You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: The Wrestling thread

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:
Neemo wrote:

That sucks...RIP

I know he was the bad guy in the "No Holds Barred" movie...but did his wrestling career ever go anywhere?

There was no intention of a wrestling career. The feud was meant to promote No Holds Barred.

He did come back years later like Slashsfro said for basically a repeat of the feud I suppose like with Ultimate Warrior but he was never a legit wrestler...an actor playing a role.

I know he was in a bunch of movies but I've always seen him as Zeus.

For me the epic moments for Zeus was this:

zeus-vs-hulk-hogan.jpg

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah that was awesome. I hated the Zeus feud as the Megapowers storyline was winding down but the initial phase of the feud was handled well.

I also went to see the movie. Twice....once at the theater opening weekend and once about a month later at the drive in...a double feature with See No Evil', Hear No Evil.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I've been watching some Brian Pillman matches recently, I've been a fan of his since his debut when I was a kid. His run at the end of his time in WCW, when he was a 4 horseman, was really spectacular stuff. This was the real start of the Attitude Era, imo. It was the first time I really remember someone blurring the line between real and kayfabe. To this day people swear his loose cannon thing was real. From listening to Bishoff, it was all a work that only they were in on, and he fully expected Pillman to come back to WCW. He kind of hints that him going to the ECW/WWF was a way to build up his character to justify a big payday Turner execs didn't think he was worth. In any case, I think he was headed to something really special. Sad stuff.

I really hope we get a Dark Side Of The Ring episode about him.

James

James wrote:

Yeah....Pillman's death a huge tragedy.

The world will never know what it truly lost.

It's been years since reading about it but I agree...

Bischoff is full of shit. He's trying to save face.

It wasn't a work. That's what made it so unique...and it ended way too quickly. Bischoff had his head too far up Hogan and the NWO ass to comprehend how something special was being cooked up and it was time to start focusing on it.

Pillman wanted out and rightfully so.

My favorite moment of that was him referring to Kevin Sullivan as "Mr. Booker Man".

Sullivan was booking the matches/storylines at the time.

That time he flustered Heenan to cuss on TV was pretty good too.

We got such a small taste of what an Austin-Pillman feud could've been.

His death altered everything. If he lives, it takes someone else out of the equation....

The Rock
Mankind
Triple H

It also would've heightened the Mr. McMahon angle.

I gotta jump into the Pillman rabbit hole. I'll take a break from the 85-86 NWA.

AtariLegend wrote:
James wrote:

Yeah....Pillman's death a huge tragedy.

The world will never know what it truly lost.

It's been years since reading about it but I agree...

Bischoff is full of shit. He's trying to save face.

It wasn't a work. That's what made it so unique...and it ended way too quickly. Bischoff had his head too far up Hogan and the NWO ass to comprehend how something special was being cooked up and it was time to start focusing on it.

Pillman wanted out and rightfully so.

My favorite moment of that was him referring to Kevin Sullivan as "Mr. Booker Man".

Sullivan was booking the matches/storylines at the time.

That time he flustered Heenan to cuss on TV was pretty good too.

We got such a small taste of what an Austin-Pillman feud could've been.

His death altered everything. If he lives, it takes someone else out of the equation....

The Rock
Mankind
Triple H

It also would've heightened the Mr. McMahon angle.

I gotta jump into the Pillman rabbit hole. I'll take a break from the 85-86 NWA.

I don't have much to say (well tbh can't be bothered talking about wrestling anymore), but respectfully think the Pillman thing is wrong.

Triple H married the boss's daughter within a few years.

Mankind's thing sky rocketed after that Hell in a Cell match on the show just after Pitman's death. Mankind/Taker doesn't play out differently.

As for The Rock. It's The Rock, once he turned heel after his debut it was up, up and up. I'm not comparing him to Michael Jackson, but the same idea in that it was always going to happen. He was too good. One of the biggest stars Wrestling ever had.

I'm not saying his career doesn't go anywhere, but he doesn't take any of those spots.

However I will agree that Bishoff should not be taken seriously on anything.

James

James wrote:

I see your point but....

There's only so much room at the top. If Bret never leaves and/or Michaels doesn't get injured, the 98-99 period is completely different.

Somebody drops down the card...or goes to ECW or WCW.

The same applies with Pillman.

That was a red hot feud on the horizon. If it takes off, someone gets squeezed out. They drop down to the IC title picture or lower.

The Rock only enters the stratosphere because he saw his opportunity and stepped up to the plate. I'm not doubting his ability.  With Pillman in the equation, the window is smaller to jump through.

Mankind and Undertaker a great feud. He can still have that feud with Pillman around. He just wouldn't be in the world title picture during that time.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm wondering how long a Pillman-Austin feud really would've lasted. Just because both guys are playing their A game doesn't necessarily mean it's a long program. Things can go wrong. Pillman could tire of it. He could jump feds again. He could want a feud with Rock or go hardcore with Foley or Funk.

He really was a loose cannon....and loved living up to that name.

Pillman not dying is a great "What if?", that's for sure.

Triple H married the boss's daughter within a few years

I'm only talking about the late 97-99 period when Austin/WWF is a huge craze.

Pillman was not a long term player or solution to any problems. You'd get one or two red hot angles out of him and then he's probably gone....or dies at a later date than he did.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

I see your point but....

There's only so much room at the top. If Bret never leaves and/or Michaels doesn't get injured, the 98-99 period is completely different.

Somebody drops down the card...or goes to ECW or WCW.

The same applies with Pillman.

That was a red hot feud on the horizon. If it takes off, someone gets squeezed out. They drop down to the IC title picture or lower.

The Rock only enters the stratosphere because he saw his opportunity and stepped up to the plate. I'm not doubting his ability.  With Pillman in the equation, the window is smaller to jump through.

Mankind and Undertaker a great feud. He can still have that feud with Pillman around. He just wouldn't be in the world title picture during that time.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm wondering how long a Pillman-Austin feud really would've lasted. Just because both guys are playing their A game doesn't necessarily mean it's a long program. Things can go wrong. Pillman could tire of it. He could jump feds again. He could want a feud with Rock or go hardcore with Foley or Funk.

He really was a loose cannon....and loved living up to that name.

Pillman not dying is a great "What if?", that's for sure.

Triple H married the boss's daughter within a few years

I'm only talking about the late 97-99 period when Austin/WWF is a huge craze.

Pillman was not a long term player or solution to any problems. You'd get one or two red hot angles out of him and then he's probably gone....or dies at a later date than he did.

I think Triple H is the guy that gets squeezed to be honest.  Back to Pillman, it would have been fascinating to see if he would have been in the Corporation stable as one of the guys who would have tried to bring down Austin.  The other problem is that Pillman was falling apart physically and really couldn't do much. 

Also at the point where he died, he was moved down the card, I think he was feuding with Goldust.  I don't think at that point (late 97-early 98) things change much.

The big what if (from that period) that always gets me is a possible Rick Rude return to WWF and a short term feud with Austin in 99.  That was the big rumor around the time of his death.

James

James wrote:

Back to Pillman, it would have been fascinating to see if he would have been in the Corporation stable as one of the guys who would have tried to bring down Austin.

Absolutely.

Here's how I picture Austin-Pillman...

Phase one is red hot...and be sure to play up the Hollywood Blondes angle/their history. Hell in a Cell...and let there be one title change between the two.

When it cools off...take a small break and give Austin a new temporary nemesis.

Phase two.... Pillman joins the Corporation. Several ways to approach this.... Corporate champion, one of a series meant to take out Austin, etc

Phase three....a Pillman face turn to help Austin out of a tight spot....such as an Undertaker and Kane match.

After this he drops down the card or leaves.

The other problem is that Pillman was falling apart physically and really couldn't do much.

This doesn't hurt him as much as it might appear on the surface.

He simply becomes a brawler like Austin. The high flying stuff he was famous for isn't needed in this angle.

, he was moved down the card, I think he was feuding with Goldust.

This doesn't hurt him either. Austin wasn't Austin at that point. Once Austin hits the stratosphere, Pillman is his nemesis and he moves back up the card.

think Triple H is the guy that gets squeezed to be honest

I think so too.

It wouldn't even kill his long term prospects either.

big what if (from that period) that always gets me is a possible Rick Rude return to WWF and a short term feud with Austin in 99.

Yeah this definitely had potential too.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Pillman would never have been a big champion, he would have been basically like Owen Hart in the nation, he would have been involved with the Corporation, and no doubt involved in the invasion angle. Maybe even WCW champion, a new 4 Horsemen stable, most likely ending up in TNA. Thing is, the one thing everyone who knew him agrees on was that he was incredibly smart when it came to angles and long term storylines. I absolutely believe Bishoff. If you remember, Bishoff was promoting Pullman returning to a PPV on TV while he was doing his ECW thing. Guests when WWF swooped in and got him. He was fully expecting Pullman to come back. Whatever Pullman would have gone it would have been really interesting.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Pillman would never have been a big champion, .

I'm really reluctant to say this about almost any talent. by 2010, guys like eddie guerrero, booker T and rey mysterio had all been champion.

If Owen doesn't die in 1999, he'd surely have a title run at some point. I'm not really sure what the major difference would be between Bret and Owen skill wise.

Of course the era and time period matter but all precedent for who could and couldn't be champion was broken by 2010.

Board footer