You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: 'Dallas' to be revived on TNT network

Axlin16 wrote:

Dallas was more rooted and story and wrote from a male perspective. It's not nearly as glitz and glamour as Dynasty.

Dynasty looks hokey compared to today. Dallas holds up, because the stories at their core are still totally relevant. Especially the oil industry stuff.

Dallas kind of lost itself in the mid-80's around Seasons 7-9 (1983-1986). It was feeling the pressure to keep up with Dynasty which was starting to beat it in the ratings with all of the over-indulgent 80's excess. Miami Vice was another that was turning the pressure on.

Dallas reacting by involving more female-stories, brought some Knots Landing writers over, and turned the glamour up to Volume 11. The show lost it's spirit a bit, and by the infamous dream season 9 (1985-86), the show had basically turned into "Dynasty in a cowboy hat". Ultimately the original producer was not too happy, and that's why the dream season was made a dream. When Season 10 came back, the original Dallas spirit was restored, and the past year erased to get rid of all that crap.

Dallas is SUCH a long series that it is definitely a show that if you expect to make ANY progress, you're gonna have to sit down and watch hours and hours at a time, otherwise it'd take you a couple years to get through it all. There's 14 original seasons, and a 15th if you count the newest one.

I'd recommend it, but if you're looking for Dynasty you might be disappointed. If you want that, you might want to try Falcon Crest.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Lol, Falcon Crest, yeah I remember that one too. Felt closer to Days of our lives or something.

No, not looking for Dynasty. Just assumed Dallas would be similar, although better written and acted. Thanks for the writeup.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I finally got caught up with the new season. Decent start, I think the show is a bit too plot-driven right now. The guy that plays John Ross has gotten alot better, and his relationship with Pamela is a fantastic twist. The two of them are GREAT together as schemers. Think of that, in some universe J.R. Ewing III and Pamela Barnes are fucking daily. How messed up is that? J.R.'s son & Cliff's daughter gettin' it on. The two of them as actors are great together and they have great chemistry. Hopefuly they continue to play it up.

Unfortunately though the Christopher/Pamela angle has fallen flat. The Ann Ewing/murder/daughter/Judith Light family angle is just weak and pointless, and seems to just exist as a platform to give Bobby something to do. It hasn't been handled all that well.

J.R. seems to be rather missing, but when he is on screen seemingly more as "just there", and explodes on every frame he's on. He's only got a couple episodes left before "so long J.R. Ewing", which will be TOUGH to get through.

Right now the show is just too plot-driven. It's twist after twist, angle after angle, and it seems to be going out of it's way to try to compete with newer shows like ABC's "Revenge". Unfortunately character development has been lost. We don't know what John Ross' & Pamela's motivations are, and Christopher & Elena have become boring and one-note. Throwback Bobby & Pam they aren't. The show might need tweaking in that department. Where are the the pool side swims? Where are the morning breakfasts on the patio? Where are the Ewing BBQ's? These little things would go a long way in developing the characters.

Either way, that's the DALLAS update.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Ratings were kinda down for the series first few episodes, and TNT kinda were watching.

Dallas is kinda of a pilot-project for TNT to branch into prime-time slots (something they haven't done in years past). Dallas was TNT's highest-rated show last year, and TNT primarily sticks to summer time, which is their strongpoint with shows like Dallas, Major Crimes & Falling Skies. But it was decided to bring back Dallas in January, and see if TNT could ride it's ratings into putting shows on in prime-time during the standard TV season and see what happens.

Initially ratings were way down, but they bottomed, and have risen each week since, which is a good sign.

Sadly, Larry's scenes have come to an end. He's supposed to have a brief cameo in tonight's episode, but it's a discarded cutting room floor scene originally scrapped that they decided to throw in to extend his scenes.

UNLESS... there's a "rabbit in the hat" scene unspoken of, supposedly last week's stuff with Larry was it. It was nice to see him going out, forgiving John Ross and supporting the family. Despite him "leaning" on walls and sitting down, you wouldn't have thought he would be dead soon in those scenes.

Personally i'm still enjoying the show. I think if Harris Ryland (Mitch Pilleggi) teamed up with Cliff Barnes, that would be an awesome twist that would mean absolute war for the Ewings. It'd also open up the door to bring back Gary and/or Ray Ewing, and some older male faces from the past to pick up the slack left by the hole of a missing/dead J.R. Ewing.

Ann Ewing's storyline is boring and a total fail. WAY too much time as been spent with her and trying to let the audience know her and her past, when we don't even know what's going on with the old faces first. Why and how did Cliff Barnes become the new Jeremy Wendell (basically pure evil). What happened to Sue Ellen's previous marriage to Don Lockwood (Deadwood's Ian McShane back in the day)? Stuff like that.

John Ross & Pamela Rebecca has been an awesome writing setup that should be played to the hilt. They're great together and it's pissing off their fathers, plus it just adds to the Barnes/Ewing feud. Christopher Ewing has become a bore, despite him being good at being Bobby's child. Metcalfe doesn't play the role with the same vunerability or baggage that Patrick Duffy was good a playing Bobby as, which leaves Christopher as one-dimensional. Elena is also just window dressing. Doesn't do anything, and just stands around looking pretty.

I still am fascinated to see where it goes. I'm bored with the Ann Ewing character, but the Ryland family has turned out to be the most interesting new group of people on the show, thanks mainly to the charisma of Mitch Pilleggi & Judith Light. With J.R. gone, the show is gonna need more Bobby, and possibly even Gary or Ray. I'd like to see Bobby & Ann breakup, and go with that dynamic for awhile. Maybe even open the door for a Pam return (if she's still alive in the show).

Oh, and one more thing with J.R. coming to an end... can we PLEASE have more Cliff Barnes on the show? Ken Kercheval has been an understated, underused, EVIL son of a bitch on the show. He should be on their constantly. So good, and underrated because overshadowed by J.R. being there.

Either way, it's sad to see J.R. coming to an end. His "death" episode is supposed to be in the next couple of weeks, Episode 8. Still, again ... RIP Mr. Hagman.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

The Ann Ewing/murder/daughter/Judith Light family angle is just weak and pointless, and seems to just exist as a platform to give Bobby something to do. It hasn't been handled all that well.

Yes, this plotline is annoying and it just keeps dragging on.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

btw, here's the promo for next week's episode

Gary is back, and J.R. well...

I love the Jock line "real power is something you take" being thrown in there. I doubt J.R. is actually in the episode beyond a clip or two, but obviously the John Ross bit at the end is J.R. getting killed... however that is we'll see.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

'Dallas' funeral for J.R. honors Larry Hagman
by Frazier Moore / AP

add21f7cfbd27c072b0f6a706700348f.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) — Who killed J.R.?

That's the mystery propelling "Dallas" through the rest of its second season as a TNT revival.

And that question hangs heavy in the upcoming episode (airing Monday at 9 p.m. EDT), which confirms the sad truth every viewer knew was coming: glorious scoundrel J.R. Ewing has died, after decades of living-on-the-edge infamy dating back at least to 1980, when he was gunned down in his office and left for dead, with "Who shot J.R.?" the question on every viewer's lips for months afterward.

J.R.'s fate was sealed this time by the intrusion of reality. In November, Larry Hagman died of cancer at 81. And when he died, he took J.R. with him.

So the new episode — surely the first without Hagman's deliciously vile presence — stands as a fitting tribute both to him and to J.R., complete with a wake and a funeral for the rascally oil baron. Even the oh-so-familiar theme music is rearranged from its quickstep tempo to a dirge. The message of this episode, titled "J.R.'s Masterpiece": J.R. is gone but not forgotten.

Last Monday's episode featured the last, brief appearances by a visibly frail Hagman. There were three isolated scenes with J.R., who for reasons unknown had gone missing from Dallas. But the action mostly swirled among the other characters as they squabbled over Ewing Energies, which has pitted cousins John Ross (played by Josh Henderson) and Christopher (Jesse Metcalfe) in a battle for its control.

In his final scene, near the end of the hour, J.R. was glimpsed at an undisclosed location on the phone with John Ross.

"Don't you worry, son, I've got a plan," J.R. told him. "It's gonna be my masterpiece. Because you shouldn't have to pay for my sins."

"What do you mean?" asked John Ross, struck by J.R.'s rare show of tenderness.

"Just remember, I'm proud of you," said J.R., as John Ross' eyes moistened. "You're my son, from tip to tail."

But at that moment, John Ross heard gunshots. He screamed into the phone, "Dad! Dad!"

Who shot J.R.?

"I need to know who killed my father, and why!" snaps John Ross in the new episode.

Sue Ellen, his mother and J.R.'s long-suffering ex-wife (played by Linda Gray), hoists a Dallas directory and reminds him, "Half the people in this phone book wanted to."

Yes, J.R. had legions of enemies with scores to settle. But who among them did the deed? And why did J.R.'s time run out, in all places, in a room at a Mexican flophouse?

His memorial takes place at the Dallas Petroleum Club, where high-powered mourners flock to bid him farewell.

Here are real-life local swells including Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.

Here are "Dallas" characters from way back including former wild child Lucy (Charlene Tilton), J.R.'s niece; Ray Krebbs (Steve Kanaly), the illegitimate son of J.R.'s father; and Gary (Ted Shackelford), the "black sheep" brother who left Dallas for a long life on series spinoff "Knots Landing."

But the embittered John Ross isn't buying that any of the gathered have a kind thought for his father: "Half these people are here to make sure he's dead. The other half are here for the free drinks."

Then decorum is shattered by Cliff Barnes, the Ewings' archenemy (played by Ken Kercheval), who storms into the room and tells J.R.'s brother Bobby, "Since you lost your junkyard dog, there's nothing to keep me from taking your family down."

Is it any wonder a brawl erupts?

The next day, J.R. is mourned at a private graveside service.

Several of the principals speak, and, hearing them, it would be hard for any "Dallas" devotee not to grieve the loss of Larry Hagman, nor to wonder if some of the actors' sorrowful display comes from genuinely missing their fallen cast mate.

Among them is Sue Ellen, who tearfully reveals a letter she has just received from J.R. that begs her for a second chance: "When I get back to Dallas, will you have dinner with me?"

It also turns out J.R. left behind another letter, this one addressed to Bobby (Patrick Duffy).

But what that letter reveals, Bobby isn't saying — not to his family nor, God forbid, the audience.

"I knew you'd have at least one more (trick) left up your sleeve, J.R.," Bobby murmurs later, alone, as he knocks back bourbons poured from J.R.'s own decanter. "And it's a good one."

The task for "Dallas" to outlive J.R. Ewing is huge. Rest in peace, Larry Hagman. But there better be no peace on this show in J.R.'s absence if it hopes to survive its magnificent villain.

___

Online:

http://www.tntdrama.com

___

Frazier Moore is a national television columnist for The Associated Press. He can be reached at fmoore(at)ap.org and at http://www.twitter.com/tvfrazier

Dallas-funeral-630-jpg_012731.jpg

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Promo for Monday's funeral episode

God, man that's tough. RIP Larry, J.R. will never die. Not if i've got anything to say about it.

SPOILER VIDEO. J.R.'s death on the series, in case you're interest. Hagman got to go out like any actor dreams of. As a main player who got to film his own death, even though he was actually dying. Wow, you couldn't write it any better. Fast forward to mark 3:15 to see Larry's final scenes as J.R.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I recently have learned now that "Dallas" producers are doing press rounds promoting J.R.'s funeral episode, airing tonight on TNT, that Larry didn't in fact film any new stuff in Episode 7. In fact, his final scenes were indeed in Episode 5. Which for anyone that watched, you could tell. His final poignant speaking scene was a "I forgive you for selling me out to Cliff Barnes" speech he gave John Ross in a court bathroom at the behest of Sue Ellen. Larry was still classic J.R., but he looked terrible. Severelyl gaunt, and VERY sick. He had to lean on the bathroom stall just to stand up. You knew watching, these were his final scenes that he filmed before he went down.

What's even more amazing is that the producers were able to cobble together new scenes with Larry from old stock footage from Seasons 1 & 2 of the new show, including manipulating dialogue in the studio from past takes, to piece together sentences that actually flowed with the scenes and made it seem like Larry had filmed new scenes. His final death scene was actually filmed at Southfork, but the backdrop was switched using CGI to make J.R. looked like he was in a Mexican hotel room, and was manipulated to sound like new dialogue with John Ross, including his final goodbye before being shot.

Normally I keep reveals like this kinda secret because it takes away from the fun, but seriously WOW. They made it flow so seemless last episode that it seemed like Larry had filmed new, or old scenes that were hidden away in a vault. Instead it was just stock footage retooled. What a helluva job they did.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Tonight's the night / RIP John Ross "J.R." Ewing, Jr.

'Dallas' producers talk J.R. Ewing sendoff: We wanted to do right by our friend
by Access Hollywood

184156.jpg

Larry Hagman's J.R. Ewing has long been thought of as the greatest television villain of all time, but on Monday night's "Dallas," on TNT, the show will lay the iconic character to rest.

"So much of Larry himself was J.R. -- removing the bad part," show executive producer Cynthia Cidre told AccessHollywood.com . "That kind of fun loving guy, which he brought to the part of J.R., was the real Larry Hagman, and so it was a little bit surreal that we were writing and shooting an episode about a fictional character's death at the same time as the actor [who had played him had] died."

A television legend, Larry passed away in November 2012 in Dallas, Texas, while he was still in production on Season 2 of the show. Fans watching Monday night's episode will hear eulogies for the character of J.R., which also -- in a way -- serve as a sort of public eulogy for the late actor.

"A lot of what was said [in the episode], I think fits both people. It fits the fictional character and Larry, and so the actors who also knew Larry are kind of doing a like a parallel funeral for both actor and character," she said.

The episode will definitely be a tearjerker, provide a few laughs and a few familiar faces from the previous incarnation of "Dallas." It also continues a brand new "Who shot J.R.?" mystery, which kicked off at the end of last week's episode when John Ross Ewing (Josh Henderson) heard shots fired while he was talking to his father on the phone.

Cynthia Cidre and fellow executive producer Mike Robin spoke with AccessHollywood.com about what to expect in tonight's big, big episode, airing at 9/8c on TNT.

AccessHollywood.com: We have a new 'Who shot J.R.?' mystery. Was that the only fitting way to send off that character?

Cynthia Cidre: We thought so. Believe me, this was well thought out by the time we arrived at this conclusion. There were two ways to go - either J.R. died of natural causes, which seemed inordinately boring and not appropriate to the show or the character, or he died of unnatural causes, at which time you examine, he fell of a building, a helicopter blew up... There's endless numbers of these and... you come full circle to the point where you then decide to do homage to what happened originally, and then you try to do it one better. That's how we got back to who shot J.R.

Access: You changed the theme music for this episode - it's warm, it's beautiful. Whose idea was that? Is it a new recording?

Cynthia: It was Mike's idea... We were watching the teaser and the teaser was very somber and... and we were both crying. And then the music, our regular theme music started and it was so jarring, and happy and bright. Mike was like, 'No! No! No! That's wrong, let's send it to our composer and see what he can come up with.'

Mike Robin: Rob Cairns is our composer and I said, 'Rob, this is too major. This cannot be happy. [This] needs to be minor, and it needs to be slower and it needs to be a tribute.' And he was like, 'Got it,' and two hours later he sent it back and it was like perfect.

Access: What can you hint about the wake and funeral - J.R was loved, but he had enemies and he did some dirty things. So there's some darkness?

Cynthia: It tries to hit at all the levels of who J.R. was, so yes, there are people who hated him, everyone thought he was bigger than life. As often happens when someone dies, you kind of forget the bad things and just remember the good things, so there's a lot of reminiscing from old wives and girlfriends and mistresses about who he was. I think all of the above is there.

Access: Despite having to do so under hard circumstances, this must have been fun to write and be able to pay tribute to the character of J.R. in so many different ways.

Cynthia: We have more fun in the writer's room then I can possibly communicate. It's a group of people who are respectful to the show and who treat it seriously and at the same time humorously. And... we want to say about J.R., no matter what he did, he was a family man and that appealed to me [even] in the pilot that when the Ewings were not eating each other up, that they would always come together when there was a greater enemy. And so that's the case, I think, in this episode is they come together as a family, as he did, to protect each other.

Access: How hard was it for Linda Gray and Patrick Duffy -- on the day -- to film the J.R. Ewing funeral?

Mike: They would show up and they knew that they wanted to do right by their friend in terms of honoring him and honoring his character and so they worked so hard and they went to the emotional depths that [viewers will see on Monday night]. I mean that was an interesting thing. So much of that was real. After certain scenes, like when Linda [filmed her part at the] funeral... she says to me, 'That was so hard.' But it was very real. [After shooting Patrick's moment,] I said, 'I think we did well,' and he said, 'Yeah, I think he'd be happy.' Everybody that was involved in it, literally, that was what we were trying to do is, trying to feel that we did right by our friend Larry Hagman.

"Dallas" airs at 9/8c on TNT.

-- Jolie Lash

Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Board footer