You are not logged in. Please register or login.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

Re: Canadian Tour Openers - Bach and Danko Jones

gnfnraxl wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
Brett wrote:

Just for the record - Danko Jones and Bach are confirmed (their website lists the dates).

Too bad Axl didn't decide to bring the Suicide Girls this time around.

Nah...i disagree...they were entertaining for about 3 or 4 minutes...and they certainly don't add to the people who come to a venue for the show...no one comes because the suicide girls were there.

And seriously...how entertaining can fake stripping be?

A lot more than Baz.  *lol*  But seriously I'm surprised to see just 2 opening acts.

deadsouth
 Rep: 10 

deadsouth wrote:

Danko Jones seem to have an ac/dc complex going.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Brett wrote:

Just for the record - Danko Jones and Bach are confirmed (their website lists the dates).

Yet GNR haven't 16

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
madagas wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Now that they've unboxed Baz yet again for this tour, its looking less likely  that I'll be getting my wish that they'd throw everything into promoting the tour and even release a video.
Its looks like the tour promotion will be phoned in just like the "monumental" album campaign was. Here was me hopefull for 2 vids as well, duh 11

They even logged into myspace yesterday and didnt add the tour dates, never mind update gnr.com. Does it really take such a monumental effort to do these things?

Fuck it, I'm off to bed to try revisit the Catcher In The Rye video I saw last night...

Olorin, your Scottish/Irish drinking ass should have known to not expect anything.

I know my optimism got the better of me 16 I was just tired and cranky last night and needed my nap.

But I suppose a video could still be rolled out, if they save a buck by hiring cheap support acts it could be spent on a better stage show and leave some funds over for promotion.

This I Love would do great over the Christmas holiday season with a nice video.
(Its hard to believe whisky drinkin season is almost upon us again)

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
war wrote:

you two are wrong, although it's all opinion. 16
i'd like to hear a new song, that's my perogative.

objectively speaking....

- This new album will have been toured, arguably, three times already
- It's far less popular than the older albums meaning we don't need to hear the whole thing (in other words the demand for cd would be the same people that would appreciate a brand new song)
- the older albums have been toured several times over

There's three reasons to perform an unheard song

I'm not saying they have to but you can't convince that is innappropriate to do so

what are they gonna do when/if they release CD2?

CD World Tour #4 ?

one per million albums alledgedly sold

Axl has already stated in his last public comment that he doesn't care about a second album. Two things can be pulled from that comment...

1. No new album anytime soon

2. No unheard songs will be performed.

Yeah he has toured behind CD several times, but that's not really a reason to whip out The General. If a new album was on the horizon, you could realistically expect a song or two to be performed from it.

Fans need to have realistic expectations. The bitching was understandable in 2001-07 because he kept saying the band was moving forward with a new beginning. That isn't the case anymore, and the band runs on nostalgia fumes and people need to accept that. As far as I'm concerned, there's no reason to bitch in 2010 about the set list because the pattern was established years ago. Axl, GNR, and the fans were unable to come to terms with the reality.

Its time to come to terms with reality. This band isn't Audioslave. You're going to be reminded of 1987 with a few other songs sprinkled in. Might be a few 1991 bonuses thrown in, might not.

If such a set list bothers you(or anyone), probably shouldn't buy a ticket.

You also get to experience a man in his mid 40s singing 'Youth Gone Wild'.

He isn't catering to people who want to hear Silkworms and The General. We're already there. He has to cater to general audiences who want to hear him and a rotating line up perform Jungle, and if the arena is still sitting empty, bring an act aboard who can fill the rest of the venue.

The sad thing is that it didn't have to be like this. He could have easily charted a new course like Cornell did with Audioslave. Didn't happen, and anyone expecting the band to concentrate on current events is living in an alternate universe that transpired in 2001.

i disagree, we ARE primarily the only ones there (specifically in the us where you and i preside) and i never said he has to play new song/s and i never said i wouldn't go if he doesn't.

are you reading my posts, james? 16

i said the opposite - I'm going either way

all i said was i would like see a brand new song.

your response said there is no reason to play a new song.

you still haven't convinced me that playing one or two new songs would be a bad thing and if you think that gnr cannot trade in 'live and let die for 'the Genral, as you referenced, without the casual fans walking out of the show you're crazy. 3

and it would certainly make us die hards happy so there is reason and plenty of it.

the fact that cd2 may not come out in this decade is irrelevant as well since it is called CD 2.

it would still be cd world tour 4 and that is getting to be a bit 'played out.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Lose the covers is one thing I'd like to see. I don't go to a GNR show to see them play LALD or KOHD. I go there to see them play GNR tunes, those covers were ones the old band did for fun, let this band do new covers or their own GNR tunes (i.e. CD tunes) instead of covers. If he feels like throwing in a TSI cover that's different, they never even fucking toured that album and apart from Attitude not a single track on it was ever played regularly.

I've got a friend who's not a diehard fan who loves KOHD.  It's his favorite GNR song, or at least one of his faves.  He loved the 2002, 2006, and older versions too.  So while I agree, I wouldn't miss KOHD or LALD, there are plenty of people who would still love to hear those songs.

I'm hoping, DJ pretty much saying they've been working on 40 songs, means they'll rotate songs on a nightly basis.

As for playing NEW songs.  I would highly doubt that, at least early on.  IF this tour goes on and on and on, like we all hope, then a NEW song could sneak its way in somewhere down the line.  But I think the focus is probably on Chinese Democracy at this point.  Yes I realize this is CD tour version 4 or whatever, but the album is out now.  It's a little different.  Before we weren't sure it'd ever see the light of day.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

As long as they play songs that they did not play on the 06-07 tour I'll be pretty happy. Whether that is including This I Love, Sorry, Shackler's Revenge, etc. or even a re-introduction of Riad or a different UYI tune. There just has to be some change from night to night or at the VERY least from tour to tour.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Yeah I've always been against the setlist complainers, but if there isn't a change this time around I might have to jump on their bandwagon.  There's no excuse not to change things up NOW.  Before CD was released I could understand where they were coming from, but now the cat is out of the bag.  Release the beast!

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

40 songs is cool....it'd be nice to go into the gig and not be pretty sure about the songs that would be played

i'm tellin ya, 1/2 classics, 1/2 CD would own 9

they were playing 5-6 cd songs before the album was out...i'd hope that they'd at least go to 8 CD songs regularily...expecially if they are gonna properly promote chinese democracy

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
war wrote:

you still haven't convinced me that playing one or two new songs would be a bad thing and if you think that gnr cannot trade in 'live and let die for 'the Genral, as you referenced, without the casual fans walking out of the show you're crazy. 3

I didn't say it would be a bad thing. Just said it's not going to happen.

In Los Angles in 2006, some hardcores got a chant going for Prostitute at some point during the show. The chants were ignored. The song was actually an alternate on the set list.

If he's not willing to play songs on his own set list, why would he be willing to play something else not yet released?

Hey, I'm all for new material. The more the merrier. I'm one of the few people that can live without any of the old material. Love those songs, but haven't listened in years. I've just decided to accept what the band has become, and adjusted my expectations. If they decide to hit us over the head with new material and a quick album release, I'll be happy as a pig in shit. Give me a set list like this:

Chinese Democracy
Better
Riad
Jungle
Berlin
If the World
The General
Civil War
SCOM
Sorry
November Rain
Soul Monster
The Garden
Patience
Atlas Shrugged
It's So Easy
YCBM
PC

I'll be there in three shakes of a lamb's tail.

Pipe dreaming aside, I'm expecting a heavy dose of AFD and sprinklings of UYI and CD. However, since the trilogy concept appears to be dead and there's no reunion on the horizon, he might as well start whipping out UYI tracks like The Garden, Civil War,etc. That is more likely at this point than The General, Zodiac, Berlin,etc.

Board footer