You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Canadian Tour Openers - Bach and Danko Jones

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:

The thing is the current setlist that gets brought out every show is actually a good setlist by all accounts, it's just its been virtually the same setlist for almost a decade now. Like James said it needs to be mixed up a bit.

Yeah, I'm not really complaining about the quality of the actual set list. While I did bitch years ago about it, I was under the impression that Axl/GNR planned on moving forward like we had been told for years. I am no longer fooled by that and see it for what it is, however I do think they need to not be lazy and actually put some thought into their set list.

The only example I can use since I experienced it is M.I.A. since I saw multiple shows in Frisco in 2007. While I do not have those sets memorized, I can tell you other than Bamboo Banga as the opener and Galang/Bucky Done Gun as the closer, each set was slightly different. Different order each night, and a couple old tracks thrown in on certain nights. Hell, one of those nights she didn't even perform her single that was currently out.

While no one should expect CD in its entirety, they can change things up to the point that you cant know exactly what song is coming up next. For example.....

One night: 2006 set

Second night: A few songs removed with Riad, Pretty Tied Up, You're Crazy added.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

I hope for an unheard song more than i hope for variety but I welcome both and prepare for neither

James

James wrote:
war wrote:

I hope for an unheard song more than i hope for variety but I welcome both and prepare for neither

There's no reason to perform unheard songs. He has a back catalog consisting of five albums, a couple songs on soundtracks, and a fairly new album to work with. Best case scenario is a couple more songs from CD and/or a few more UYI/TSI tracks performed.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Make that 5 and a half albums James

He has AFD, Lies, UYI 1, UYI 2, TSI and CD

PLUS songs on soundtracks and he could easily throw a new cover or two into the mix if he felt like it.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

although, it's all opinion, you two are dead wrong 16
i'd like to hear a new song, that's my perogative.

objectively speaking....

- This new album will have been toured, arguably, three times

- It's far less popular than the older albums meaning we don't need to hear the whole thing (in other words the demand for cd song will come from the same people that would appreciate a brand new song)

- the older albums have been toured several times over so, despite the continued demand for these from the casual fans, it seems unanimous that they can afford to cut out a few of the older songs.

There's three reasons to perform an unheard song

I'm not saying they have to but you can't convince me that it would be innappropriate to do so

what are they gonna do when/if they release CD2?

CD World Tour #4 ?

one per million copies of cd alledgedly sold

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Now that they've unboxed Baz yet again for this tour, its looking less likely  that I'll be getting my wish that they'd throw everything into promoting the tour and even release a video.
Its looks like the tour promotion will be phoned in just like the "monumental" album campaign was. Here was me hopefull for 2 vids as well, duh 11

They even logged into myspace yesterday and didnt add the tour dates, never mind update gnr.com. Does it really take such a monumental effort to do these things?

Fuck it, I'm off to bed to try revisit the Catcher In The Rye video I saw last night...

James

James wrote:
war wrote:

you two are wrong, although it's all opinion. 16
i'd like to hear a new song, that's my perogative.

objectively speaking....

- This new album will have been toured, arguably, three times already
- It's far less popular than the older albums meaning we don't need to hear the whole thing (in other words the demand for cd would be the same people that would appreciate a brand new song)
- the older albums have been toured several times over

There's three reasons to perform an unheard song

I'm not saying they have to but you can't convince that is innappropriate to do so

what are they gonna do when/if they release CD2?

CD World Tour #4 ?

one per million albums alledgedly sold

Axl has already stated in his last public comment that he doesn't care about a second album. Two things can be pulled from that comment...

1. No new album anytime soon

2. No unheard songs will be performed.

Yeah he has toured behind CD several times, but that's not really a reason to whip out The General. If a new album was on the horizon, you could realistically expect a song or two to be performed from it.

Fans need to have realistic expectations. The bitching was understandable in 2001-07 because he kept saying the band was moving forward with a new beginning. That isn't the case anymore, and the band runs on nostalgia fumes and people need to accept that. As far as I'm concerned, there's no reason to bitch in 2010 about the set list because the pattern was established years ago. Axl, GNR, and the fans were unable to come to terms with the reality.

Its time to come to terms with reality. This band isn't Audioslave. You're going to be reminded of 1987 with a few other songs sprinkled in. Might be a few 1991 bonuses thrown in, might not.

If such a set list bothers you(or anyone), probably shouldn't buy a ticket.

You also get to experience a man in his mid 40s singing 'Youth Gone Wild'.

He isn't catering to people who want to hear Silkworms and The General. We're already there. He has to cater to general audiences who want to hear him and a rotating line up perform Jungle, and if the arena is still sitting empty, bring an act aboard who can fill the rest of the venue.

The sad thing is that it didn't have to be like this. He could have easily charted a new course like Cornell did with Audioslave. Didn't happen, and anyone expecting the band to concentrate on current events is living in an alternate universe that transpired in 2001.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think we should be careful what we wish for, mixing up the set list is cool for fans if you get to go to multiple shows, but when it's a band like GNR, where you get a show, and it could be years before the next, what if *your* show is the one where too many unusual things happen?

I know right now everyone will say they are over AFD, but think of this: Axl comes out and plays the the tracks from the 'live' side of Lies, then the tracks each one of you personally considers to be the "filler" from UYI (a seperate never ending debate!) a couple of other of your non favourite songs then goes home.

Right now on pure novelty it sounds like fun to be there cos we havn't heard those songs in years, but I think you'll be at the show going like "Where's jungle?" etc.

I'm personally hoping for the 2006 sets which are a 'greatest hits' really - except with a little more from CD thrown in. Hopefully twat will be more usual, and i'd really like to hear Rhiad and Scrapped.

But this is the set list from NYC in 2006.....i really don't see the problem...it's lacking maybe a couple of greats from UYI sure...like Civil War etc...but overall...this is a pretty good setlist:

Welcome to the Jungle
It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Better
Live And Let Die
Sweet Child O' Mine
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Madagascar
You Could Be Mine
Street of Dreams
Out Ta Get Me
November Rain,
My Michelle
Chinese Democracy
There was a Time
Patience
I.R.S,
Nightrain
Paradise City

AFD Count = 8
CD Count = 6
UYI = 4
Lies = 1

So i'd like to see maybe loose like 1 of the AFD songs, like My Michelle or Out to Get me for something from Chinese Democracy, and maybe alternate some of the UYI tracks to be stuff like civil war and less of the covers....but overall it's still a good tracklist.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

Yeah, I have no problems with Gunners playing hits, either. Sure, I'd love to see Estranged and Civil War weasel their way in and I hope they play This I Love and Sorry instead of IRS and TWAT, but other than that, I can go either way. If they kept TWAT and axed Live and Let Die, fine. The songs are too consistently good and like monkey said, this is my first GNR concert, it could be my last. Do I really not want to hear them play Jungle live? As far as I'm concerned, if watching Axl Rose perform Jungle or Sweet Child doesn't give you a hard-on no matter how many times you've heard it, you probably should stay home. Is it AFD heavy? Yeah, but it's the greatest rock record of all time!

I think the weakspot of the set list you posted was Live and Let Die... and it's still a great tune.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Lose the covers is one thing I'd like to see. I don't go to a GNR show to see them play LALD or KOHD. I go there to see them play GNR tunes, those covers were ones the old band did for fun, let this band do new covers or their own GNR tunes (i.e. CD tunes) instead of covers. If he feels like throwing in a TSI cover that's different, they never even fucking toured that album and apart from Attitude not a single track on it was ever played regularly.

Board footer