You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The Wrestling thread

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

Let me know when you reach 1987, that's the time I really got into NWA. I want to start watching those PPVs in order, too.

I'll be there in a couple weeks.

One of these days you should watch 1985... especially summer up until Starrcade.  It has some weaknesses but the major angles are top notch....

The early phase setting up the Four Horsemen also leading to the Flair- Dusty feud in the fall....the last time their feud was interesting.

Road Warriors vs the Russians

Rock n Roll Express vs the Russians

Midnight Express debut

Ole and Arn National champs

Magnum TA vs Wahoo, Kamala, Flair, and of course Tully

It will forever piss me off that in my region of the country, we missed out on most of the NWA Worldwide shows. We only got them once in a blue moon. It's the show with weekly main event matches. Majority of our NWA fandom was spent watching the TBS shows.

Anytime you start watching no matter what year, don't exclude the Worldwide episodes.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

In what way mitch? You're replying like I attacked you, not sure what you mean.

I’m not...I’m impressed with your POV. I couldn’t agree more.

You are replying like you don't agree with him. You were even trying to start an argument with me earlier in this thread. It's becoming insufferable.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I've been watching this channel on YouTube that plays old Nitros and Raws from the Monday night wars, and holy shit I forgot how terrible Raw was back in the day. If it weren't for Hart and Austin it would've been the end of WWF.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

I've been watching this channel on YouTube that plays old Nitros and Raws from the Monday night wars, and holy shit I forgot how terrible Raw was back in the day. If it weren't for Hart and Austin it would've been the end of WWF.

Correct.  Whatever Russo called his stuff think it was Crash TV or whatever was very hit and miss.  The only positive is that it gave the mid card guys something to do and occassionally there was a decent story there.

Hart, Michaels, Austin and the Undertaker, maybe Mick Foley were the only reasons to watch.  Later on the Rock and HHH as well.  But especially 1995-1996 they were treading water.  I'll give them credit on the Kane storyline though.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Axl S wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Axl S wrote:

We know the difference between a booker and a writer mitch. A booker still writes a storyline outline and plans out where they want the story to go. They then give the wrestlers notes on things they need to mention when they do any promos and any angles that need to be incorporated into their matches. They also as James mentioned sometimes need to drop angles or change course due to outside circumstances.

That’s not entirely true...pat Patterson is my evidence of this...

He never told people exactly what to do...but he provided key points and allowed the performers to fill in the holes.

That's telling people what to do. Jesus Christ.

If he told wrestler A: "during your promo you need to challenge wrestler B to a cage match at the next ppv". That's telling him what to do.

If he told wrestler A: "during your match you're going to stay down for the 3 count but get your foot on the rope, the ref will count it and accidentally give the victory to wrestler B. this will setup a bigger match between you two later". That's telling them what to do.

The wrestlers were never told to freewheel absolutely everything. Otherwise you'd have a show with no consistency.

You’re the one that flipped out for no reason.

Wrestlers had way more autonomy in the 80s. That was my only point. You didn’t need to get all bent out of shape.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The channel is called WrestlingBios, if anyone is interested. Man, another thing I'd forgotten was how long WCW built up Glacier. They spent a shit load of money on that stupid gimmick. What an absolute disaster. Yet, they had Y2J and they didn't know what to do with him. I LOVED Jericho's WCW run. He won me over the night he lost a match and started crying in the ring. I don't think I ever laughed as much at a wrestler like I did him in WCW.

James

James wrote:

I'm just going to skip to 87. I'm getting bored of the buildup to Starrcade. The main angle is Midnights vs Road Warriors. The scaffold match was a terrible concept. Can't make a good match out of that. Their match should've been a Barb wire steel cage match with Cornette inside a small cage above the ring.

Magnum's accident ruined the world title picture. Instead of Magnum they had to pivot towards a Flair-Nikita feud....and that was THE hot angle the summer of 85. It's old news. Even with Nikita no longer being a heel, there simply wasn't any genuine excitement for it. Like the Garvin feud a year later, the crowd doesn't want to boo Flair.

Having Flair-Nikita be the main event at Starrcade was also dumb for the simple fact it was championship vs championship.

This fails on two levels....

You've eliminated an extra match for the second most important title.

It's obvious neither one would win both belts.

We got a lame DQ out of this main event.

I also realized something else...

In the leadup to Magnum's accident, like I mentioned before he was feuding with Jimmy  Garvin.

Who was Nikita feuding with at the same time?

Ron Garvin.

Where in the hell were they going with that? That's obviously not a coincidence. This may have been the early stages of the inevitable Magnum heel turn...on the other hand, any heel turn would involve Dusty.

I don't remember exactly when Windham gets red hot in 87. Same with Luger.  That infamous Windham-Luger team that leads to the Windham heel turn and joining the Horsemen is one of the greatest moments in wrestling although I think that happened in early-mid 88. Haven't watched that since it happened.

I always wanted Lord Humongous to come to NWA back then. For those who don't know, Humongous was a young Sid Vicious wearing a hockey mask like Jason.

That could've been interesting.

James

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

The channel is called WrestlingBios, if anyone is interested. Man, another thing I'd forgotten was how long WCW built up Glacier. They spent a shit load of money on that stupid gimmick. What an absolute disaster. Yet, they had Y2J and they didn't know what to do with him. I LOVED Jericho's WCW run. He won me over the night he lost a match and started crying in the ring. I don't think I ever laughed as much at a wrestler like I did him in WCW.

Once I've wrapped up 87-mid 89 NWA(I stopped watching NWA for a few years late 89), I think I'll fast forward to that late 90s WCW and cruise through some of it.

You're right...they fucked up a lot of shit due to the over reliance on Hogan and allowing him to veto angles and bury wrestlers.

They didn't know what to do with Benoit either. He wasn't Horsemen material and that was the best thing they did with him.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Oh man Glacier...he was basically a rip off sub-zero from mortal Kombat.

The promos went on forever. I think i remember promos of him like doing karate kicks in the dark.

The whole cruiser weight division was fantastic. Not many people remember Jericho was a cruiser weight so many of those guys ended up being huge stars in WWF/E.

It is almost surreal to see how hogan/Nash/hall revived WCW only to choke out all the under card talent of the future.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

WWF and WCW at that time, 96-98ish were weird opposites of one another.  On WCW, they did the undercard stuff far better.  But when it came to the main event stuff and actually paying off an angle, for the most part they disappointed.  It was the opposite in WWF where their undercard stuff was spotty but more often than not the stuff in the main event was booked well and there was a satisfying payoff.  I mean, Austin did win the title from Michaels at Wrestlemania 14.

Most of the time in WCW you had some sort of bullshit finish with the NWO makes all the emotional investment that you as a fan have "bought in" kind of wasted.

Board footer