You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Paranormal Activity

RussTCB wrote:

removed

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

What a piece of shit movie this was

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

So this was finally released in Australia last night...and after rave reviews from you guys wink i rushed out to see it.

I'm going to surprise you and say to an extent I've found this film scary but not how you'd expect.

I think perhaps it's a difference in what scares a person.

The actual film itself is not scary. There's no jumps. I can't imagine any need to scream, let alone turn the movie off, wet yourself or any of the orther stories on the net.

But i felt this movie was psychologically scary. After the fact.

In a normal horror, there might be a jump moment or somethign that scares you, but after the movie u don't think about it or the plot of the film at all. This movie was the opposite...i was borderline bored during the first half of the film, and just casually interested during the second...but elements of the idea stuck with me once I left the theatre and I have to admit in a way it kind of spooked me...as a concept....

The lack of scares actually made it more brainfucking to me than the average Boogyman type thrillelr with a bunch of jumps and effects. It's more the idea that's scary.

Of course it could also be be

cause one part of the film reminded me of something. Film end Spolier:

Hidden Text:

I had an ex that would sleep walk and talk like that in her sleep with no recollection in the morning, and it's somewhat disconcerting. So the getting up and staring at the guy, let alone the very ending creaped me put a bit. So maybe it was just that.

Edit: Which of the endings did you guys see? I'm told there's different ones.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I watched the screener with the "police ending" which I thought was fuckin horrible.

Ahh, mine was the theatrical ending where:

Hidden Text:

She gets out of bed in the night. Stares at him for like 3 hours from his side of the bed. Then walks out the door down the dark stairs out of shot. There is a huge scream as if she woke up, and found herself there. He wakes and runs to find if she's ok. You hear another scream and a yelp, and then u see his lifeless body thrown up the stairs towards the camera. She then calmy walks back up, her shirt covered in blood, and sort of sniffs over the dead body, then lunges at the camera. You can see for a second her face is sort of distorted and evil as the camera goes black. It then brings up a title card saying that police found the body and the camera. But her location is unknown.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The director is making a "found camera" movie about Area 51 now. 16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

...Oh God roll

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I really hate to admit this... But I just watched it... and I liked it.

The first 25-30 minutes were awful. Just brutal. I almost turned it off several times but decided to rough it out to see if it got better... Okay, I didn't rough it, I fast forwarded to the first bedroom scene... And a little after that.

But I liked the second half. It was creepy with some pretty affective suspense. I thought it was much scarier (I wouldn't call it scary, but I can't think of a better word, but they are horror films, so that's what I'm basing it on) than the Blair Witch Project, but the latter had a much, much better cast. The pacing was also much better. The build up was prerfect. They got you right into the story, whereas PA just fucking dragged, repeated itself, had horrible acting and chemistry, and the improvising was lousy. Character development was excrutiatingly bad. I didn't care for either of the characters, unlike Blair Witch, where I cared about all three characters right off the bat and there wasn't a need for a bunch of mundaine "we're real people with average/normal lives" type scenes because you bought their authenticity right away. PA was just boring and flat.

But I loved the subtlety of the bedroom scenes. The build up and execution were very well done. Her being dragged out of bed and the psychic guy leaving the house right when he walked in were highlights. I fast forwarded through the scenes that explained that this "paranormal activity" was something she encoutered all her life, but I ended up not missing much as I put that together as the story progressed. The burning ouji board was stupid, but I enjoyed the end. The pay off was much more satisfying than Blair Witch.

Go ahead, flame away. It was a dumb movie, but in the end, still enjoyable.

2/4 stars.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I've actually considered watching it again now that the craze is over with. However, I thought it was a steaming pile of shit and I don't really see the passage of time changing my opinion.

I do find it interesting you had to fast forward through the film several times to find it enjoyable. Such actions usually don't define a good film....

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Lofton's right. Good movies don't equate to having to fast forward through parts.

Hell, I could turn Halloween II-2009 into a good film if I just fast forwarded to the good parts. It has a couple.

Board footer