You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: GNR Sued For Copying Songs

Olorin wrote:

I thought the figure touted on forums was much less, I cant remember.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

Intresting...

http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/47703

Guns N' Roses have denied they have sampled songs after being hit with a $1million lawsuit last week.

Legal papers claim that the band illegally copied songs from Ulrich Schnauss which ended up on their last album, 'Chinese Democracy', but the band are now challenging those accusations.

"Guns N' Roses vigorously contests these claims and intends to respond accordingly," the band’s manager Irving Azoff said in a statement. "The band believed when the record came out and still believes that there are no unauthorised samples on the track."

The songs in question by the German electronic musician Ulrich Schnauss, were apparently sampled on the song 'Riad N' The Bedouins' and Schnauss' attorney told Rolling Stone that Guns N' Roses had no clearance to use them.

"The band and the record company are ultimately responsible for copyright infringement," suggested Brian Caplan, Schnauss' attorney. "I can tell you that there is no paper trail authorising the use of these songs and nobody from the plaintiff's side authorised the use of this song."

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

in any case the parts in question are in no way a major part ofthe song...nothing more than a lead in, but i realize thats no the point here

i found something interesting, universal was the distributer for in a starngely isolated place in 2003 (the year of release) in 2004 and 5 Domino USA seems to be the distributer, and they have artists like Franz Ferdinand and arctic monkeys

still there is that universal music connection in 2003

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Ulrich+Schnauss

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Lucky they didn't use the superman intro to scraped

I bet you there are a 1001 alternative samples in different mixes in the vault, Axl just happened to agree on one that was not an original.

I still find it pathetic that nothing has been said about the tour

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

^ what tour

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The forums aren't "freaking out". They're just finally able to discuss something concrete on a band that never does anything. We're in October, and this is the biggest thing to happen the entire year. Says more about the band itself than it does the fan boards.

Don't blame fan boards for band inactivity. The buck doesn't stop here.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

Man, Riad is a kickass tune! Its a real shame that such a irrelevant couple of seconds on the album is causing such a stoosie.

It would be pretty funny if it was Fernando who brought it in... 16

James

James wrote:

Riad N' The Bedouins
I have a swiped sample and they thought they'd win
But I don't give a fuck bout Ulrich
Cause I am crazy

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The forums aren't "freaking out". They're just finally able to discuss something concrete on a band that never does anything. We're in October, and this is the biggest thing to happen the entire year. Says more about the band itself than it does the fan boards.

Fine let me adjust my statement, the boards are in constant freak out mode when the band is inactive.  There, sounds about right.

James

James wrote:
faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Fine let me adjust my statement, the boards are in constant freak out mode when the band is inactive.  There, sounds about right.

Again....

No one is freaking out. The boards are simply discussing the first tidbit of real news to come along in a coon's age. Not sure how that can be interpreted as freaking out.

Are they freaking out over on HTGTH or something? Only boards I've looked at since this occurred are here and mygnr, and I haven't seen any freaking out.

Rye Rye announced the birth of her daughter last week. I told her congrats and wished her and her baby well. In other words, I "freaked out".

My mom freaked out a few days ago when she called wanting my recipe for miniature pizzas. I freaked out by giving it to her.

See, I freak out in other places besides GNR boards. tongue

Board footer