You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The Wrestling thread

johndivney wrote:

He shouldn't of been there. What happened was entirely predictable & could've been a lot worse.
He was like Jon favreau in friends.
As soon as the guy took him down you could see panic set in, then when the first blow landed punk was like hfs what have I got myself into. From there it was just a matter of survival.

AtariLegend wrote:

Linda McMahon, who once called Trump’s comments about women ‘deplorable,’ gave $6 million to support his bid

Linda McMahon, co-founder of the professional wrestling franchise WWE and a former Republican Senate candidate from Connecticut, infused a super PAC supporting Donald Trump with $6 million in August and September, new campaign finance filings show.

The donations from McMahon made up nearly one-third of the nearly $18 million that Rebuilding America Now pulled in during the last quarter. She made five separate contributions, giving a final $1 million on Sept. 22.

McMahon's support for the super PAC marks the second occasion in which she has stepped up with major financial support for Trump. Between 2007 and 2009, she and her husband Vince gave $5 million to Trump's charitable foundation.

The latest donations make Linda McMahon one of the GOP presidential nominee's biggest outside benefactors — a somewhat surprising development, since she has been critical of his rhetoric in the past. During the GOP primary contest, she told Yahoo's Katie Couric that she was offended by Trump's disparaging comments of women, calling them “deplorable.”

“He’s not helping, certainly, to put women in the best light,” said McMahon, who now oversees Women's Leadership LIVE, a company that seeks to promote women in business. “Maybe he regrets them, maybe he doesn’t. I realize he punches hard when he punches back, but that’s just over the top.”

But last month, McMahon told the Associated Press that even though he was not her first choice for president, she is now a strong Trump backer, saying he had emerged as “a vessel that has housed this anger and this dissatisfaction” that exists throughout the country.

“Once you're his friend, he is loyal to the end,” she added. “He's an incredibly loyal, loyal friend.”

Even with McMahon's backing, Rebuilding America Now and other pro-Trump super PACs are still vastly outmatched by the dominant super PAC supporting Hillary Clinton.

Priorities USA Action, which is run by top Clinton aides, raised $132 million through the end of August, including $21.7 million that month. Meanwhile, nine pro-Trump groups pulled in $33.5 million during the past three months. (Two other super PACs supporting the GOP nominee do not report their totals until Thursday.)

The most generous Trump supporters so far are Las Vegas Sands chief executive Sheldon Adelson and his wife, Miriam, who together gave the super PAC Future 45 $10 million last month. The Adelsons, who just began doling out major contributions, are now on track to leap to the top of the 2016 donor rankings.  They have already given more than $52 million in disclosed contributions to GOP super PACs in the past two months, including $20 million a piece to the groups backing Republican House and Senate candidates.

Other pro-Trump mega-donors include Home Depot co-founder Bernard Marcus ($5 million), hedge fund executive Robert Mercer ($2 million), poultry magnate Ronald Cameron ($2 million) and TD Ameritrade founder Joe Ricketts ($1 million.)

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos … super-pac/

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

No surprise there really

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I watched Wrestling with Shadows a few days ago. YOu can now throw me in with the group who believes the Montreal Screwjob was a work.

AtariLegend wrote:

I barely watch WWE PPV's anymore (it's pretty terrible frequently), but it's worth pointing out that Wrestlemania is this weekend. It hasn't been officially said, but I think there's a very good chance it'll be the last time you see Undertaker wrestle.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I barely watch WWE PPV's anymore (it's pretty terrible frequently), but it's worth pointing out that Wrestlemania is this weekend. It hasn't been officially said, but I think there's a very good chance it'll be the last time you see Undertaker wrestle.

Every year I get together with a small group of friends and watch Wrestlemania - we've done it since 1997 but I do have to admit it's more of a nostalgia trip. We watch and talk about the good old days of our friendship and wrestling. This year will be 21 wrestlemania sin a row!

AtariLegend wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Every year I get together with a small group of friends and watch Wrestlemania - we've done it since 1997 but I do have to admit it's more of a nostalgia trip. We watch and talk about the good old days of our friendship and wrestling. This year will be 21 wrestlemania sin a row!

I'm trying to convince myself to spend the money on a 1 month subscription to watch Mania when I can't stand the show anymore.

It's tradition, but it's also a 6 hour plus show of mediocrity/resentment.

If it wasn't for Mania season this company would have been on it's dying legs several years ago at least.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Is this some hot gossip somewhere? People say it every year.

Anyway, I'm watching this Sunday because I've been promised free food and drinks. lol

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I'm trying to convince myself to spend the money on a 1 month subscription to watch Mania when I can't stand the show anymore.

It's tradition, but it's also a 6 hour plus show of mediocrity/resentment.

If it wasn't for Mania season this company would have been on it's dying legs several years ago at least.

From what I've heard....that is the business model now...they make all their money on the "Super Bowl"

And as far as the show is concerned...I've long accepted that I've changed as much as wrestling...it's not their fault I'm no longer their target audience

AtariLegend wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

And as far as the show is concerned...I've long accepted that I've changed as much as wrestling...it's not their fault I'm no longer their target audience

Not so sure. The ratings are at record lows every few months and have been getting lower for years. The company peaked for it's business in 2001, until they bought out WCW and decided to turn Stone Cold heel for some reason. The audiences never came back and kept declining, then they killed off their PPV business long before the network by putting on nonsense every month people didn't want to see.

Due to the ridiculous money the company gets in advertising revenue now and the fact that people seem happy to pay £9.99 a month... they have literally no incentive to do anything. They're less popular, attendances are dropping and alot less people are watching... but they're making more money than ever before.

Wagszilla wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Is this some hot gossip somewhere? People say it every year.

He's 50 plus, injured, he can barely move and the company is assuming he's done. He's also facing Reigns who the company is trying to push as the new John Cena to disastrous results.

Taker really should have retired when they ended the streak a few years back, when Lesnar won imo.

Board footer