You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: The Wrestling thread

mitchejw wrote:

Here's the thing...Vince just was never that creative. All his successes came from stealing from someone else. That's it. When there was no one left to steal from his stank just permeated everywhere.

He never met a person he couldn't exploit or a situation he couldn't leverage with his money.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Watching WCW Wrestle War 92, and the Steiners were crazy over. They wrestled a Japanese tag team of former New Japan champions and it's awesome. They've nearly killed themselves twice with insane spots.

Raven wrestled as Scotty Flamingo against Buff Bagwell. Great match with Brian Pillman and Z-Man (lol). Pillman was way over, too.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Been reading those wrestling observer newsletters lately.

During the negotiations between Turner and Jim Crockett over selling NWA, Crockett was withholding pay from the roster. Ole started talking to David Crockett (announcer, part owner) about taking a bunch of the wrestlers and starting their own wrestling fed.

Before it could happen, the Crockett family agreed to get together and sell to Turner.

Unbelievable.

Had David and Ole branched out on their own and fractured the NWA roster, it alters history.

There would be no NWA to sell to Turner. It would've been two minor leagues unable to go national. NWA ratings were already dropping as is, and they would've lost TV slots and PPV as well. The new fed, regardless of its roster, can't get off the ground.

This happened in the same time frame that Flair almost jumped to WWF in 88. As we all know, Flair was the main draw for Turner. No Flair, no deal.

Had this alternate scenario played out, McMahon would've done to these two feds exactly what he did to AWA and UWF....poached the best wrestlers and left everything else.

Scary thought that just a couple different decisions in 1988 could've led to McMahon monopolizing the industry by 1989-90.

Had it played out, I don't think McMahon would've had the same approach as he did in 2001. I think he would've created his own second fed to handle the overflowing roster. There were simply too many great wrestlers at the time to let them go to waste.

On the other hand, imagine all the dream matches the world could've had in that timeframe when they're all in their prime.

James

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

Z-Man (lol).

That guy fucked up royally. In 87 McMahon was setting the Can Am Connection (Martel and Zenc) up to be THE hot team. A great buildup and even 11-12 year old me could see they were going to be world champs at some point that year.

Zenc finds out Martel is getting a bigger paycheck than he is...which shouldn't have been surprising. Martel was a veteran and former AWA world champ. Zenc was as green as oyster shit.

He freaked out and just got up and walked away... leaving McMahon to figure out how to fix this with his red hot team no longer existing.

Just pure stupidity on Zenc's part.

This caused McMahon to call an audible...

Tito Santana was drowning in the mid/low card with nothing to do. He teamed him up with Martel and BOOM.....Strike Force is born. They get the same run as Can Am would've got.

Zenc never truly recovered from this. A short run in WCW was not worth bailing out on WWF.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Zenc was a good wrestler, but man he was TERRIBLE on the microphone.

Ole would have been awful as an owner. No one would have wanted to work with him.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Starrcade 91 was just a huge clusterfuck but really entertaining.  They had two rings in a weird survivor series meets royal rumble mash up. First, they created tag teams by lottery. All the winners of the tag team matches moved on to a battle royal... But you didn't throw them out to the mat, no... You had to throw them into the second ring. Once in that ring, you had to throw them out to the floor. The last man in the first ring got to rest while everyone fought it out in the second ring. The winner of the second ring had to go wrestle the winner of the first ring. It was so convoluted the announcers couldn't keep the rules straight.

Abdullah the Butcher and Cactus Jack were hilarious as they didn't follow the rules and just did whatever they wanted, even sabotaging themselves. The quasi end with Sting vs Steamboat vs Rick Rude vs Steve Austin was really great. Heel Luger fought Sting at the end, and it's amazing how Sting carried that match despite working over an hour beforehand and Luger resting a good twenty minutes.

And can I just say how awesome and unappreciated Beautiful Bobby Eaton was. Mick Foley said wrestlers would fight to wrestle Eaton because of how smooth and soft he wrestled. He never hurt you and it was like taking a night off while you looked really good. And honestly, his matches did look really good. It really dispels the "working stiff" looks better on tv.

James

James wrote:

I never watched Starrcade 91. It's that Battlebowl shit.

It sounds even worse than the "Iron Man" tournament of Starrcade 89. I still can't believe they pulled that stunt. It was the beginning of the end of Starrcade being the Thanksgiving tradition for wrassling. They had to turn it into a damn gimmick event.

Within a few years Hogan is there and that was the death blow. Went from gimmicks to the main event being Hogan vs his friends.

Last decent Starrcade was 93 with Vader vs Flair.

can I just say how awesome and unappreciated Beautiful Bobby Eaton was

One of the greatest. It's unfortunate that he had terrible mic skills and needed a manager and tag partner to get any momentum going in his career.

He could've been on the level of Flair or Savage if he could've improved in that department.

Watch some of his early stuff in Georgia when he does interviews. It's pretty bad.

Ole would have been awful as an owner. No one would have wanted to work with him.

Ole was part owner of Georgia Championship Wrestling during its last couple of years of existence along with the Briscos. Yeah it was a clusterfuck. Vince McMahon took the TBS timeslot and then bought em out.

It led to this....

WWF in the Atlanta studio where NWA and Georgia took place weekly. McMahon eventually sold the timeslot to Crockett.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Watching Vader vs Sting Starrcade 92, this is really fantastic. So much better than Vader vs HBK.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Vader was a monster and booked significantly better in WCW than WWF.  Loved his WCW feuds with Flair, Sting and Catcus Jack.  Same thing with Rick Rude.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Sting took some legit stiff shots and played it up perfectly and played him up like a monster. I'm really impressed with Sting as a wrestler. I was always a fan, much more than a Hogan fan, but I don't think I fully appreciated the worker Sting was.

Board footer