You are not logged in. Please register or login.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

Re: Tom Waits suggestions

gnfnraxl wrote:

Ok.  I have a vast cd collection and one artist that is missing in my discography is Tom Waits.  Now I do not wish to buy his entire discography.  Any suggestions on which albums I should buy?  Does he have a boxset worthy of having or a best of?  Any help will be appreciated.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

You have come to the right place my friend.  His boxsets are dubious affairs. I would go as far as to say the first album to get from Tom Waits should be Mule Variations, The Heart attack and vine after that Swordfish Trombones and it really doesn't matter what order your listen to his stuff in from there

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

Totally agree that Mule Variations is a fantastic place to start.  It's absolutely fantastic.  I would maybe substitute Small Change after that, but Heart Attack and Vine and Swordfish Trombones are similiar style. 

A big thing to remember with Waits is that the older stuff is closer to straight ahead jazz most of the time, whereas the newer stuff gets really experimental.  Alice and Blood Money for example are two that if you want to get I would suggest listening to before you pay for them.  I like them, but they're pretty different.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

Thanks guys.

Sky Dog wrote:

any good compilations/best of albums?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

This is one of those artists whose discography I need to dive into before I'm dead.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
madagas wrote:

No not really. His discography's ten to cover only one era and he's a few eras at this stage. He does have a live album on the way in a couple of weeks though

jorge76

jorge76 wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:
madagas wrote:

No not really. His discography's ten to cover only one era and he's a few eras at this stage. He does have a live album on the way in a couple of weeks though

Yeah, I think there are a couple "best of the early years" or something like that compilations, but it's not like that would have hits or anything you'll have heard.  So I'd think you're just as well off getting a proper album. 

He has a 3 disc set that came out a few years ago called "Orphans- Bawlers, Brawlers, and Bastards".  I think it's great, but I wouldn't think that would be a great place to start necessarily.  It's separated so the three discs each encompass the spirit of the title  Brawlers-Bluesier/Rockier stuff, Bawlers- ballads/sad stuff, Bastards-Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere.  Some of them were new songs, and some were off compilations/unreleased previously recorded.

Some people suggest it, but I almost never think a box set of any sort is a good place to start on a band, they're usually more for the people that are already hardcore, and "Orphans" is another example of that to me.

I'm really looking forward to that live album.

jorge76

jorge76 wrote:

This live album comes out Tuesday. 

If anybody's interested, you can download an 8 track preview from: http://www.tomwaits.com

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

I'd start with Swordfish Trombones.

Board footer