You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Q&A with Richard Fortus

James wrote:
Richard Fortus wrote:

What equipment did you use on Chinese Democracy?

Too much gear to remember or mention! I will tell you some of my favorite gear.....
AMPS-
          Divided By 13 (ftr37 and rsa23)
          My old '73 Jose-modded 100 watt Marshall  (my favorite Marshall ever, and i have a lot).  Voodoo Amps did an amazing job cloning this amp for me. They are incredibly meticulous.  So now, I essentially have 4 of these!
          Blankenship Vari-plex (even better plexi than my real plexi's!)
          Tweed Gibson Explorer (beats my tweed Deluxe every time)
          Tweed high power twin
          Park Rock Head
          Kelly Amps!  They were an off-shoot of the old Selmers in the 60's.  Even cooler than Selmers
GUITARS- (recent acquisitions)
          '68 Gibson Trini Lopez
          '73 Fender Starcaster 'white' (purchased from one of my favorite guitarists- Ted Turner of Wishbone Ash)
          New Linhof tele (my favorite sounding tele I own. Even beats my '51 Nocaster!)
          '60 slab board Strat
          '62 white Jaguar
          '71 Guild 12 string
PEDALS- oooohhhh jeez, I don't have enough time to even begin to get in to this!

Funny that its too much to remember so he just lists his favorites instead. He strums a guitar underneath Tobias buried in the mix. How is that too much to remember?

Richard Fortus wrote:

Favorite track from CD is probably Chinese, but it's hard to say and changes often.  As far as a favorite Gn'R track... It's one YOU  haven't heard yet!

Oh shut up. That tripe helps enable the hoarding mentality, and its also a stock answer by the "hired guns". We heard that exact same crap before the album was released, and now we're hearing it again. You'd think Chinese Democracy was an album full of B side rejects if you listened to this type of garbage.

So all the bands favorite songs are being saved for a second or third album? Yeah, that's just so believable. I wish Cornell had saved Outshined and Jesus Christ Pose for a future album and put She's A Politician and Girl U Want on Badmotorfinger instead. Quality would have suffered, but who cares? Better to have pie in the sky fantasies and to compromise the quality of your art.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Agreed. This type of stuff is what needs to be sent to Axl. When Axl went around talking about how all of the hype and the overselling of CD as the greatest rock record ever made, came from people who pulled stuff out of there ass....

Richard Fortus RIGHT THERE oversells the next material. So when CD II comes out, and bombs, don't blame us for too much hype. Your overhype machine came right out of your own band and camp.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Umm...I think you guys are reaching on this...all he said was it's his favourite GNR track, that doesn't in and of itself mean it has to be the best to anyone else. They just asked him which one he personally likes best and he said its one we don't know. What if that's true - maybe he likes playing jackie chan or something cos it's got a fun rhythm section - was he ment to do lie ? It's not like he said it was mind blowing, epic, afd on roids or anything like that....all he said is the song he prefers to play isn't out yet. It means nothing. Everyone in the band would have their own preference of a song and that doesnt make the song the best.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Umm...I think you guys are reaching on this...all he said was it's his favourite GNR track, that doesn't in and of itself mean it has to be the best to anyone else. They just asked him which one he personally likes best and he said its one we don't know. What if that's true - maybe he likes playing jackie chan or something cos it's got a fun rhythm section - was he ment to do lie ? It's not like he said it was mind blowing, epic, afd on roids or anything like that....all he said is the song he prefers to play isn't out yet. It means nothing. Everyone in the band would have their own preference of a song and that doesnt make the song the best.

People need to remember this. I mean as a rhythm guitarist, some of my personal favorite songs to play aren't the most complex songs I know how to play. Sometimes it's just not fun to play Overly complex Dream Theater or bucket type songs.

Board footer