You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

Re: To be, or not to be an expat... that is the question

TheMole wrote:

So, the company I'm working for is about to file for bankruptcy. Luckily, here in Belgium, we have a new law that allows "innovative technology" companies to sell certain assets before the actual bankruptcy settles in, to allow the tech to live on. In our case this means IPR, know-how and employee contracts, so I've got a new job for (at least) the same conditions if I want it.

Now, the company that is bidding for our assets is a large Belgian multinational (Option International) so going from a start-up to that is a good deal, but they seem to be running into some financial problems themselves lately. To make it somewhat concrete, they are the company that build the new Sidekick that T-Mobile took off the market yesterday because of the fuck-up by Microsoft/Danger.

In addition to that, their largest competitor, an American/Canadian company (Sierra Wireless), is quite interested in my services as an employee. This would mean that I would have to move to either North America (Vancouver, Silicon Valley or San Diego) or France (Toulouse or Paris). They are currently putting together an offer for both options, so the financial and practical stuff surrounding it is a little hazy for the moment.

So as it stands, my current options are:
  1. Stay in Belgium, work for Option
  2. Move to France, come home for the week-ends, work for Sierra
  3. Move to North America for a couple of years, come home for the holidays, work for Sierra

Question to all you Americans and Canadians on here: any experience with living in Vancouver, the Valley (San Jose, I guess) or San Diego? Things I need to know about those places that might persuade my one way or the other?

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

I've never lived in either place, but if you like winter sports, they've got the olympics in February.  That and lots and lots of drugs.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

James lives near San Jose somewhat he could tell you more. I think it's expensive, but very high tech area. Many companies are located there (Adobe, yahoo, Google etc). San Diego is beautiful, sunny all year round. Also expensive though, but I'm sure you'd get paid well so I wouldn't let that deter you from either area.

My cousin was sent to Australia about 10 years ago for 6 months. He didn't really want to go, but he was one of the few young & single people there. He went, loved it, stayed another 6 months, stayed another year, then a 3rd year until finally his visa expired. I would do it. San Diego seems a little too Laguna Beach/The Hills for me, isn't really my thing. I think I'd get annoyed. If you love the beach though, that's for you. I love it, for about a week in Jersey then I'm good for the year. Silicon Valley is near Lake Tahoe for skiing & boarding, which is a beautiful area if you like winter sports. As BS said, Vancouvers a nice town too, I don't know much about it but hear it's great.

TheMole

TheMole wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

James lives near San Jose somewhat he could tell you more. I think it's expensive, but very high tech area. Many companies are located there (Adobe, yahoo, Google etc). San Diego is beautiful, sunny all year round. Also expensive though, but I'm sure you'd get paid well so I wouldn't let that deter you from either area.

My cousin was sent to Australia about 10 years ago for 6 months. He didn't really want to go, but he was one of the few young & single people there. He went, loved it, stayed another 6 months, stayed another year, then a 3rd year until finally his visa expired. I would do it. San Diego seems a little too Laguna Beach/The Hills for me, isn't really my thing. I think I'd get annoyed. If you love the beach though, that's for you. I love it, for about a week in Jersey then I'm good for the year. Silicon Valley is near Lake Tahoe for skiing & boarding, which is a beautiful area if you like winter sports. As BS said, Vancouvers a nice town too, I don't know much about it but hear it's great.

Yeah, I guess I would've jumped at the opportunity to go to Silicon Valley a couple of years ago, but I've just turned 30 this year and I'm single again for the first time in 6 years. I probably wouldn't be going to the States or Canada for a short period of time, I would actually start working for an American company so that seems rather indefinite to me. Suppose I do this for 4 or 5 years, that makes me 35 by the time I'm back and ready to start settling down and start a family...
But on the other hand, if I don't do it know that I've got the chance I'll probably never do it and might end up regretting it later on...

Can anyone tell me about the tax situation in California (I guess this is a state-specific thing) or Canada? On average, how much do you lose going from your gross to net salary?

TheMole

TheMole wrote:
Backslash wrote:

I've never lived in either place, but if you like winter sports, they've got the olympics in February.  That and lots and lots of drugs.

I heard it was a liberal place smile. I get the impression that Vancouver is a bit more "posh" than the mid-west, dunno... keep hearing very good things about it though.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I'm pretty sure California has the highest personal income tax in the US, as well as the highest sales tax rate. They have had major economic struggles, and despite Arnie's best efforts, continue to struggle. However, I think the US has significantly lower personal income taxes than Belgium. Can anyone verify or correct what I just said there? I'm not certaina bout any of it.

On the plus side, weed is practically legal there. So there's that.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

CC is right. While California is probably one of the best states to live in(well, it used to be), the tax rates are the highest in the nation. On EVERYTHING. If you are a drug user, welcome to heaven. Its everywhere. Economy is in the toilet though, and will probably take many years to recover. I'm actually surprised you're being offered a job here. 16

Never lived in San Jose, but been there quite a few times over the years and its definitely a nice area. You're a hop, skip, and a jump from just about everything.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I have just a few comments for them.  Forgetting about the financials for a minute, I think the basic question is  whether or not you're happy in Belgium right now.  If the answer is yes, I would just stay there.  However, if you want to just experiment and live vicariously I would go for it.  The second part is picking a city--have you ever been to any of the French cities you mentioned?  Paris  has the advantage of using the same currency (euro) and excellent transportation options.  OTOH, the French can be a bit stuffy.

Honestly,I would actually consider Vancouver over the US options.  It is a clean city with a youthful population and good transportation options.  There are also outdoor options and nightlife.  The climate isn't too extreme in either direction--hot or cold.  There is universal health care and it is close to several major cities in the Northwest--Portland and Seattle.  They are also hosting the Winter Olympics next year.

Whatever decision you make, good luck and have fun.

TheMole

TheMole wrote:

Yeah, San Diego is probably not an option, to be honest. It's not something I can put my finger on, but I haven't heard anyone actually recommend the place smile.

Silicon Valley is tempting based on it's reputation in the industry alone. If you can put employment for a tech company in Silicon Valley (especially in a project manager type role) on your CV that's a big boost for the rest of your career. Especially in Europe. Tax and cost of living does play a big role though, I'm not leaving Belgium to spend the extra dollars I can earn on day-to-day life in the States. I need to be able to put a reasonable amount of that aside for when I return. And the current position of the USD is not really helping me in that regard. I think 1USD is about 0.68EUR these days. When you consider that an average home (in the countryside) in Belgium costs around €350.000 ($520.000) these days, that gives you an idea of what I need to be earning to make this a sweet deal.

Vancouver just seems like it's an extremely cool place to live. A bit more "European" than California I would guess, lots of young people and like you say Slashfro, the universal health care is a big plus as well. People do tell me that I have more of an American attitude (whatever that means). Dunno, Vancouver is definitely tempting and the Northwest is a beautiful region IMHO.

I'll just have to wait and see what the offer holds. I'm not really looking or anxious to leave Belgium, but an adventure like that does seem tempting. Let alone the fact that it's definitely good for my ego that they are willing to recruit and move me just to work for them.

maguire22
 Rep: 11 

maguire22 wrote:
TheMole wrote:

... an adventure like that does seem tempting. Let alone the fact that it's definitely good for my ego that they are willing to recruit and move me just to work for them.

That IS pretty sweet in this economy! 22

I;d go for the adventure I guess, depends what other family ties etc you have, but I;d find an opportunity like that hard to pass up. Hope whatever choice you make works out for ya! 22

Board footer