You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Spice Girls comeback falls on its Headlines

James wrote:

THE Spice Girls may reap millions from concert tickets and sponsorship deals from their corporatised comeback but their new single Headlines (Friendship Never Ends) is officially a dud.

Savaged by critics, the song has failed to receive major airplay in Australia and limped to a No.20 debut on the British charts with online sales of less than 5000 copies.

While fans feared the group's diva tantrums could kill the comeback, it seems a lack of interest could do the job before their egos do.

The British supergroup's "girl power" has been eclipsed in the UK this week by the release of the debut album from X-Factor winner Leona Lewis.

Her album Spirit is on target to become the highest-selling debut in UK chart history and is currently outselling the Spice Girls' long-awaited Greatest Hits collection by four to one.

In Australia, the release of Greatest Hits last Saturday suffered a major hiccup when a limited edition "golden ticket" CD/DVD version failed to direct fans to a website to enter a competition to win double passes to see the Spice Girls.

Some record stores reported frustrated fans demanded their money back when the link contained on the "black" version CD didn't work.

The Spice Girls' local label EMI Music Australia promised fans online that retailers would swap the faulty CDs or they could receive the competition link directly from the record company.

While the reunion and imminent world tour has been one of the most anticipated comebacks in recent years, it appears the Spice Girls are struggling to reclaim their teen pop audience as the Spice Women.

They face strong competition from returns from The Eagles, who have sold more than three million copies worldwide of their new album Long Road Out Of Eden, Kylie Minogue's X and a raft of Led Zeppelin reissues. But the five women are determined to deliver a memorable career swansong, according to Mel C, who was reluctant to reform the band and has threatened to walk out before their world tour starts on December 2 at the first sign of tantrums.

"This is our final farewell. We wanted an opportunity to get together to really celebrate everything we've achieved and give a great big thank you to our fans," she said. "We just want to make this the best pop show that a British band has ever put on."

James

James wrote:

Obviously not turning out as expected. I still wish I had went to this. Spent too much on the MIA shows. Had MIA never added two extra SF dates, I would have went to the San Jose Spice show.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James

James wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Obviously not turning out as expected. I still wish I had went to this. Spent too much on the MIA shows. Had MIA never added two extra SF dates, I would have went to the San Jose Spice show.

Seriously?

I mean, I guess I honestly don't know enough about them to say otherwise. Do they put on a good show?

I've never been to a Spice Girls concert, but I used to own some show on VHS they put out years ago, and their performance of Wannabe on SNL years ago was badass and one of the all time highlights of that show.

They don't lip synch like you would expect. They actually sing the songs. Gonna be interesting if they still actually sing the songs for this reunion tour.

This reunion has about a 50/50 chance at the moment. The first few shows are gonna be the deciding factor. They are in an interesting situation.

Most of the shows for the whole tour have sold out, yet tickets are available EVERYWHERE now. The theory spreading now is that the majority of tickets were bought by scalpers, and the scalpers have caused "fake interest" in this comeback. Meaning the Spice Girls are getting their money, but the interest may be near zero and the arenas will be mostly empty. Not a pretty picture. Evidence of this is their latest single (and GH album) tanking. There's not even much buzz amongst the few Spice Girl communities.

If interest in this was falsely inflated, scalpers take a major hit, and "Girl Power" is hit with "empty arena syndrome", the media will massacre them.

If this tanks, it may literally change how tours are promoted, and could possibly effect how tickets are sold. Scalpers scooping up all your tickets and you announcing the tour was a record sellout isn't going to cut the mustard anymore. That isn't fan interest, its scalper sites trying to make a quick buck.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James

James wrote:

Ha, you're not kidding. M.I.A. tickets went on sale at 25 bucks a piece. Scalpers grabbed them immediately, and they went for 80 to 190 bucks a piece. Fucking ridiculous. Her fans were forced to pay these astronomical prices even though she had no interest in gouging her fans.

Its getting to the point where Congress may have to step in. If Lep Zep announce a US tour, when scalpers get the tickets, they may cost a thousand bucks each.

There's just too many scalping sites out there fighting for all the tickets.

Jameslofton wrote:

Ha, you're not kidding. M.I.A. tickets went on sale at 25 bucks a piece. Scalpers grabbed them immediately, and they went for 80 to 190 bucks a piece. Fucking ridiculous. Her fans were forced to pay these astronomical prices even though she had no interest in gouging her fans.

Its getting to the point where Congress may have to step in. If Lep Zep announce a US tour, when scalpers get the tickets, they may cost a thousand bucks each.

There's just too many scalping sites out there fighting for all the tickets.

Are you kidding??

Jeez that really sucks.   I have no clue how scalpers get these tickets faster then the public.   I really don't understand that.   I know for 2 of the 3 GNR shows I went to in 06, I had to go through scalping sites to get the floor and also for VR in 2005 I got row 12, center when they came to Jones Beach, had I went through ticketmaster I would have gotten the boonies.  Since I want to be close, I already expect that I am going to pay crazy prices but for general seating for a show that had all tickets less then 30 bucks a piece for every seat, that is a crime.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

Scalpers are a huge problem.  In '96 I went to see the Kiss reunion tour, partly because I wanted to see their show and partly because Alice in Chains were opening for them.  The concerts were selling out in less than an hour, Detroit stadium sold out in 43 minutes.  Tickets were pricey.  A decent spot was 150.00.  I had a nosebleed that I paid 60.00 for by being lucky enough to get a ticket within the first hour (I went to the Louisville show) but there were people next to me who had paid close to 200.00 for the same tickets via a scalper.  Pathetic.  There really needs to be much more attention focused on this problem.  I would love to see Led Zep if they come around but like James said I'd probably have to have a grand to get a ticket.  They will set records selling out venues and you can guarantee scalpers will be sucking up as many tickets as possible.

As far as the Spice Girls the only reason I would even consider going is Posh.  I think she is absolutely crazy hot!

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

The Spice Girls comeback has only faltered because the single is absolutely garbage. A better song and it would have been a different story, they're still everywhere over here in the UK though. All looking pretty damn fine as well.

Kinda OT but I fully expect Leona Lewis who's album and single have wiped the floor with Spice Girls these past couple of weeks, to be one of the biggest acts on the planet within 5 years. She has one of the best voices I've ever heard, she covered Snow Patrol's 'Run' the other day on Radio 1 and it was absolutely magic, if anybodies interested in hearing it pm me.

Board footer