, but I can assure you he didn't LOSE any fans tonight.

emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit wrote:
faldor wrote:

He posted on his twitter page which is private by the way.

I don't know much about twitter, but would it really be private if he's using it to promote and broadcast his upcoming chats? And didn't he use the GnR name in it? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I just wanna say that just because I strongly disagree about this, I don't in any way want you to think that I'm disrespecting you or that I want this to devolve into some lame flame war.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
mygnrsucks wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Shit like "Is Axl fat?" is pointless and just a complete waste of space and shouldn't have even been answered.

\

disagree. when the entire chat is a surefire waste of time, trolling around is the best we can hope for. "Pushing the dipshits aside" and asking sensible questions would get nothing but "sorry, gotta ask the cornrowed one."

and they pretend that this is a band.

personally, even holding this chat is a mockery of GnR and the fanbase, so maybe taking the piss is a good way to hold a mirror up to it.

I disagree. When Axl appeared to do a couple chats, he was forced into answering some idiotic shit. He was even asked about Disney movies, and time spent on Disney movies could have been spent asking him about the making of Chinese Democracy.

When any member of the band does a chat, time is very limited. Piss take or no piss take, trolls need to be a light year away from the situation.

Examples....

Ron did a chat on our old site a couple years ago. He said he was willing to answer CD related questions but within reason. During this chat, he actually gave real info not yet revealed about the album(Bucket was still on the album, Ron was recording rhythm and not just leads,etc.).

Ron did a chat here last year. Said he would not be able to discuss the album and/or tour. The chat lasted hours and it was basically a group of 20 or 30 people discussing all sorts of topics.

So GNR info or no GNR info, it all depends on how the artist AND the people participating in the chat react to the situation on whether or not its even worth it.

Those two chats were polar opposites of one another, yet fans enjoyed chatting with Ron and he enjoyed the chat as well.

emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I disagree. When Axl appeared to do a couple chats, he was forced into answering some idiotic shit. He was even asked about Disney movies, and time spent on Disney movies could have been spent asking him about the making of Chinese Democracy.

Please, Axl yanked our chains just as bad as Ashba did, he was just much more verbose and incoherent. He wasn't going to answer any questions outside of why slash is such a bell end.

When any member of the band does a chat, time is very limited. Piss take or no piss take, trolls need to be a light year away from the situation.

Examples....

Ron did a chat on our old site a couple years ago. He said he was willing to answer CD related questions but within reason. During this chat, he actually gave real info not yet revealed about the album(Bucket was still on the album, Ron was recording rhythm and not just leads,etc.).

Ron did a chat here last year. Said he would not be able to discuss the album and/or tour. The chat lasted hours and it was basically a group of 20 or 30 people discussing all sorts of topics.

So GNR info or no GNR info, it all depends on how the artist AND the people participating in the chat react to the situation on whether or not its even worth it.

Those two chats were polar opposites of one another, yet fans enjoyed chatting with Ron and he enjoyed the chat as well.

Fair enough, but I don't think Ashba would've said a single interesting word, piss or no piss.

Ron is a cool guy, and I'm sure once Axl found out about one iota of ChiDem info coming out, he put an end to that -- but him coming on one of the more intimate gnr boards and telling ya'll ahead of time what was on and off limits is miles away from Ashba baiting and switching.

Had Ashba said from the get go "sorry guys, I'm not gonna have anything to say about GnR other than 'yay axl!'" then people's complaints would be close to moot.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I honestly don't see the problem.

GNR is Axl's band these days, he owns it, he controls it and for better or worse, it's up to him and ONLY him to release information.

Clearly Axl doesn't like talk about the band very often unless he has something specific he wants to say, and current band members are showing respect to the owner of the band by letting him control the flow of information.

I can see it sucks for fans but that's how GNR is run. We are NOT going to learn much new from a keys player, guitarist or anyone else currently in the band.  They will chat to fans, talk minor details, sometimes discuss their specific role - like which guitar was used or some tidbit, but if the questions relate to issues controlled by Axl and/or GNR managment, such as tour dates, future albums and so on, they are not going to respond.

And I can't for the life of me see why at this stage in the game anyone expects differently or is really all that upset about it, let alone be upset at the specific players in the band.

What do you want DJ to do? Name drop the title of every unrealsed track? Make promices of tour dates that he has no say in the booking of? It's not realistic for him or bumble to be doing anything other than what they do.

That said, there is some good news going under the radar from this chat, firstly it's pretty clear DJ is still in the band, so everyone saying he is long gone is clearly jumping the gun, secondly, and this might be me reading too much in, but there is almost an implication that he has been writing with GNR, he doesn't say it directly out of respect for way thigns are run, but it sounds like it could be possible from what he does say.

In any event, it's great news that DJ is still part of GNR, I might be the only one around here, but i'm seriously happy he's in the band!

emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit wrote:

"owning" a band is a weird concept to me, when he turns around and claims its not a solo project. Even "solo projects" often include other writers and permanent members/touring musicians. My problem with the current GnR isn't that its different or new, but that its consumer fraud to tell us that its any sort of band with members on equal footing. DJ. BBF, Tommy, etc are all just in it for the hefty paydays.

or when the rest of the band assures us that "oh no, we're a cohesive unit, everyone has a say, we're all buddies! this 'band' is the real deal!"

When your new lead guitarist has to be cryptic about the fact that they are writing music for your band, that's just new heights of ridiculousness/retardation.

Respect for the owner? How about respect for the players or for the fans?

Of course no one expected differently, but that doesn't make this any less appalling.

This "chat" was a joke, a bad idea, and in no way a show of respect to the fans or band.

Board footer