You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The Wrestling thread

James wrote:

On the subject of Rude....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjPWFSIKgd0

This is right before Rude bails out on the team(while tag champs!) for the greener pastures of WWF.

This could've been a great feud. They must have been fazing out the feud with the Rock N Roll express and switching to this.

Rude's interviews at the time insinuated they would take on both heels and faces....that would've been amazing. I salivate at the thought of Rude/Raging Bull feuding with the Midnights or Tully and Arn.

Edit

God damnit I can't get the video to embed for some reason...it's Rude/Bull vs The Road Warriors.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I’ve been watching some shoots on Rude, and the dude had some issues. Eric Bishoff told a story, backed up by Flair, that he refused to give up the big gold belt in WCW. Eric kept pestering him about it, so one night he told Eric to follow him to his car. He opened the trunk and inside was the belt and a .357 magnum. And he just stared at Eric before giving him the belt.

I do think Vince screwed up not giving him a title run in the WWF. He was a great heel champion in WCW.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I remember that.

I think he's talked about it a few times over the years.

The version I remember is Bischofff was a bit scared in the moment, when it was over tried laughing it off, and someone (Savage? Sting? Nash?) told him Rude is legit and he got lucky.

I also think someone told him to never be in Rude's presence alone.

He was extremely dangerous. Rude was in that group of wrestlers in Minnesota in the early 80s who worked as bouncers at that bar...

Rude
Both Road Warriors
Smash/Kruschev
Scott Norton

I'm forgetting a few. Nikita?

Anyways...when everyone on the list says you were the crazy one not to be fucked with.....

He doesn't get enough credit when the tough guy/shooters discussions come up.... everyone always focuses on Haku or the Barbarian...or Harley Race and going way back...Lou Thez.

Rude belongs at the top of the list. The others were bad asses too....but Haku rarely fought anyone. Rude would seek out fights....and he wasn't a typical bully who seeks out weaklings.

It's a miracle he never killed anyone.

Another thing.....

Hogan refused to do a program with him in 87-88 when it was logical to do it. Hell...when he did the program with Warrior and Warrior acted off and was a bit stiff...he got a stern warning for it.

By title run I assume you mean World...he briefly held the IC title.

I agree with you though....he would've been a great "transitional" champ in the event Savage is not there to pick up the slack for Hogan.

Dude had insane charisma and women loved him. Unfortunately for him he could never be a face because when women start liking you in droves like that, it usually happens.

It's also unfortunate that he had to waste a couple critical years in smaller promotions learning his craft at the bottom of the card.

Like Magnum, he needed someone like Ole or others to immediately notice how special he was and take him to the next level.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I just saw footage of Owen Hart's funeral.

And it was so crazy seeing Hogan talking to McMahon outside of it.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Hogan apparently refused to wrestle Rude. I know Rude beat the shit out of the Warrior in the locker room, so that might have something to do with it.

misterID

misterID wrote:

FUHix3rX0AE7jVq.jpg

misterID

misterID wrote:

There was also a picture of Vince and Benoit talking.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Since everyone mentioned Rude, I did a marathon of 90s Wargames matches yesterday.  1991 and 1992 are far and beyond the best two.  Both of those are really close.  I think "workrate" wise I prefer 92, it also has Austin bleeding within 5 mins and he takes a couple of insane bumps.  Oh wait, it also has that part where Madusa climbs up to the top of the cage and drops the phone in as a weapon.    The only thing that I don't care for is the ending.  It seems kinda randomy and weak. 

91 is great too. Again I have an issue with the ending.  It's the entire Sid intentionally tried to injure Pillman.  And after the first powerbomb where Pillman landed on his head, you could see he was concussed.    Larry Zybesko gets more stuff in on this wargames as opposed to 92.

93 suffers for one reason:  lack of star power.  When you have Harlem Heat, Shockmaster/Typhoon in there, it's gonna suck.  It's too bad because I really enjoy the bits with Vader in there just destroying people in the cage.

Couldn't find a complete version of 94 and skipped 95.  I'll only say that Dustin Rhodes was in 4 straight War Games matches from 1991-94.  He was a better worker in WCW but made more money in WWE as Goldust.  Some of those early Goldust matches aren't good at all and he got by by the character being over.   Even now though, I get a good laugh from the angle where he's putting the moves on Razor Ramon.

96 and full on NWO vs WCW stuff in full force.  I enjoyed most of this.  Wrestling was decent.  I always get a kick out of Flair delivering nutshots especially as a face.  And all 3 NWO guys get low blows from Ric here.  But this was basically an "angle advancement" match.  My problem is I totally forgot about the entire Sting stuff.  And really having the NWO with a fake Sting is a little dumb to me. 

97 the Best of the later ones really.  I forgot that douche Bagwell was in this match.  Sigh, Benoit is the MVP of this match as he had his working boots on.  This one is another one that ends with an angle advancement but I didn't mind this as much since it was easier to understand and remember.  Oh,  McMichael did pretty good for a guy here who wasn't an experienced wrestler.  Also, helps that this had a nice blood feud feel to this.  Oh, they mentioned mocking Arn's retirement.  I totally remember that as Waltman (I think) put on some blonde wig and was Ric Flair.

98 ugh this was bad.  It's just basically wrestlers in a cage at this point.  Kinda dull for the most part.  That Warrior/Hogan crap near the end kills it for me.  Also it makes the entire "winner gets a World Title shot" seem minor.  I mean DDP won but the entire thing was focused on Warrior /Hogan.  One note; near the first part of this match, there's a really awkward Brain/Schiavone exchange.  Brain says something like look over there and Schiavone counters with a shut up.  there's a minute of uncomfortable silence afterwards.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Vince is finished following the latest round of allegations via WSJ:

The previously unreported settlements include a $7.5 million pact with a former wrestler who alleged that Mr. McMahon coerced her into giving him oral sex and then demoted her and, ultimately, declined to renew her contract in 2005 after she resisted further sexual encounters, according to people familiar with the matter. The wrestler and her attorney approached Mr. McMahon in 2018 and negotiated the payment in return for her silence, the people said.

In another previously unreported deal, a WWE contractor presented the company with unsolicited nude photos of Mr. McMahon she reported receiving from him and alleged that he had sexually harassed her on the job, according to people familiar with the woman’s 2008 nondisclosure agreement. Mr. McMahon agreed to pay her roughly $1 million, these people said.

And in a 2006 agreement, a former manager who had worked 10 years for Mr. McMahon before he allegedly initiated a sexual relationship with her was paid $1 million to keep quiet about it, according to people familiar with the deal.

The Journal previously reported about a $3 million hush pact reached in January between Mr. McMahon and a former WWE paralegal with whom he allegedly had an affair, citing documents and the people familiar with the matter. WWE’s board is investigating Mr. McMahon’s agreement with the former paralegal, and the 2018 deal with the former wrestler, people familiar with the inquiry said.

The first one (and most disguesting and damaging one) is Christy Hemme.  No idea who the other two female WWE talent mentioned there could be.

The manager one could be Terri Runnels /Marlena I guess.  That one pretty much says the harrasment started in the 90s or earlier.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Vince is the WWE. It’ll no doubt go to Kahn and it’ll be sold to NBC or Disney. It’ll never be the same. Idk, if he settled it, then it should be settled.

Board footer