You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: The 'Lost' GNR Album from '96

Axl S wrote:

I was only joking. Sheesh. Just as soon as you mentioned his talent I felt that video was humorously appropriate.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Axl S wrote:

I was only joking. Sheesh. Just as soon as you mentioned his talent I felt that video was humorously appropriate.

So was I! Clearly he's deficient in some areas... but hey, at least he's willing to learn. And stick the whole process up on YouTube, thus making an ass of himself in front of millions. big_smile

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Slash clearly has a bit of an ego on him - God forbid that anyone should attempt to share the limelight with him, even if they're a more talented/technically skilled guitarist. Witness the big spat with Axl over sharing lead duties with Zakk Wylde ("like a giant snake fighting a T-Rex"). Or the Slash and Friends gig, where John 5, for Christ's sake, was stuck on rhythm.

As far as the John 5 thing...  It was a Slash gig.  I would assume any time Slash wasn't soloing 99% of the audience was saying why the hell is this other dude soloing.  That's what I thought when I saw Clapton and his other guitar player was soloing.  Not that John 5 isn't good, but he was there for a specific purpose.

I think even Zakk said that it wouldn't have worked with him because it was two lead guys going at it.  It would end up sounding like a train wreck a lot of the time.  Other times it would be fantastic, but I don't know that it would have worked from a songwriting standpoint. 

I have always thought Slash's feelings for Huge/Tobias came from the way it all came about.  Axl got rid of Gilby and brought his boy in, and didnt' really seem to give a damn what anyone else(the guys who have to rehearse with him every day) thought.

If you wanted to continue GNR as it was, I don't think you could have come up with a better replacement for Izzy than Gilby.  They have very similiar influences and styles.  It's obvious that Axl didn't really want to continue GNR as it was though, he had other things in mind.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I think they both bear some responsibility for how things turned out - Axl shouldn't have dumped Gilby for Huge without consulting the other guys, and certainly shouldn't have added Huge's licks to Slash's Sympathy solo... but conversely, Slash clearly has a bit of an ego thing going on.

It isn't just the Slash & Friends gig - at every Camp Freddy show he turns up for, he unceremoniously boots Navarro into the background so he can do his Big Solo. From GN'R through to Velvet Revolver, he doesn't let his second guitarist hog the limelight for a second - the only solo spots I can recall are Izzy's Nightrain solo and Kushner's trading licks with Slash on the live outro to Set Me Free (which, incidentally, makes a mockery of Slash's claim that the Sympathy call-and-response licks were "cheesy").

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I can totally understand Slash. He felt he was an equal member of the band, then Axl started his late shows, no shows, riots and dictatorship. Axl fired Gilby without Slash's approval. Then Axl signed the Symapthy contract which Slash didn't want to do, Axl didn't go to the studio in the said time, but when the players left, he cam with his buddy Tobias, who played extra guitars - without Slash's approval again. No surprise Slash was pissed off.

On the other hand just imagine what Axl has done if Slash brought in a different singer, or just another keyboard player. Damn, even Izzy left Hollywood Rose, when Axl brought in Slash without telling him about it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Gilby's Cure Me or Kill Me would have been a killer starting point for a new record. We now know Axl was not interested in Gilby, but he should have made Gilby keep that in GNR circles for a year or so and see if the track inspired Axl on some level. I love the song as is, but it just begs for Axl to be singing it.

Anyone who doubts or wonders about Gilby's abilities to write music really need to listen to Pawnshop Guitars.

It's a fantastic album. Gilby and Izzy are the only former members from the early era of Guns N' Roses that are able to make decent solo efforts.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

^^^

Agreed. I don't understand the hate. Pawnshop is a solid album.

Board footer