You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: The Wrestling thread

misterID wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

WWF and WCW at that time, 96-98ish were weird opposites of one another.  On WCW, they did the undercard stuff far better.  But when it came to the main event stuff and actually paying off an angle, for the most part they disappointed.  It was the opposite in WWF where their undercard stuff was spotty but more often than not the stuff in the main event was booked well and there was a satisfying payoff.  I mean, Austin did win the title from Michaels at Wrestlemania 14.

Most of the time in WCW you had some sort of bullshit finish with the NWO makes all the emotional investment that you as a fan have "bought in" kind of wasted.

This main event vs undercard is really apparent in the show I'm watching. Right now, Hogan hasn't joined The Outsiders yet. It's funny how much they relied on the Horsemen for their main events, and their storylines sucked. It was the same shit they'd been doing since Flair's heel turn on Sting from the late 80s. The big swerve was bringing in Mongo McMichael who literally doesn't know how to wrestle. The main events were the Horsemen vs Sting, Luger, and the Steiner's while Raw had Undertaker vs Austin. But the rest of the show was a wash.

DDP was really, really entertaining as a midcarder, and it was smart how they used him in so much of the show. And you'd get a 20 minute Eddie Guerrero vs Y2J match.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

For me, when DDP did his program with Macho Man...that's when he really arrived and he was top of the card forever more after that...the whole cigar thing with Kimberley was awesome. he was so annoying.

The Mongo thing still cracks me up. First, didn't he announce Nitro while he was a member of the horseman? And he was always holding this little poodle dog.

If my memory serves me...it was Mongo, Benoit, Arn and Ric Flair? Was there another guy? Was Arn wrestling anymore. Ugh...I just can't remember now.

Curious ID, James...did you watch the Halloween Havoc where The Giant (aka big show) has a monster truck rally with Hogan and Hogan 'accidently' shoves him off the roof of a building and appears to murder him? LOL...then The Giant still shows up for their main event match? I think that was Havoc 95 so that woulda been October 1995...if you're leading up to the Outsiders stuff I thought you might have seen it.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I didn't see that Havoc, I didn't really watch the skinny Hulk Hogan era WCW. Giant was a terrible champion. In the last show I watched his title defense was against Earthquake, and it was just thrown into the middle of the show.

Every time Hall and Nash show up, and I don't even think they wrestled yet, the crowd goes bananas. They really pulled that angle off well.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

If my memory serves me...it was Mongo, Benoit, Arn and Ric Flair? Was there another guy? Was Arn wrestling anymore. Ugh...I just can't remember now.

Dean Malenco was the other Horseman. At that point the Horsemen stable should've been put out to pasture. It had veered too far away from its original concept.

Curious ID, James...did you watch the Halloween Havoc where The Giant (aka big show) has a monster truck rally with Hogan and Hogan 'accidently' shoves him off the roof of a building and appears to murder him? LOL...then The Giant still shows up for their main event match? I think that was Havoc 95 so that woulda been October 1995...if you're leading up to the Outsiders stuff I thought you might have seen it.

I don't remember the exact time I got back into wrestling....late 95-mid 96...but I definitely missed that.

The moment I started watching it again, main feud was Savage and Flair with Elizabeth on Flairs side. She threw Flair her shoe and Flair knocked out Savage with it.

For me, when DDP did his program with Macho Man...that's when he really arrived and he was top of the card forever more after that...the whole cigar thing with Kimberley was awesome. he was so annoying.

My favorite DDP period is when he almost beat Goldberg for the title. It's also my favorite Goldberg match.

They should've let DDP win. What they did with Goldberg after this was ten times worse and the crowd was red hot for this angle. Could've gotten a great rematch or two out of it.

Instead we get the shit end to his reign leading to the fingerpoke of doom.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

I didn't see that Havoc, I didn't really watch the skinny Hulk Hogan era WCW. Giant was a terrible champion. In the last show I watched his title defense was against Earthquake, and it was just thrown into the middle of the show.

Every time Hall and Nash show up, and I don't even think they wrestled yet, the crowd goes bananas. They really pulled that angle off well.

1995 in general was an awful year for wrestling in general in both WWF and WCW.  I assumed you passed the infamous Doomsday cage match from Uncensored in 1996.  It was just boring to me and not awful like most people say.

Oh man the Hall and Nash thing was brilliant by WCW.  They don't go overkill and just bash you over the head with you like modern WWE.  They did the slow build and it worked to perfection.  It's like reading a great novel, every chapter builds on the previous one.  Getting ahead here, but Bishoff sold that jacknife powerbomb by Nash at the Great American Bash very well.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Watching the Raw vs Nitro the night after Hogan's heel turn. I had no idea Vince had planned to make the Warrior his franchise to go against WCW and the night after of the NWO debut Warrior stiffs WWF and leaves the company. What a friggin stroke of luck that was.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Watching the Raw vs Nitro the night after Hogan's heel turn. I had no idea Vince had planned to make the Warrior his franchise to go against WCW and the night after of the NOW debut Warrior stiffs WWF and leaves the company. What a friggin stroke of luck that was.

Oh god...that was short lived. Did you hear about the comic book thing? Absurd.

Warrior had virtually been out of the business for 3 years after he fucked Vince the first time and then he virtually did the same thing.

He never worked for Vince again after this incident.

I remember how they played it off on tv too. Gorilla Monsoon said warrior had been missing dates and wouldn’t be back in the WWF unless made a ‘post appearance bond’ for the following cities’ then he listed several cities and they never mentioned him again.

Fool me once Shame on you fool me twice shame on me.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Watching the Raw vs Nitro the night after Hogan's heel turn. I had no idea Vince had planned to make the Warrior his franchise to go against WCW and the night after of the NOW debut Warrior stiffs WWF and leaves the company. What a friggin stroke of luck that was.

Warrior had virtually been out of the business for 3 years after he fucked Vince the first time and then he virtually did the same thing.

I remember how they played it off on tv too. Gorilla Monsoon said warrior had been missing dates and wouldn’t be back in the WWF unless made a ‘post appearance bond’ for the following cities’ then he listed several cities and they never mentioned him again.

LOL, I don't remember the comic book but wasn't there a Warrior University tie in (it was equally as dumb)?  I forget who Warrior was feuding with when he no showed in June 1996.  He squashed HHH at Wrestlemania so it wasn't him.  I think he was feuding for whatever reason with Jerry Lawler.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

LOL, I don't remember the comic book but wasn't there a Warrior University tie in (it was equally as dumb)?  I forget who Warrior was feuding with when he no showed in June 1996.  He squashed HHH at Wrestlemania so it wasn't him.  I think he was feuding for whatever reason with Jerry Lawler.

Yea...as part of agreeing to come back and working for WWF, Vince had to buy like a million of warriors new comic book. Apparently he’d had all these comic books written and printed but had no plan for distribution or selling them.

It wasn’t good enough that Vince allow them to be sold at live events or what not...he just wanted Vince to buy them and deal with it from there.

Wrestlemania was in April that year and warrior was gone by end of June...hardly enough time to do anything notable....with the exception of fucking himself and everyone else over.

He literally just stopped showing up.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

Watching the Raw vs Nitro the night after Hogan's heel turn. I had no idea Vince had planned to make the Warrior his franchise to go against WCW and the night after of the NWO debut Warrior stiffs WWF and leaves the company. What a friggin stroke of luck that was.

I don't remember this. Yeah...it would've been a total disaster.

It doesn't make sense with what else was going on at the time. Who would his opponents be? After running through people like Undertaker, Yokozuna, and I assume Bret Hart, you've killed the heat of everyone, made them look ridiculous, and now you've got no opponents for a champ who runs out of gas two minutes into a match.

He was a disaster in 1990. People... including small children...tired of the Warrior act quickly. Many like me simply turned it off back then when he was being moved to the top spot.

In 88-89 I saw it for what it was.... McMahon attempting to create a Hogan clone. He didn't realize that the ride of Hogan was lightning in a bottle with several things like timing, luck, and a critical point in pop culture fueling the momentum of Hulkamania. The cherry on top was Hogan oozing charisma.

Warrior simply couldn't recreate that....not at the level McMahon envisioned anyways.

He had no talent as a wrestler. Savage and Rude literally carried him. He spewed gibberish in interviews. He couldn't back up his out of control ego.

If McMahon was seriously going to move away from a Hogan dominated WWF 89-90, Warrior isn't needed. It's just B grade Hogan garbage. Just keep the belt on Savage. Fans bought him as world champ 88-89 and he was capable of feuding with anyone. Maybe try to bring Flair in a year earlier than he did. We now know it was possible because Flair almost came in back in 88. 

If not Savage, start moving Bret up the card as a singles wrestler quicker.

That early-mid 90s era of WWF is wacky.

Board footer