You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The Wrestling thread

James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Beautiful Bobby Eaton died today.  I never caught most of his heydey in the 80s but he was one of those solid pro wrestlers that put on a great match every time I watched WCW in the 90s.

Holy shit.

Truly one of the all time greats. Not even open to debate.

The only reason he is not up there with the likes of Flair, Savage, Steamboat, etc. is he was godawful on the mic and needed a manager to be his mouthpiece...so he got into tag team wrestling.

Had he been competent on the mic....it alters his career and he could've thrived as a singles wrestler.

I hit the pause button on watching old school wrestling. Tonight I'm going to watch some 86-88 NWA....the prime years of the Midnight Express.

James

James wrote:

I was always on the fence about whether or not it should've happened, but now I agree....

Cornette and The Midnights should've went to WWF.... specifically that late 88-89 timeframe where WCW didn't know what to do with them anymore and kept firing and rehiring them.

Could've reignited their way too short feud with Tully and Arn, and also had what would've been a dream match at the time...

A feud with Demolition.

McMahon wanted them but they balked. They hated how McMahon kept talking about toys and stuff and didn't mention wrestling.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

I think a potential problem that AEW may have an issue with down the line is roster bloat, especially if you keep on adding ex WWE guys.

Beautiful Bobby Eaton died today.  I never caught most of his heydey in the 80s but he was one of those solid pro wrestlers that put on a great match every time I watched WCW in the 90s.

Damn. So underappreciated because he didn't have the "look." But damn he was fantastic. Watching the Monday night wars YouTube videos I forgot he kept wrestling well into the 90s and was putting on great matches with young guys like Rey Mysterio. Just gutted. Mick Foley said everyone wanted to wrestle Eaton because he was so smooth it was like taking the night off. He was proof that working stiff didn't equate to good wrestling. That Alabama Jam was a thing of beauty.

James

James wrote:

I'm watching 87 again...the period in early 87 where Rude and Fernandez are tag champs.

I'm already sick of the constant mention of Bunkhouse stampedes. It's the drizzling shits. It was then and it is now.  Pretty sure house show attendance dropped during this crap.

I think I'll ditch this and go back to 86 and revisit the Midnight Express feuds with the Rock n Roll express and Road Warriors.

James

James wrote:

Rarely talked about anymore but this is one of the highlights of the Midnight's career....

This angle was way too short. They had too much other stuff going on to do it properly. This happened in the middle of Dusty's feud with the Horsemen and Magnum's feud with Nikita.

I forgot how long this angle lasted... maybe a month? Couldn't be very long because Bash 86 is right around the corner and this was already over by then.

They could never resurrect the feud due to Magnum's accident a few months later.

It's amazing though. Might be Cornette's best conniption fit ever.

There's some more stuff with the James gang but this is where it started.

Edit

Their worst angle had to be against Jimmy Valiant and Miss Atlanta Lively.....Ron Garvin in drag.

misterID

misterID wrote:

CM PUNK debuted in AEW just now, and I haven't seen a pop like that in a decade. WWE should be nervous. This is a 1997 type crowd.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

CM PUNK debuted in AEW just now, and I haven't seen a pop like that in a decade. WWE should be nervous. This is a 1997 type crowd.

My love for wrestling died when punk left....holy shit...if he's really back...it's liek 1996 when scott hall and kevin nash did their thing...

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

DSotR Plane ride from hell episode wasn't very good imo...

misterID

misterID wrote:

Yeah, disappointed. Now they're trying to cancel Ric Flair and Scott Hall. And Jonathan Coachman is saying Vince and Linda weren't on the plane at all, which contradicts a lot.

Those two guys were well known alcoholics, imo that's like a mental illness. Now trying to destroy them after they've finally straightened themselves out is unforgivable.

James

James wrote:

I keep forgetting about this series.

I need to binge watch this season.

Unfortunate that this one isn't getting good reviews. I had a feeling that this series was going to slide downhill fairly quickly.

Board footer