You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Re: How far for GNR?

Gagarin wrote:

Here's the thing...

In 2002 I was a freshman in college. When the 2002 tour hit, I should have made the trip to Chicago for that show. (I was at the U of I in Urbana-Champaign). I figured they'd come around again soon enough - maybe even play at Assembly Hall. I was wrong.

So when 2006 happened I made damn sure I went. I never knew if I'd be able to see Axl again. I may have had to wait till 11 to see them go on, and i may have had to wait till 3 AM before I left the parking lot, and I may have only gotten back to my house in Urbana at 7, only to have an all day work meeting at 9 AM, but I made sure I was there because it was worth it.

I wouldn't fly to Japan (I couldn't afford it, even if Elvis was doing a duet on Soul Monster). But I'm willing to pay the going rate of concerts and travel a few hours in my state. That's in the realm of sanity and my economic reality.

If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. If you don't want to "see the same show", then ... post on Internet forums, or whatever. I haven't gone to many concerts, so if a band I actually like is playing, I'm going to make that choice. Many of you like MANY bands, many of them who are actually doing gigs, andf that's great, but Axl is a special thing for me and many others. I'm not going to miss out because of the stupid setlist, or some "principle" of the matter, or because I feel like I should get a LIVE rockshow for less than the price of an evening at the movies.

So don't say stupid things like "only if it was 25 dollars", because you can't even go to a movie and get popcorn for that. You can't even buy a concert DVD for that. Just don't be ridiculous. The price I paid in 2006 was reasonable. The distance I drove is what I'd expect living in Central IL. If the tickets were 200 dollars, then I think I'd have to pass or try and wait until they cut prices - that's another story, I couldn't afford 200 easily. But the shows were NOT that expensive, at least not in my market.

So please quit the "I wouldn't go unless Axl served me pizza and wrote an apology note to Slash on stage, and then had a 2-for-1 ticket deal, and was entered to win a Nintendo Wii with the purchase of the ticket" crap. Go, or don't go, just don't be HIGH when posturing.

I have many friends in LA. If they played a show there, and I could get tickets, I would make a 2-for-1 trip out of it. So I guess that's as far as I'd go.

Sky Dog wrote:

some people simply do not like the new band and some people on this board don't even like the "new" Axl-anything post SI. They won't pay for a show at any price if they don't like anyone in the band....much less travel for it. hmm

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

There's some longtime fans, that have spanned generations of boards on here, telling you they are done with the band, and have no interest in seeing 'fake' GN'R live again, and if they did, it'd have to be cheap, across the street, and for Axl only.

That's everything that i've been trying to convey a point about for the last several months.

But so what? We get it dude. Some old fans don't like the band anymore. That's like saying some people who travel overseas will get food poisioning. It happens over time, and it happens when bands go through a lot of changes.

I look at this GNR and I see a vastly different band than the band I loved in 1988, but you know what, I don't care, its a different thing but I enjoy it for what it is. Just like my new girlfriend isn't my old girlfriend..:D

Would I love the AFD line up to come to my house and play AFD over a few beers, hell yeah, but that's not going to stop me enjoying Bumble and Ashba tear up the guitars ripping  the shit out of those same classics and Chinese Democracy! Bring that shit on...:mosh:

agreed. I am 33. Slash is the reason I picked up the guitar and If I had to pick between the way it is now and the way it was before '94 I'd pick the latter for every reason already listed. but Axl went his seperate way and the rest of the band did the same and Axl and friends put out a solid cd and the '06 show in minneapolis was amazing. The biggest gripe I have with the current arrangment is the lack of studio material which results in the appetite-heavy shows but there is something special about seeing axl perform live that over shadows everything that i dislike about the band. I can only hope for a more cd-heavy set list the next time i see gnr live just like I can only hope for more studio releases along the way but, either way, if "FakeGNR" comes to minneapolis again I'm fucking goin.

maguire22
 Rep: 11 

maguire22 wrote:

Whoa thanks dudes for replying, i thought this topic would crumple at the knees, so respect to all who've laid out their GnR plans!

A few replies, below...  cool

Olorin wrote:

The venue they played the Glasgow show is 20 minutes from my house by car, but I got drunk and took the scenic route by train. 3 trains actually hmm

THAT is why public transportation can kick the arse out of driving ANY TIME! 16

misterID wrote:

And those losers who complain about late shows because they have something stupid like jobs and kids and shit.... What a bunch of un-rock n roll assholes, huh wink

Last this idiot (aka ME!!) knew, GNR don't play live that much. Maybe time to find an overnight babysitter...? hmm

Olorin wrote:

We're pretty lucky in the UK cause its relatively small, you dont really have to travel very far to get anywhere in the country. Even travelling the length of the island is only a day long drive.

Yup! 22 22 22

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It's nice that everyone likes the current GN'R, and claims cash flow issues...

Somehow, me thinks if it were a reunited GN'R, you'd sell your first born to be there.

Just sayin'. I'm sure i'll be told how wrong I am.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
maguire22 wrote:
misterID wrote:

And those losers who complain about late shows because they have something stupid like jobs and kids and shit.... What a bunch of un-rock n roll assholes, huh wink

Last this idiot (aka ME!!) knew, GNR don't play live that much. Maybe time to find an overnight babysitter...?

You shouldn't have to take a vacation day from work so you can go see a concert across the street the night before.  If you have to go further it just compounds that.

If they were putting on Springsteen 3-4 hour shows fine, but to make people sit for 3 hours after your opening act plays is ridiculous and disrespectful to your fans-- A.K.A. customers.   It baffles me that some people don't see this as just horrible and bush league.

Axlin08 wrote:

It's nice that everyone likes the current GN'R, and claims cash flow issues...

Somehow, me thinks if it were a reunited GN'R, you'd sell your first born to be there.

Just sayin'. I'm sure i'll be told how wrong I am.

For me the rules would definitely change for reunion shows, but it still would come down to a cashflow issue.  As much as I'd want to see it, I can't fly to NYC and spend $300 for tickets for any show.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Well i'm not talking about literally going out of your way (like you live in Miami, and have to go to NYC) sort of thing.

I'm talking about these people that have a legit venue within an hour, and would start arguing semantics over $30 bucks.

ONLY with the new band. Old band, people wouldn't just pay the extra, but would throw another $30 on it.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i would never under any circumsances pay scalper prices on any show, if the boxoffice sells out i dont go...i may spend $100 to see a reunited band, but there is no way i'd shell out more

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I'll pay up to see the new band; I like what they do, they're good musicians and put on a damn good show. Indeed, I actually prefer their take on the old GN'R material (and I'm a little bummed that Robin's out of the band).

Having said that, if Axl and Slash were playing a gig together, I would move heaven and Earth to be there. I missed out during the 80s and 90s, never got to see them live. sad

Axlin08 wrote:

I'm sure i'll be told how wrong I am.

Well... I can't speak on anyone others behalf but I sure wouldn't.

Hell, I would not even go.

Board footer