You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: The Wrestling thread

mitchejw wrote:

Anyone watch the Rumble last weekend? It was pretty decent although I have to say that I'm never disappointed with rumbles.

Edge won...I feel both good and bad about that...first, he's pretty talented but second, he's a part time guy. So, I'm just not sure if it'll work out long term.

Reminds me of when the Rock would come back and just take the top spots and then leave after a few months.

AtariLegend wrote:

So a few thoughts, but first a disclaimer: I don't watch WWE anymore and only watched a handful of RAW's in the last decade. I also have no interest in hearing takes from the likes of old alumni wrestling people who's ideas are 20 years out off date. I even started skipping Mania's (that I still used to check out) in the last several years.

Therefore my participation in this thread is/has been limited. I do though catch NJPW semi-regularly.

mitchejw wrote:

Edge won...I feel both good and bad about that...first, he's pretty talented but second, he's a part time guy. So, I'm just not sure if it'll work out long term.

Reminds me of when the Rock would come back and just take the top spots and then leave after a few months.

So on this, The Rock was a huge star and one of the industry's biggest in his several year spell. The taking off thing, only happened a few times towards the end of his run (despite being relatively young and in his prime). I don't think it's comparable. He's also today one of Hollywood's biggest/best paid stars. Also objectively, the Austin Heel turn/The Rock taking off coincided with the slow year by year decline the company was on ever since.

As for Edge? He's almost 50. His big push was in the latter half of the 00's/early 2010's when WWE evolved into what it is today. Unwatchable nonsense. He was presented as a star during the era (when they decided that everyone they pushed on tv regularly was one and everyone got to hold a world title after the Cena era started).

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

So a few thoughts, but first a disclaimer: I don't watch WWE anymore and only watched a handful of RAW's in the last decade. I also have no interest in hearing takes from the likes of old alumni wrestling people who's ideas are 20 years out off date. I even started skipping Mania's (that I still used to check out) in the last several years.

Therefore my participation in this thread is/has been limited. I do though catch NJPW semi-regularly.

mitchejw wrote:

So on this, The Rock was a huge star and one of the industry's biggest in his several year spell. The taking off thing, only happened a few times towards the end of his run (despite being relatively young and in his prime). I don't think it's comparable. He's also today one of Hollywood's biggest/best paid stars. Also objectively, the Austin Heel turn/The Rock taking off coincided with the slow year by year decline the company was on ever since.

As for Edge? He's almost 50. His big push was in the latter half of the 00's/early 2010's when WWE evolved into what it is today. Unwatchable nonsense. He was presented as a star during the era (when they decided that everyone they pushed on tv regularly was one and everyone got to hold a world title after the Cena era started.)

You said you have no interest in old ideas but then expressed one.

AtariLegend wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

mitchejw wrote:

As for Edge? He's almost 50. His big push was in the latter half of the 00's/early 2010's when WWE evolved into what it is today. Unwatchable nonsense. He was presented as a star during the era (when they decided that everyone they pushed on tv regularly was one and everyone got to hold a world title after the Cena era started.)

mitch with respect, read before you reply.

AtariLegend wrote:

I also have no interest in hearing takes from the likes of old alumni wrestling people who's ideas are 20 years out off date.

I'm referring to Jim Cornette/Eric Bischoff takes.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

mitch with respect, read before you reply.

AtariLegend wrote:

I also have no interest in hearing takes from the likes of old alumni wrestling people who's ideas are 20 years out off date.

I'm referring to Jim Cornette/Eric Bischoff takes.

You’ve made my point. Your take could’ve come out of Jim Cornette’s mouth

AtariLegend wrote:

In what way mitch? You're replying like I attacked you, not sure what you mean.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

In what way mitch? You're replying like I attacked you, not sure what you mean.

I’m not...I’m impressed with your POV. I couldn’t agree more.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Still watching NWA 1986. Was going chronologically but got impatient and started moving back and forth.

Hindsight provides a level of tension and uneasiness knowing what's going to happen to Magnum.

Why in the fuck were they wasting his time with this Jimmy Garvin feud? It's probably to elevate Garvin but damn...there's others here to accomplish that.

Tying Magnum to Jimmy isn't elevating Garvin...it's dropping Magnum down the card, which is the exact opposite of what they want to do.

One of two things needed to happen.... quickly.....

- Move Dusty(the Booker) out of the way and get Magnum in a major feud with Flair. I know this was the long term plan but they're wasting time with the Garvin diversion.

- Turn Magnum heel for a feud with Dusty. It looks like they were setting this up with the two being "America's team" but again... they're treading water and not moving the angle quickly enough.

America's team leading to them under masks as "Frank and Jesse James" briefly feuding with Midnight Express went nowhere. I was checking match results from this period and saw something that deserved a lot of attention on TV instead of being relegated to house shows...

Dusty, Magnum, and Rock n Roll Express vs the Four Horsemen

Obviously this minor angle on house shows gave them the idea for Wargames a year later.

In the summer when he lost the best of 7 to Nikita, it was time to drop that feud and move to another major feud. He only had until October.

I'm also deathly sick of Jimmy Valiant and the Paul Jones army feud. I've said it before but Barbarian was completely wasted here. Put the National title on him. When people like Terry Taylor, Black Bart, and Buddy Landell didn't have it, it was just an extra title for Dusty and Tully to fight over.

Also tired of the Road Warriors constantly coming in and out of the NWA so they can go on Japan tours.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

I watched Austin vs Bret Hart last night, Summer Slam 97 I think, and holy shit that was a great match.

They only wrestled twice (like one on one) on major PPV's, Survivor Series 1996 and the famous I quit match from Wrestlemania 13.  They are both different matches too.

Yes the wrestlemania match is the best one...they basically switched roles during the match. Bret went in the the good guy came out the bad guy. Austin came in the bad guy and became the good.

How often have you ever seen something like that pulled off?

Demolition vs Powers of Pain

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Let me know when you reach 1987, that's the time I really got into NWA. I want to start watching those PPVs in order, too.

Board footer